Tried and tested 270 rounds? For roe and red

Lakies

lads looking for any feedback for tried and tested bullet heads for roe and red, recently went from
factory rounds to 130gr sst homeloads and after shooting a couple of roe with them im not impressed with their lack of expansion. I will use the rest of the bullet heads up on red deer later on the year and they group great with the load but I need another bullet for roe anybody any favourites before I buy more I might not be impressed with?

lads looking for any feedback for tried and tested bullet heads for roe and red, recently went from
factory rounds to 130gr sst homeloads and after shooting a couple of roe with them im not impressed with their lack of expansion. I will use the rest of the bullet heads up on red deer later on the year and they group great with the load but I need another bullet for roe anybody any favourites before I buy more I might not be impressed with?
SST bullets not expanding. Are you pushing them fast enough, or too fast? I've used 139gr 7mm on roe and fallow and they did the job very well. .270 is a marmite round, allways got talked out of one as I like to get close as I can.

They are loaded 59gr 4831, dont know how fast they are going as don't have a chrono but out of all the test loads that load grouped best, I'll use them up on red but I'd rather find a bullet that I could find a load and use it as an all round bullet.

They are loaded 59gr 4831, dont know how fast they are going as don't have a chrono but out of all the test loads that load grouped best, I'll use them up on red but I'd rather find a bullet that I could find a load and use it as an all round bullet.

personally i would call that an all round bullet and load for the 270 !

That's what I thought lee, but over the last week ive not been impressed with them, before these I used winchester silvertip and thought they were a very good bullet but at £45 a box, heard the sst was a good bullet also so went with it may be outstanding on red/sika don't know I'll have to wait until later in the year to find out. Thought I'd ask on here to save me buying loda of tips until I find the right 1

dont like SST's but am surprised they are not expanding
its usually the complete opposite at UK stalking distances and factory or faster MV's

59gr of 4831 is well into that range

use the 130gr Interlocks, pretty much the same POI
slkightly arger groups than the corresponding SST weight but not enough to merit not using them

have used them on foxes, roe and reds (oh and hoodie crows!)
expand well but not too well at all speeds/distances

also the speer SP is good

If you want to try some Speer 100gr, 150gr or 130gr Interlocks I can sort you out a few

I am using the same load with very good expansion on roe but way too much on reds, interlocks like ed says are good as are partitions,
usually sst with the 270 gives you a huge blood trail with a good size hole so very suprising you are not getting expantion, I have slowed my sst down to see how they work on reds but to me it is better to use correct bullet for the size of game you are shooting, partitions seem to do very well on anything that they hit, atb wayne

Bewsher thanks I'll see how I get on, sounds like interlocks or partitions are a good option.

wayne ive only tested a couple of them but so far I'm not impressed mate the ones that hit hard bone have worked fine but the ones that have hit rib the exit hole ain't been that big 1 was a lung shot and the damage was minimal. Do you know how fast your firing them? I could maybe get it to a chrono and see, I bought them as they seemed a good option for an all round bullet. I'll maybe try a few more before I make my mind up on them. I use a 22-250 aswell but id like to keep that for myself and find a good all round bullet for the 270 so I can use it as a rifle for clients and the hill.

I have no experience on shooting Reds, but i use Federal Powershok 130gr in my .270 on Roe and Fallow. I cant fault them. They perform very well from Muntjac to rutting Fallow bucks. I think I pay £22 for 20.

can I ask how you are determining lack of expansion, did you have runners or is it the size of the exit wound? Presumably we are talking chest shots and if so how badly damaged were the internal organs. The reason I'm asking is that I have had Nosler Ballistic tips expand very rapidly internally yet leave a tiny exit wound as only the solid base had exited.

can I ask how you are determining lack of expansion, did you have runners or is it the size of the exit wound? Presumably we are talking chest shots and if so how badly damaged were the internal organs. The reason I'm asking is that I have had Nosler Ballistic tips expand very rapidly internally yet leave a tiny exit wound as only the solid base had exited.

Like i said mate ive only used a handful but on chest shots the damage has been minimal a lung shot with very little damage maybe it was just 1 of them shots who knows I'll try another few before I write them off

I have only ever used three loads in .270's and I was very happy with all of them.

130grn RWS H-Mantle factory rounds in an estate rifle that had to be used with factory ammo. I would go as far as to say this is the best UK deer load that i've ever used in any calibre. I suspect that you would have to sell a kidney to buy a box now!

130grn Sierra Gamekings with Reloader 22. I can't remember the exact load without looking at my notes. Perfectly acceptable results in all criteria.

110 Hornady V-Max with H414. Stupidly accurate and extremely effective for head shooting park deer. I only chest shot a few wild deer, mainly roe and a few fallow, with this load and I don't remember it being as bad for damage as you might expext.

Have these been skinny winter roe?

And did the bullet mainly miss bone?

If it misses bone on the way in (slips between the ribs), there's really very little resistance to start expansion. I use SSTs in my .243, and have not had a problem (well, maybe a touch too much expansion at short range), but they've always at least hit a rib. However, before switching to them, I had a lot of runners earlier in the winter - all small, skinny animals where the bullet just slipped through. I convinced myself it was the bullet (Sako 90gr soft point), but I think it also had a lot to do with the size and condition of the animals.

Also watched a friend shoot a fallow buck with Federal 100gr soft point this weekend. These usually expand very well indeed - but again, this missed bone both going in and coming out. Neat, calibre sized hole both entry and exit. Fortunately a calm animal, but it did trot quite a way, and then stood around looking dazed for a while before falling over. No blood trail that we could find - even though we could see exactly where it had been from footprints in the frost.

I have no experience on shooting Reds, but i use Federal Powershok 130gr in my .270 on Roe and Fallow. I cant fault them. They perform very well from Muntjac to rutting Fallow bucks. I think I pay £22 for 20.

That's my go-to round for the .270 too. I've killed whitetail, roe and hinds with it. Great round :thumb:

58gr H4831, 140gr Nosler Accubond, stunningly accurate and 2800fps from my 20" .270 Finnlight,
also used 130gr Nosler BT's very accurate but come apart on contact; 53gr N160

FlyBoy270

Not winter roe mate this has been bucks, that's the reason I said I'll try a few more to see if it's because of the rib issues, the ones that have hit proper bone have been fine just the chest shots, but that's where clients are told to shoot them so could be an issue.

i used rws at the start of the winter and they were fine, also used fed powershok in 270 and 22-250 ive fired them for years out my 22-250 only changed them recently for homeloded vmax. I did think about trying the 110gr vmax out the 270 but didn't know how they would be on reds compared with 130s, although could be sore on roe but I'd rather meat damage than a wounded deer.

That's my go-to round for the .270 too. I've killed whitetail, roe and hinds with it. Great round :thumb:

Yes, they are! I took them with me to South Africa and they knocked down Warthog, Springbok, Blesbok, Impala, etc.. Im yet to find a beast they cant handle.

Back