Advice. . Trigger

Cut+Squirt

Guys, I wonder if any of you can give a bit of advice in relation to a rifle basix trigger.

I have just finished fitting one to a friends Remington 700, I use one myself and generally speaking rate them highly.

The fitting itself was straight forward, however no matter how much adjustment I try I simply can not stop the rifle slam firing.

To this end it looks like the trigger will need to be returned and the factory one re-fitted, as given the right circumstances it's clearly unsafe.

To say I'm unimpressed would be an understatement.

Has anyone else had this issue with a Rifle Basix trigger?
The one that I use is quite old so I'm wondering if they have maybe changed the design in recent years.

As in fires on bolt close?

which model is it?
Adjustable?
I assume all the springs behind the adjustment screws are present are they?
can only be a failure to hold the sear or the sear to bolt cocking piece is not engaging properly

i find some after market triggers for other brands only have one sear profile but the cocking piece can have many depending on application or aftermarket parts.

Last edited:
As in fires on bolt close?

which model is it?
Adjustable?
I assume all the springs behind the adjustment screws are present are they?
can only be a failure to hold the sear or the sear to bolt cocking piece is not engaging properly

i find some after market triggers for other brands only have one sear profile but the cocking piece can have many depending on application or aftermarket parts.

Yes that's right Ed, if the bolt is closed with any sort of force it fires.

The trigger is the Rifle Basix LV1-K 8oz - 1.5lb and is brand new.
It's a bloody strange one as other than the slam fires the trigger felt beautiful.
I'm guessing there's something defective as it apparently should be set at a safe working release direct from the supplier.

the trouble with a preset light trigger is it relies on the union of sear and cocking piece to create the resitance
if they dont have the cocking piece when they set it and the one on the rifle is slightly smoother, shorter, smaller then all of a sudden you have a slam firing rifle

could be good for park culls and rapid CQ engagement!

I got a Rifle Basix trigger last week, and where it had been drilled for the hinge pin etc., it was so far out of true that I asked the company if there machinists were intoxicated and blind folded when it was drilled.
That would also fire when the bolt was closed, but would not fire from the trigger as it was locked solid from being out of line.
I complained and sent it back, but the dealer was reluctant to send me a replacement in case I had the same problem, they wanted to give me a refund instead. I insisted on a replacement which turned up today.
I have just fitted the new one and it is a dream with no problems at all.
So it may be that yours has been drilled on the ****. Stick some cocktail sticks or biro inserts through the holes and you will be able to see if the holes are at an angle.

I have 2 Rifle BasiX and a Jewel. The Jewel is crisper, but the two Rifle BasiX work very well. Never had any issues. Much better than the standard Remmy triggers

I got a Rifle Basix trigger last week, and where it had been drilled for the hinge pin etc., it was so far out of true that I asked the company if there machinists were intoxicated and blind folded when it was drilled.
That would also fire when the bolt was closed, but would not fire from the trigger as it was locked solid from being out of line.
I complained and sent it back, but the dealer was reluctant to send me a replacement in case I had the same problem, they wanted to give me a refund instead. I insisted on a replacement which turned up today.
I have just fitted the new one and it is a dream with no problems at all.
So it may be that yours has been drilled on the ****. Stick some cocktail sticks or biro inserts through the holes and you will be able to see if the holes are at an angle.

What you describe is exactly what has happened with this trigger.
It will be removed from the rifle at the weekend, and will be winging it's way straight back to the supplier. . When selling a critical component such as a trigger such shoddy workmanship is truly shocking.

Last edited:
My Rifle Basix trigger was the same, when the bolt was cycled quickly it would slam fire. A look on their web site tells you how to adjust the trigger, it took 5 mins to do mine and now its perfect.

I had one of these do the very same and had a gunsmith look at it, a spring inside had been broken. After that i just bought jewell triggers.

Had the same problem with a Rifle Basix trigger on my Rem 700 and didn't like the safety catch either. Sent it back and got myself a Timney fitted straight in with no problems.

Maybe I should have put this in here,:D
[h=2]After market triggers.[/h]
I must admit, I have been very happy over the years with standard triggers,but recently having experience of Timney, & last nights bunny bashing using a Riflebasix fitted in the Fireball, How many sight pictures had been lost over all those years?... Landlady was very pleased to be putting Rabbit on the bank holiday menu too.:) Old dogs & new tricks.​

I had the exact same experience with the same trigger on a 3 box old remmy 700. I got a replacement and it worked without problem afterwards but I have heard of this occurring more than once. Going to give a CG trigger a go soon.

Back