Trying to find a decent stalking hat....

lambic

I went in a nearby RFD earlier to try to find a decent dark olive coloured, waterproof and breathable hat. In the traditional deer stalking shape.

He had about 50 hats but none were up to scratch.

Anybody point me in the right direction......?

Cheers

I have an old leather Australian Bush Hat that I bought at Scottish Game Fair 15 odd years ago. I believe it was made on the shores of Loch Ness. The leather is quite thick and it's waterproof and breathable at the same time. I have worn in snowy weather and under the hot African sun - it just works. It also shades your face well so don't bother with a veil. If it's windy I tend a flat tweed cap.

+1 on the Tilly hat .... I only have hemp one , beanie in winter or very cold days

Lifetime warranty too

Paul

The Tilley wool hat is nice for winter, but if it's really cold I grab the possum fur beanie.

Barmah hats are nice - they even make one that's waterproof and camo!

Flat caps solve no purpose other than keeping the sun out of your eyes.

Of course if you want to be really stylish, buy a loden trachtenhut ;)

I went in a nearby RFD earlier to try to find a decent dark olive coloured, waterproof and breathable hat. In the traditional deer stalking shape.

Cheers

How about this?
images

Bet you could get REALLY close.....

Here to help :D

A roll up packer hat like the Orvis Packer, is nice for all weather.
When it is really cold and drizzling, I like my thick wool hat by Filson. Comes in charcoal, brown and green.
filson-60025-main-345.jpg

Cheers

What do you determine to be the 'proper' shape? Flowerpot?

I have a Le Chameau Tetras Bob that would appear to meet all other criteria other than the unknown shape - that I have never worn and will happily part with for an agreed amount of palm crossing silver....

I got a sealskinz one, think it's the best one i've had apart from it can get a bit hot when on a stomp in summer.

Back