Secret Britain - Hidden Highlands

Hereford

I watched this last night - I was spirited away to the times I've spent on Skye, grazed elbows in the Cullins, Talisker whisky and the times in the Signals being dropped in the middle of nowhere solo around Mallaig and Fort William.

But mostly...... how I never get over how beautiful the western isles and highlands are - it never ceases to stop me in my tracks.

To all you guys who live, work, stalk and exist there I envy and salute you - despite all life's sh?tty hardships, you have that backdrop as you shoulder your rifle and go out the door.

Sentimental I know, but what a landscape :tiphat:

Majestic ain't it pal,

i feel like im in my element in the highlands, always depressed when I have to go home,

breathtaking

atb

kjf

I spent many of my younger years on holiday traipsing round Skye and the North west coast Glenelg, Kyle and the like, getting the tiny ferry from Glenelg to Skye often whilst my friends were on beaches in Spain and Portugal. As I grew older I loved it more and more, nothing like a Scottish summer holiday, packed for all weathers, got all weathers. My folks moved up to Tain a few years ago and so continued my long journeys up to the proper North, getting there and back at Christmas always proved challenging.

i have so far really enjoyed the series and last night was a great episode, I remember the romance of the Bonnie prince Charlie tales and that brought back great memories of trips exploring the battles and history....

I saw jobs not too long ago up there and was sorely tempted....reminds me I too need to go back soon

You're absolutely right. I toured round Scotland 10 years ago, since then I've spent the last 3 winters up in the Tweed Valley which in itself is a beautiful area. However on travelling up to my new ground I was surprisingly amazed how breath taking the western coast is. Once clear of Glasgow and loch Lomond my spirits lifted and the drive was extremely enjoyable.

I shall be stalking Skye later this year and really looking forward to that since I've never been.
I know it rains, and snows and the wind howls but when it's nice it really is something to behold.

I shall be stalking Skye later this year and really looking forward to that since I've never been.
I know it rains, and snows and the wind howls but when it's nice it really is something to behold.

Good for you (very jealous) - Skye is a very special place and I'm sure you'll love it - I have a pipe-dream of retiring (early) to a little croft up there :rolleyes:

I spent many of my younger years on holiday traipsing round Skye and the North west coast Glenelg, Kyle and the like, getting the tiny ferry from Glenelg to Skye often whilst my friends were on beaches in Spain and Portugal. As I grew older I loved it more and more, nothing like a Scottish summer holiday, packed for all weathers, got all weathers. My folks moved up to Tain a few years ago and so continued my long journeys up to the proper North, getting there and back at Christmas always proved challenging.

i have so far really enjoyed the series and last night was a great episode, I remember the romance of the Bonnie prince Charlie tales and that brought back great memories of trips exploring the battles and history....

I saw jobs not too long ago up there and was sorely tempted....reminds me I too need to go back soon

It's a bit different to Ross, that's for sure! I can say that as I was born and raised in Llangarron (bout 7 miles from you!).

I love the weather up there - having to ram the car full of everything just in case :eek: most recent trip was two years ago when I took the wife and kids up for their first ever visit. We stayed in Broadford and they loved the place, despite being sceptical about the weather! Best bit was deciding to have a bbq - we drove down to the fish man in Kyle and bought 1.5kg of langoustines in a big polystyrene box (taped up, industrial - thought nothing of it) - half way back it sounded like there was a flock of sparrows in the box :eek: They had thawed out and woken up! One large pot of salty boiling water later and we were sorted - kids still talk about that bbq!

Need to go again soon - Woodmaster's spot-on, once you clear Glasgow, skirt Loch Lomond and push towards Fort William it's a great feeling...

Apart from the stalking, have you any little gems I should go to while I'm there? A great little pub or the best fish in the world or a particularly fantastic view etc! I do like to find the things off the beaten track. I hope that trip will be the first of many over the coming years. My new ground is a good stopping off point to break the drive, have a few stalks then continue to Skye.
I like you're idea of making life more simple. I tried it down here but it ain't worked. Business just grows and grows and time becomes more difficult to find.
Scotland is on the list of places I may look to buy a little place and get away from it all.

Top (pricey) Seafood - Kinloch Lodge, Aird of Sleat (fantastic scenery)
Best Pub - Stein Inn, Waternish
Must visit - Talisker Distillery
Must see - Cullins, Old Man of Storr
Best drive into a village - driving into Elgol - if you have the time, take the boat over to Soay

To be honest, the pace of life is so slow you won't do it all - which is fine excuse to go back again..... and again!

Life needs to be simpler, but kids and 2 businesses make it manic - 9 years left on mortgage which'll coincide with the last one off to University - maybe, just maybe - Crofter with no big bills by 50? Who knows....

Cheers Hereford.
I'll print that off and put in the diary. I'll try do at least one when I'm up there.
Good luck with getting rid of your kids and them not wanting money anymore. Unfortunately I haven't got any but atleast I get to spend the money myself.

Mixed hunting photos 071.jpgMixed hunting photos 082.jpgMixed hunting photos 076.jpg

You can never get tired of the scenery in the far north of Scotland. Left to right my lease I have held for over 9 years in Sutherland, walking up Grouse. Suilven near Lochinver, west coast, we helped manage the Red deer cull for the first 2 years for the Assynt foundation. And Loch Assynt on the road from Ledmore Junction.

Happy days and long days on the open hill. Looking forward to seeing some new faces and old ones off the SD site on the two weeks later in the year.

Life needs to be simpler, but kids and 2 businesses make it manic - 9 years left on mortgage which'll coincide with the last one off to University - maybe, just maybe - Crofter with no big bills by 50? Who knows....

Absolutely NONE of my business whatsoever BUT..

..with 9 years left on your mortgage and you being (according to my maths) 41 why not extend your mortgage and buy that dream property now? You're not increasing your payments - just the term of the mortgage - which is a lot easier at 41 than 51? Or re-mortgage totally on a new (cheap) long term fix?

Then you can buy your croft, have 9 years capital growth on two properties and redeem your mortgage when the existing house is no longer needed for the kids etc? Plus you get 9 years to repair / refurb / adapt the new property to suit full time living?

Just a thought ('cos that's what we did and the results have been excellent).

Dream on......

Absolutely NONE of my business whatsoever BUT..

..with 9 years left on your mortgage and you being (according to my maths) 41 why not extend your mortgage and buy that dream property now? You're not increasing your payments - just the term of the mortgage - which is a lot easier at 41 than 51? Or re-mortgage totally on a new (cheap) long term fix?

Then you can buy your croft, have 9 years capital growth on two properties and redeem your mortgage when the existing house is no longer needed for the kids etc? Plus you get 9 years to repair / refurb / adapt the new property to suit full time living?

Just a thought ('cos that's what we did and the results have been excellent).

Dream on......

I know, however, my work here is not yet done......! I will never say never though :thumb:

Back