Panic sets in on a hog hunt!

Good call!
although I'm not sure shooting off sticks is popular In the states (from what I've seen on videos etc)? I get the impression it's seen as a bit pansy, but I might be wrong.

From some running boar and running deer shooting at BSRC Bisley I would say nowhere near enough lead given on those early shots once it took off to the right.
Interestingly the old time lion hunters used to recommend kneeling down to shoot at a charging lion incoming as the shots would be consistently level with the lion coming in at you and if standing you were constantly tracking the rifle muzzle down, increasing the risk of missing over the top if you didn't get the tracking right. Makes sense but would take some b4lls to kneel in front of charging lion

S

Yah I've heard that too. Take some serious stones but I guess experienced white hunters experienced it pretty regularly.
Also, I wouldn't take a Grendel after hog. Not hunted boar but that just seems WAY under gunned for me.

6.5 Grendel!? I have never used anything less than 30.06 on boar and would not really want to. Great video though - he gets pretty frantic towards the end!

Howdy Y'all!

That was my video in the OP. Some of your comments were spot on and some were a hoot!

Just to give some clarification, the hunt was original supposed to be stand hunt and so I did not have my shooting sticks with me. Shooting sticks are not as popular as they should be in the states, that is true, and some people certainly do consider you wimpy or pansy for using them. I like them just fine. I use monopods, bipods, and tripods, with tripods being my favorite.

Our feral hogs are generally smaller their your typical European boar and the Grendel performs very well on hogs, especially the Hornady SST 123 gr. ammo. Much more popular is the slightly lighter 120 gr. 6.8 spc rounds, a fractionally greater diameter round with a worse BC and less penetration potential. It is very popular with hog hunters here.

My favorite hunting round is the .45/70 in a lever action rifle. It is a wonderful hog round. Unfortunately, my night optics won't handle such recoil. I do sometimes hunt with a .308 that the optics will handle the recoil, but the video tends to be better with the lower recoiling rifle.

Sloppy? More so than I would like, no doubt. I still have much to learn. In the end, I still came home safe and I was able to get rid of another pest, which are the primary goals of my hunting. I certainly do prefer DRT shots as the hogs rarely run to a more convenient location.

I look forward to reading more about how y'all hunt and seeing what your videos have to offer!

Well done for coming on here and taking the criticism. Out of interest how many hits did you make out of 14 shots? I think you missed with a fair few being behind or to the side, but then that's not to say I would have done any better.
Enjoyed the vid and look forward too hearing more stories from over the pond.
One good thing that came out of that hunt was you didn't have to walk far to collect the animal.

Looks like 4 hits confirmed based on tissue damage, at least two of which were through and throughs (mid body and testicles/haunch). I will (hopefully) take a closer look at the carcass today and see what I can determine. We have been hammered by storms here in north Texas I so I didn't have much time with the hog the other night.

Criticism? No problem. Everybody is an expert when judging another's video, I have found. When you get beyond the stupid comments, blatantly obvious comments (it is video and we can all see it, LOL), there come some that are interesting, insightful, or even helpful comments. It is always easy to comment on what should have been done when you are not in the moment, but instead are watching the video from the convenience of a comfy chair.

I post what I shoot. The only stuff I edit out are profanity and periods of inaction.

As much as the video was sloppy (no argument there), here another of mine that was not. Same 6.5 Grendel AR15, but using a Pulsar Apex XD50 thermal scope instead. Distances are 40-80 yards. Every shot hit. The first shot was undoubtedly fatal on all three and the followups were simply to stop the runners. There was supposed to be a second shooter, but she didn't fire a shot for some reason. [edit] And I am using bipod shooting sticks in this video.

[video]https://youtu.be/AA2ePTCbQcw[/video]

Last edited:
Nice shooting in that second vid. The first one has gone on an email thread to friends about boar shooting...

Our feral hogs are generally smaller their your typical European boar and the Grendel performs very well on hogs, especially the Hornady SST 123 gr. ammo. Much more popular is the slightly lighter 120 gr. 6.8 spc rounds, a fractionally greater diameter round with a worse BC and less penetration potential. It is very popular with hog hunters here.

How big (small) are your boar (hogs) then!?

Back