120gr Nosler BT loads for Sako 85 20" barrel 6.5x55

KilPil

Has anyone experience please with the above combination?
I'm trying to produce the best (for the calibre) flat trajectory, wind beating round that will work out to 400m when required.
At the moment I'm using factory 140gr SST's and am not impressed with the trajectory or wind drift. Groups are fine under perfect conditions but you wouldn't want to go out at distance without a rangefinder!
I think the barrel length is the culprit for that as the field performance of the round is nothing like what it claims on the website. I'm assuming a maximum load of a fast burning propellant with a smaller bullet will help??
I have the 120 BTs in the cupboard so intend to start there but like the look of 123gr SSTs as well
Thoughts gratefully received!

120gr BT with 43-45 grains of Reloder 17 should give you around 2900fps with a 20" barrel. Work up in 0.3gr increments. In theory R17 might be a bit fast for a 6.5x55, but it seems to work well in practise.

I wouldn't touch the 123gr SST' with a pole, they are too fragile, designed to work in a 6.8mmSPC as far as I can tell. I had some dubious hits with them from my 260.

vhit n560 50.5 grn. 5 thou of the lands sub half inch at 100mts norma brass cci br primers fantastic load in my old 85

Last edited:
I have a sako 85 finnlight with 22 inch barrel I'm using 120 bt with N160 fed gm primers , 47.5 grains , cloverleaf groups , there running at around 2900fps ,

Back