Antlers in velvet, mounting?

skippy1001

Hi all, this topic may be better covered in the taxidermy section so i must apoligise for both my spelling and my placing of this post! (very tired, been stalking for 48hrs!)

i have 6 Roe antlers which i would like to mount, they where all in velvet. i have boiled the heads and the velvet has sloughed off very easily.

my question is: How do i colour the Antlers to give that "hard antler look"? (if it is at all possible)?

Are there any "tricks" to getting soft antler looking respectable?

Hope you can help!

Thanks

Skipp.

The best trick is to shoot them a few weeks later when they have natural colour and hardness.
In the old days May 1st was the starting date for shooting Roebucks so this self-made problem did not occur.

HWH.

Hi all, this topic may be better covered in the taxidermy section so i must apoligise for both my spelling and my placing of this post! (very tired, been stalking for 48hrs!)

i have 6 Roe antlers which i would like to mount, they where all in velvet. i have boiled the heads and the velvet has sloughed off very easily.

my question is: How do i colour the Antlers to give that "hard antler look"? (if it is at all possible)?

Are there any "tricks" to getting soft antler looking respectable?

Hope you can help!

Thanks

Skipp.

Skipp, There are stains available from stalking shop sites.

ft

Edit; http://www.stalkersuk.com/index.php?cPath=22

Last edited:
Thanks for stating the obvious stag1933: however these deer have been culled for welfare reasons, along with the other 26 doe's in the previous three weeks. I would have loved to have been able to let the bucks mature and see what there true potential could have been, but this was not an option.

flytie: thanks for the info, a straight forward answer to a straight forward question!

thanks

Skipp.

potassium permanganate as Willie said, goes on purple but will dry brown then just polish up the tips, used to be able to buy it at any chemist's don't know if you still can.
Alternatively Bushwear sells an antler stain, they are in Stirling so quite close to you.

OOh.. Potassium permanganate! i would never have tried or thought of that! Thats a TOP TIP!! im sure i can get some from the lab next week. i have cleaned the heads, and applied a little brown boot polish, all in all im not too disapointed with them, but they could easily be improved.

Thanks for the replys wille-gunn and bogtrotter, very much appreaciated!

Skipp.

The best trick is to shoot them a few weeks later when they have natural colour and hardness.
In the old days May 1st was the starting date for shooting Roebucks so this self-made problem did not occur.

HWH.

Stop cracking me up Hubert I cant stand it:rofl:

Hi skippy1001
I had a guy shoot a sika that was still in velvet, the antler was hard under the velvet. It looked a good trophy so asked my taxidermist if we could do a skull mount and preserve the velvet, answer to this was yes. so one skull mount with velvet totally preserved.
On anouther note, i had a mate who was given a massive red stag head still in velvet, he was asked if he could do something with it. He did a skull mount then took all velvet off. As he is in the highlands he used peat to colour the antlers. He simply rubbed it on till he got the colour he wanted. The peat nicely stained and looked good.
Hope this helps.

HWH.
:D:tiphat:

Sam

Back