Shot my first fox

mitchiet123

Hi all,

finally shot my first fox. Got it with the .17hmr at about 90 yards, although it is hard to estimate distance at night. Then went on to get another two in the next 30 minutes or so.

With 10 rabbits taken that night as well. On a golf course next to a railway line so foxes are a plenty!

didnt call them I just stalked- had no luck with calling and used a electronic call and a hand squeak and a wooden rabbit call they all look at it and run around or run off! Any tips guys??

also are these big foxes or not as I've never shot one before!

cheers,
mitch

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 111
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    283.6 KB · Views: 114
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    348.6 KB · Views: 109
didnt call them I just stalked- had no luck with calling and used a electronic call and a hand squeak and a wooden rabbit call they all look at it and run around or run off! Any tips guys??
firstly well done on your 1st fox and as for the foxes running around and running off it could be a number of factors it could be that theyve been sqweaked and missed in the past so are wise to it, they could be trying to get down wind of you to work out what you are, it could even be somthing as simple as they can see you, if your on the skyline or have lights behind you or even just stood on somthnig light in colour like freshly cut silage grass (not very likely this time of year i know) you will stand out like a sore thumb to a fox even on the darkest on nights. Also you say that youve tried hand calling wooden calls and electronic calls which is fine but use them in moderation and dont get over excited with them, your new to foxing and just like me and everyone else when your new to foxing you see a set of eyes in the lamp or see a fox walk out in front of you,your heart rate goes through the roof, you grab youre caller and blow on it at 200 mph as loud as you can and without knowing it you speed up resulting in somthing sounding like a parrot being hung which the fox realises is wrong and puts it off so try "and i know its hard from experience when your new to it" but try and keep calm when calling. i would also say 3 callers is probs to much for you right now so stick to one and get good at it before you move on to the next you need to learn and get a feel for when to call, how much, how loud and for how long and this i think cant be shown to you you just have to try it for yourself and learn from your mistakes and the first type of calling i suggest you should learn is how to call using your hand as its the only call you can never leave at home or have the batteries run out on you
atb sir-lamp-alot

Well done mate! I shot my first fox in 1998 from the sunroof of a Landy with a Lincoln no2 shotgun on a huge stubble field. Since then, I can honestly say that even after many hundreds they've all been just as exciting! I shot two last night and still had to write a post about it in here because I was buzzing so much :D

Loads to learn about foxing, I found it worth reading paddy hooks book on foxing, lots of helpful tips/ scenarios in there

Loads to learn about foxing, I found it worth reading paddy hooks book on foxing, lots of helpful tips/ scenarios in there

Thank you - I'm glad you enjoyed it! As above, I still get a buzz from every fox, and the two of us are out almost every night!

Back