Gamekeepers Contract...

kimh

Son in Law has been employed for two years first as a under keeper then as a general estate managers assistant, they stopped shooting after the first year he was there as the keeper did not 'gel with the owner', they now want to shoot again and have offered him the roll of keeper!

They have also asked him what would he like? he is currently fully employed by them but with no written contract!

So anyone out there with a contract that he can use as a basic start specific to keepering (he's got the BASC stuff) or advise please from the boyz

as a recently retired solicitor ..

He has to have a basic written contract by law - there's a template for one on the ACAS website called a statement of employment particulars, and work from there.

Once he has a total of 2 years employment - change of role doesn't matter as long as each job is back to back - he has the legal right not to be unfairly dismissed to add to his contractual rights.

No doubt one of the gamekeepers associations can provide more detailed help if he joins.

They have also asked him what would he like?

Usual H&S related items such as PPE, waterproofs, boots, wellies etc
FAC/SGC paid for
Ammunition paid for
Dog food supplied
Insurance and vets fees for working animals
New shooting suit for shoot days every season if needed
Traps snares
Vehicle+fuel+insurance provided
Rent free house including utilities

If they'll shell out for NV or TI I'd take that as well

as a recently retired solicitor ..

He has to have a basic written contract by law - there's a template for one on the ACAS website called a statement of employment particulars, and work from there.

Once he has a total of 2 years employment - change of role doesn't matter as long as each job is back to back - he has the legal right not to be unfairly dismissed to add to his contractual rights.

No doubt one of the gamekeepers associations can provide more detailed help if he joins.

This is true but what I suspect what you mean is that he already has a contract by definition just by accepting a full time job
The contract does NOT have to be written
UK Employment Law is contractually binding in the first instance with or without a paper document

Employment contracts - GOV.UK

he and you need to think very carefully about what you want to have in a paper contract and discuss this with his employer
I would never accept an employee generated contract
any contract that is specific to one keepers job may not be relevant to his

You either have a generic one describing the role and limitations (hours, travel, responsibilities, equipment, expenses, holidays etc etc)
or
you have a very detailed contract listing all manner of exceptions and aspects that may have conditions applied to them

They have also asked him what would he like? he is currently fully employed by them but with no written contract!

Just a sense check - jumping from a request, through owner I presume, from 'what would you like' to written contract?
My advice would be to start with 'what do you need to do the job' both personally and professionally. ie expected employment terms (wages, housing, transport, hours/ leave etc), facilities required to do the job (equipment, insurance, training or certs provided etc) and key responsibilities.
I'd keep it verbal for now.
Jump in with a written draft contract and he may find that he doesnt 'gel' with the owner either.
JS

Back