Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deer Strike on Animal 24:7 now

Deer Strike on Animal 24:7 now

I'm just watching Animal 24:7 on the beeb and they are dealing with a deer strike incident.

Interesting that the people that had hit the deer called 'Mrs Tiggywinkles' rescue centre rather than RSPCA/Police - while they brought in the roe doe that had been struck, there was a fallow and a roe buck also brought in in separate incidents.

The buck died, and in the end the roe doe had to be put down as it had broken its back.

More interestingly, the fallow (looked like a young one as it was still 'spotty') just had a wound to the rear leg, and it was noted in the programme that this type of injury was seen a lot - where the deer jump over fences and get the leg caught in the top wires.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that people call rescue centres when they see an injured wild animal - we'd all like to see an injured animal allowed to return to health where its possible - but I was kind of surprised that they'd call a rescue centre in a deer strike incident.

Pippa, it's indicative of a lack of information given to the general public, that deer don't do very well after contact with vehicles, more information on the TV would redress the balance, this is where Country file tends to let the job down, & Ms Strachan could help such a lot, but all part of the rich tapestry of life I'm afraid.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Fallow are spotty all year!

Not necessarily - just the menil variety

Wild common and melanistic often have spots throughout the year too!

Being kind to be cruel, how long would these animals have taken to travel to Tiggywhatsit's?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Storm, I'll give you that but only if we must split hairs as spots, when they do show up, tend to do so only faintly on melananistic & common winter coats

Finnbear, I know where you're coming from. I often feel that these people should prosecuted for animal cruelty. They just don't seem to know what they are doing, just blinded by 'rescuing' something.

Do they have a Licence to move deer issued by Natural England as required by the Deer act?

It's probable the people involved wouldn't know of said act.

The reason is no one calls the RSPCA is that their stock answer is to leave it and let nature take it's course. Unless of course Rolf and film crew are on hand they they will spend a fortune to save the deer.