Renewal

cervus

I recently heard of a case where no references /Gp/ or landowners were contacted during this process is this the new norm? I understand that this was a co-terminous SGC and FAC renewal.Comments?:eek:

My references were not checked when I applied for my FAC. I had held a shotgun for 15 years, had access to land, had done my DSC1, been out with exoerienced professionals, and am a member of BASC. I think he felt confident enough after chatting for half an hour that I was not about to go postal and was experienced enough.
I recently heard of a case where no references /Gp/ or landowners were contacted during this process is this the new norm? I understand that this was a co-terminous SGC and FAC renewal.Comments?:eek:

just got mine back ,FAC,&SGC,no references checked on mine,asked them why no checks & they said it was done randomly.

My references were not checked when I applied for my FAC. I had held a shotgun for 15 years, had access to land, had done my DSC1, been out with exoerienced professionals, and am a member of BASC. I think he felt confident enough after chatting for half an hour that I was not about to go postal and was experienced enough.

Until the forms were changed your referees had to complete separate forms and return them themselves to the Police.. that is no longer the case now the forms have been simplified and I think you will find that next time your referees will either be contacted by phone or letter.

Plus different forces have different staffing level / are under differing amounts of pressure / have differing backlogs and have differing protocols etc.. etc.. With the way things are going, would you want to be the FEO/FLO who didn't check the referees after a shooter had left the reservation!?!?!?

Last edited:
On the contrary I applied using the new form (a vast improvement).

I was very surprised that they weren't called.
Until the forms were changed your referees had to complete separate forms and return them themselves to the Police.. that is no longer the case now the forms have been simplified and I think you will find that next time your referees will either be contacted by phone or letter.

Plus different forces have different staffing level / are under differing amounts of pressure / have differing backlogs and have differing protocols etc.. etc.. With the way things are going, would you want to be the FEO/FLO who didn't check the referees after a shooter had left the reservation!?!?!?

I'm curently acting as a referee for one of my mates and i got an email from police asking if i'm happy with him having a FAC... I emailed back and that was that...

Oddly I didn't even get a visit from my FEO, let alone any referees being personally contacted.

I had renewed my Shotgun cert a year beforehand (with a different FEO visiting) and the new one called for a chat, remarked that my referees had a lot of guns/rifles on their own records, asked me about stalking/deer experience and the whole thing was turned around in 2 weeks.

I don't expect it to be that smooth on my renewal I guess but it goes to reiterate the above comments that it's a random event based on resource / department / circumstance.

Back