anybody used lasarotta ?

Hi, Yes. I have been on one trip with them and wasn't overly impressed. I think that was the general verdict of the group. We were promised a massive of bag of something like 50+ boar., obviously that never happened and it was just an average hunt of 8-12 boar a day. The refund for the promised bag was in the form of booking yet another hunt with them! There was lots of jumping in and out of cramped minibuses, changed location mid hunt, and a lot of general confusion amongst the hunters. Some people moaned about the walking but I didn't mind that. That's just my experience, could well be different for others of course! This was about 2008/2009 I think.

Hi, Yes. I have been on one trip with them and wasn't overly impressed. I think that was the general verdict of the group. We were promised a massive of bag of something like 50+ boar., obviously that never happened and it was just an average hunt of 8-12 boar a day. The refund for the promised bag was in the form of booking yet another hunt with them! There was lots of jumping in and out of cramped minibuses, changed location mid hunt, and a lot of general confusion amongst the hunters. Some people moaned about the walking but I didn't mind that. That's just my experience, could well be different for others of course! This was about 2008/2009 I think.

50+ Boar in a wild free range trip is hard work unless you use the best areas, but that costs a lot.

Tackb.....

One word....

Avoid!

We did two trips with them! First was to an enclosed area where we were promised 50+ boar between a party of 12 of us. We did see and shoot a few but nothing like the promised numbers...quite a few of the party were very disappointed. We complained when we got back and had a "discount" on another trip, we which took....

Second trip was a nightmare where we saw and shot less than 4-5 boar per day between a whole party of us. We kicked off and were taken to another area where magically we saw more boar but not in the numbers promised!
Many of the group didn't even fire a shot in anger!
Accommodation was a run down roadside motel!
The chap who runs it appears to fall out with various landowners who then seem to end up chasing our shoot organiser for payment. There are also some very very unsavoury characters who own and run some of these estates. The sort of people who know where the bodies are actually buried!
So...be warned.....typical of many of these outfits...promise 50+ animals a day and will deliver less than half of that. If you do book make sure you book an enclosed area otherwise there is a lot of standing around in the cold for a fleeting glimpse of the arse end of a boar!!
Also be warned he will try and sell you various pheasant, partridge, dove shooting, a luxury yacht or a Croatian castle/villa!
Taff

Just interested to see if you went wild boar hunting. I went with Lasarotta a few years back, a chap called Bogdan. It was totally unorganised and I actually demanded my money back at the airport because I was on my way from Slovenia to Croatia when the driver got the call to say it was cancelled, so had to drive back to Slovenia and re book into an hotel and flew out the next day. Avoid at all costs. Would be interested to know if you went with another outfitter.

I never went in the end , this plus people I trust warned me off !

boar is still on the bucket list

I never went in the end , this plus people I trust warned me off ! boar is still on the bucket list
John Robson has a cracker of an offer if you are willing to join in the drinking and photo bombing and willing to go in December.
The Hotel is first class and if he is still using the same ground, I think he is, then you can be sure of some shooting too.

I got back yesterday from my third trip with Frank Iles at Basswood. If you're looking for a trip after boar then Frank is solid and dependable. Once again this was a trip with a great bunch of like-minded folk, though with perhaps less emphasis on the drinking and more on the overall craic.

We hunted unenclosed ground near Slatina on two days and saw plenty of boar, though unfortunately the Saturday in the mountains was somewhat wrecked by heavy snow overnight on Friday. Slatina is about 2.5 hours from Zagreb, so a longer transfer than for those who shoot 45 mins or so from the airport. Against that, we didn't have the hassle of having to pay any additional cost for carrying firearms with Croatia Airlines - something that seemed to crop up with several other parties on the same flights.

As ever, your chance of success owes a great deal to luck and where the boar decide to run. We had a couple in our party who never got to fire in anger, as opposed to others who knocked over several boar. I had two, which was double my total of last year.

I got back yesterday from my third trip with Frank Iles at Basswood. If you're looking for a trip after boar then Frank is solid and dependable. Once again this was a trip with a great bunch of like-minded folk, though with perhaps less emphasis on the drinking and more on the overall craic.

We hunted unenclosed ground near Slatina on two days and saw plenty of boar, though unfortunately the Saturday in the mountains was somewhat wrecked by heavy snow overnight on Friday. Slatina is about 2.5 hours from Zagreb, so a longer transfer than for those who shoot 45 mins or so from the airport. Against that, we didn't have the hassle of having to pay any additional cost for carrying firearms with Croatia Airlines - something that seemed to crop up with several other parties on the same flights.

