308 rounds for shooting big boar

I`m told by friends that I need to shoot 180 grain 308 rounds for the really big Boar in Hungary . Are soft points ok or do I need some others that penetrate first then expand ?

I shoot 180grn Norma Oryx or 180grn Remington Core-lokt Ultra bonded. Tough bullets but they work for me.

I use Blaser CDP in 165gr in both 308 and 300WM for driven hunting. When high seating at night, I use Barnes TTSX in 180gr. So far, I cant really tell any difference between the two brands as both seem to anchor the boar.

Are you loading your own or shooting factory ammunition?

Wild boar vary a lot in size and toughness. Also, there is the difference between a boar rooting around and one running on adrenalin. While there is a lot of muscle and bone up high in the shoulder, the lower chest is rather narrow, so a heart shot needs so open up quickly. The Remington and Federal 180-gr RN are good ammunition, and I load the Remington Core Lokt in the .308 and .30-06. Other bullets which open up but retain some weight and penetrate deeply are the Nosler Partition and Accubond, and the Speer Grand Slam.

The distances over which driven boar are usually shot is fifty yards or less so if the animal is hit, almost anywhere forward, it will go down.
I used (Winchester WB3006ST150) 150 silver tip bullets in my .308 and did quite well for several years but can no longer get them.
I now manage quite well using Sierra 180gr round nose in both my .308 and the 30-06.
Both are reloads using Hogden powders.

I have found privi 180 gr soft points to work just as well as any other on wild boar.
Bob

got 180's Samson sp will be selling them at the H4H again at a silly price :D

Do they still make Samson? I bought 10 boxes of .30-06 Samson 180-gr RN years ago for a ridiculously low price. Great bullet ! After taking some game with them, I have been hoarding the rest.

I have some 200gr Norma Oryx, Some 180gr Lapua Megas, some 180gr CoreLokt if you wanted to buy a small number to try for your rifle

I use 150 grn on boar and they work fine with body shots.

I recently saw a TV programme about a Guy in USA who was after a "Giant hog" that had been terrorrising his local community. He said he usually used .243 on Hogs but this one called for something much bigger, a 7.62mm. It didnt make it clear which round but i found it interesting that he found .243 fine for regular hog hunting.

I recently saw a TV programme about a Guy in USA who was after a "Giant hog" that had been terrorrising his local community. He said he usually used .243 on Hogs but this one called for something much bigger, a 7.62mm. It didnt make it clear which round but i found it interesting that he found .243 fine for regular hog hunting.

More Boar/Pigs are shot with .22lr in America than any other rounds put together.

cheers Neil.

The .243 & .308 are probably the most common hunting cartridges here. There reason being is that factory ammunition is common everywhere. There was a time where one could buy ammo for them both at the newsagents. Furthermore I would have to say that the .243 has probably accounted for more pigs here than any other calibre. I have seen plenty of big pigs dropped with a .222 & a 22/250 as well , right bullet put in the right place will do it. For close up work in heavy scrub a 12 bore with 00 Buck is hard to beat.
My pig rifle was a Sako L61R 7 X 64 loaded with 160 Grain Speer Grand Slams or Nosler Solid Base when I could get them, the Partitions were too expensive.

Regards
Mike.

Last Spring, I posted about a farmer I knew who had shot a 340-lb boar which was raiding his horse feed and water in a field at the foothills of the mountains, with an AR-15, using a Winchester 64-gr bullet. It was not a body shot. His firs shot was to the base of the skull, severing the spine there and killing it instantly.

But you cannot always count on a perfect shot with plenty of time on a relaxed, unsuspecting boar. When I used to live near this fellow, and hunting in the apple orchards in the mountains nearby, I used an HK-91 with Federal 180-gr RN. It never took but one shot, no matter the angle or how wound up the boar was.

Back