6BR loads

Franklin2890

I am waiting on my BR coming back from proof. While waiting what's people tried and tested loads for the BR?? At the moment the few people who I have spoke to have suggest 105AMAX and varget any one tried this particular load?

105 amax with 30.2gn varget ( if you can find some) at 20" thou off the lands works great for me

105 amax with 30.2gn varget ( if you can find some) at 20" thou off the lands works great for me

Hi urx
i have manger to get a tube kept back for me and possibly another (depending on the other guy collecting it)
what groups is this load producing for you?

If you have trouble getting Varget, try Vit N140, good alternative, it's what I use behind 105's, I take it yours is an 8 twist.

Reactions: bow
Varget under either 105gr A-max or 87gr V-max

i have some N150 to try as an alternative. Supposed to be better than n140. Yet to find out myself.

Varget under either 105gr A-max or 87gr V-max

i have some N150 to try as an alternative. Supposed to be better than n140. Yet to find out myself.

n150- a lot better than n140 its the powder i use in my 6br bench gun with berger 108s.

I love the 6br. I did some load testing with Varget with my 6br using 108gn Berger bullets. These were the results - a bit of lateral spread due to wind. These were all seated right out to the lands - Ended up with 29.6 Varget and 10 thou jump.

6BR 220 yds

I love the 6br. I did some load testing with Varget with my 6br using 108gn Berger bullets. These were the results - a bit of lateral spread due to wind. These were all seated right out to the lands - Ended up with 29.6 Varget and 10 thou jump.

6BR 220 yds
nice groupings mate would be over the moon if I can achieve anything close to your group with 29.6

I'm running 30 gr benchmark under a 87 gr pill,

Also running it with a 70 gr pill and 32 gr of benchmark and I'm just shocked at just how good this load is in a tikka 595 with a 24" tube fully bedded, little recoil and no sight picture lose at all.

Stunning is the word I found with this rifle and calibre from day one years ago,

Bob

Last edited:
31grs Varget / 87gr Vmax does it for me in my 12 twist..

Last edited:
yep 105 amax and varget 30 grn for me works.it was shooting really sweet but went off the boil during the first benchrest match i had a play in.25 shots averaged .48 i think and thats the worst mine has shot lol. i have a file with lots of .25 3 shot groups don't know what happened on the benchrest day? that said i did load developement in about 20 shots and have not had cause to check it since.can't see much point in chasing tighter and wasting barrel life when i can't call the wind to within .5 moa . the 6mm br is a cracking round.

Been looking at my reloading manual and it has not got the max/min load or the COAL for 105s has any one got this to give me a starting point? I will be using varget

We tryed 29-30.2 grains of varget goin up in .2s 5thou into lans. 29.2 gave three touching 29.4 all in maybe .35 .4 of a closter and opened up from there. How do people find these bullets shoot? In lans or jumpted?

We tryed 29-30.2 grains of varget goin up in .2s 5thou into lans. 29.2 gave three touching 29.4 all in maybe .35 .4 of a closter and opened up from there. How do people find these bullets shoot? In lans or jumpted?

Once I've found a promising powder charge (I load them all out to the lands if I can) I then load a bunch at that weight, all loaded out as long as they'll go. When I get to the range I shoot a five shot group, then for the next five I use my Lee hand press with a micro-seating die and seat the next 5 in another 5 or 10 thou and shoot them. Seat the next 5 a further 5 or 10 thou and shoot again.

Ideally you should see the groups shrink then start to loosen up again as you go through the sweet spot. The 108gn Bergers in my rifle like to be jumped about 10 thou - I tried the 105 Amax but couldn't get much more than .3 or .4 moa with them.

You may need to think about other factors apart from pure accuracy, magazine length, legal energy requirements, keeping them supersonic at extended ranges etc.
And of course, keep an eye open for pressure signs.

If you have trouble getting Varget, try Vit N140, good alternative, it's what I use behind 105's, I take it yours is an 8 twist.Varget under either 105gr A-max or 87gr V-max

My mate used 70/75 grn Noslers BT's and its deadly accurate

D
If you have trouble getting Varget, try Vit N140, good alternative, it's what I use behind 105's, I take it yours is an 8 twist.
Hi have any load data for n140 and 105 amax
In 24” 1-8 twist

This may help you -

Load for 87vmax in my 8 twist 22" Walther barrel is 31gr N135 with a 35thou jump COAL 2.331 @ 3070 FPS.
For 105amax my gunsmith gave me load data for Ramshot Big game @32.6gr with a 12thou jump COAL 2.445 however I've never loaded this recipe yet.
As posted N140 should give good results as N135 with lighter bullets.

Back