Worksharp

User00001

Well, after much research I decided to invest in the Work sharp knife sharpener. £87 from Amazon. It arrived but had a European or US plug despite the fact that it was sent from a depot in Scotland to an address in Norfolk! Sent it back; new one arrived today, guess what? Exactly the same. How can a business care so little? Looks like I better get a refund this time and buy it from Heinnie Haynes like I should have in the first place.

Glyn

Not trying to take away from the shoddy service, but was it a European plug (two round pin)? Also what voltage does it say it works on (110, 220, 240)?

If round pin and 220/240v then you can buy a simple plug adapter.

Glyn

Not trying to take away from the shoddy service, but was it a European plug (two round pin)? Also what voltage does it say it works on (110, 220, 240)?

If round pin and 220/240v then you can buy a simple plug adapter.

It does have two thin round pins and the instructions say 230v/50Hz/0.4A.

The instructions also say don't use any adapters etc.

If you think it might be ok I will hold off sending it back again and take it into the local electrical shop and ask their opinion and buy an adapter.

It does have two thin round pins and the instructions say 230v/50Hz/0.4A.

The instructions also say don't use any adapters etc.

If you think it might be ok I will hold off sending it back again and take it into the local electrical shop and ask their opinion and buy an adapter.
Its the European pin and will work in the uk,just buy an adapter for a few quid:thumb:

I should have read your post first Glyn as I've just bought from Amazon and also has two pin plug. That said very impressed what an edge in no time.

A lot of stuff from amazon and the likes is sourced from Europe, I just cut the EU plug off and put a UK plug top on with the correct fuse in it... to work that out, look at the specifications and find the power consumption in Watts (w) you need to calculate the ampage draw (A).. dead simple A=V/w so if your worksharp states say 750w then simply divide that by the UK voltage which is 240v so 750/240=3.125A so you would need the closest fuse available above that number which would be a 5A. if it was 500w then 500/240=2.08A so you would want a 3A fuse, 2KW (heater for example) would be 2000/240=8.3A so you would need a 10A fuse.

Plug tops come from the shop with a 13A fuse in them, don't just leave that in there unless the appliance needs a 13A fuse... yes it will work but you will lose most of the intended protection of having the fuse in the first place... i.e. its dangerous!! :thumb:

For god sake just cut the plug off it and put a british one on it.

I like a simple, practical solution as much as the next man but with nearly a hundred quids worth of electrical item at stake I think I will run it with the adaptor for a while before completely invalidating the warranty by cutting bits off!

On a positive note, it does seem to be very good and I'm happy with the results so far.

Just watched a demo video in which the blade got sharpened by the belt away from the edge on on side of the blade and towards the edge on the other.
Is that how you are using it?

Just watched a demo video in which the blade got sharpened by the belt away from the edge on on side of the blade and towards the edge on the other.
Is that how you are using it?

Yes, I was a bit surprised by that too but it works. I have still used a strop to finish though.

Yes, I was a bit surprised by that too but it works. I have still used a strop to finish though.

Hope you are getting on ok with the Worksharp Glyn.
Your right it does the belt direction thing, I find that it takes a little more off on the 'belt away' side. I find to get over this I pass the blade through a little quicker on that side or pass it through an extra time on the other side.
I have had one for over a year now and am very pleased with it. So quick , easy and mega sharp even on long blades like carving knives.

Back