As ever, your chance of success owes a great deal to luck and where the boar decide to run. We had a couple in our party who never got to fire in anger, as opposed to others who knocked over several boar. I had two, which was double my total of last year.

This is a good example of you pays your money, and takes your chances..................

I've been with Frank Iles, and my experience was very different. The trip was appalling, to the point where he got a refund from the organizers for one of the days, but instead of just giving the group a refund, he made out he was doing people a favour, by paying peoples bar bill. That's all very well, but whilst that was ok for some (big drinkers) I don't drink, so it was no good to me at all.

I understand that you can have poor days, even poor trips, but as far as I'm concerned, he didn't look after the group, when he had the opportunity to do so, and I will never use him again. Others swear by him !

Luck and the grounds he decides to use and the local payment system are the deciding factors.
He used to pay the local guy so much based on pigs shot and if not many were shot Frank gave the guns a rebate, now he pays the local guy a flat rate regardless of how many are shot.
I am now using agents that base the price on the number of Boar shot, not sex or size but total number per day.
I pay a fixed price for the airport transfer food and accommodation and licence based on the number of days and then a fee based on so many Boar shot each day.
I have been with Frank when the beaters and dogs all packed up and went home after the morning break and was told we could have a shooting contest if we wanted to fill the rest of the day !!
The last time I went with him, your first trip I think Dom, our total number of pigs shot for the three days was 7 of which one was shot from the track on our way to get in to position by mini bus, another shot on the last day by a member of another group of 15 hunters that joined us for the last day.
We were a group of twelve and on the last day joined by a group of fifteen so not very lucky that time at all.
I have been with Frank on several occasions, sometimes twice in one season.
His admin cannot be faulted and he always seems to get a group of like minded guys together so the craic is always enjoyable.
I realise it is a group effort as opposed to individual scores regarding Boar on the ground at the end of the day but if the number isn't many and not many shots have been fired overall then that makes a big difference too.

Last edited:
Eddy

Your post makes some good points, and emphasises that what suits one person might not suit another.

With Frank I actually like the idea that everything is covered, regardless of how many boar we may - or may not - get to shoot.

If I recall correctly, last week it was 120 shots for 20 or 21 boar. Given that the middle day in the snow at Jelen (the Croatian hunting club, not the UK company) saw only 3 boar for half a dozen shots, I don't think we did too badly. Of course some people didn't get a boar at all during the trip, and I think one gun didn't even get a shot, but others of course got more. What was particularly nice was that three people got their first boar - and two of those were on their first ever trip for driven boar.

I had a whopping 3 shots.....but I had 2 boar for that, so I was happy. Last year's trip I had about 10 shots for 2 boar (not one, as I mistakenly said above), so again I was happy. I think the total boar and shots last year were above this year's total, but then the middle day - again with Jelen - was much more productive. The first year when you and I were on the same trip I don't think I even had a shot, but I still enjoyed the trip enough to return again.

I may have misread your post, but personally it wouldn't suit me to not know the cost of the trip until all the boar were counted up. If there are thirty boar shot in total, but I didn't shoot any, I'd be a bit miffed at having to put my hand in my pocket. Or do you mean you pay based on the number of boar you personally shot? If so, that might be an interesting model.

I guess paying for boar shooting is much like paying for deer stalking, in that you have to find a model that works for you and your particular preferences. I don't have the same experience as you or many others on here who have hunted driven boar, but I've found a model that suits me, at least for the present.

The Jelen club used to be one of the best.
You were dropped off from the mini-bus on the mountain tracks, good arcs of fire, well organised and the food was good too.
But then Frank fell out with them after they all went home after the mid morning fire.
The price I pay on the trips I use now are based on the number of Boar shot by the group regardless of who shoots them but at least you know in advance what the maximum price is going to be, it is just a matter then of who will be the lucky Boar Magnets ;)
If the maximum number isn't taken then the price paid is reduced accordingly.
If we shoot fifty Boar between us on the next trip that I am going on this Friday, I know the maximum price I will have to pay and I am sure it will have been a fast and furious trip.

Last edited:
We've been to Jelen this year and last, so whatever fallout there was seems to have been repaired.

The food is still excellent :D

Having a price based on 50 boar sounds a good idea - roughly what price does the trip work out as per head?

willie_gunn;1047850Having a price based on 50 boar sounds a good idea - roughly what price does the trip work out as per head?[/QUOTE said:
1210 Euros plus flight by Easy jet of about £90 including rifle depending on when you book the flight.
I am going twice and the second flight cost £180 with chosen seats and insurance.

Back