dedicated nightvision rifle

bobby18

Thinking of getting a rifle for dedicated nightvision,contemplating between 17 hornet and 222,won,t be shooting more than 200 yds any advice, don,t seem to be many reviews on the hornet for shooting fox .

Thinking of getting a rifle for dedicated nightvision,contemplating between 17 hornet and 222,won,t be shooting more than 200 yds any advice, don,t seem to be many reviews on the hornet for shooting fox .
Have a look at the thread I started in the rifles & calibres section, may be of some help but not for the nv.

I'm thinking about something similar for NV... but maybe going for the .204 Ruger instead.

got the 204 awesome calibre,now the summer months are coming prefer to use it daytime shooting and have a smaller calibre for the nights.

i have a cooper in 17fb for sale with all the reloading dies powder etc used it wth a photon for bunnys and a pvs14 for charlie.if intrested pm me.

was interested in fb but can,t reload

then .222/.223 seems an obvious option to me
not convinced about CF.17 options for fox in foul weather
still very light and I like a bit of downrange energy on all my rifles

50gr at 3000+ fps will buckmost winds and at 200yds you can point and shoot without worry

ho bobby

I'm just doing the same thing,

selling the 243 and bits to get a small calibre for a stand alone NV set up.

I'm with ed above I like a bullet with a bit of weight behind it, so I was looking at a 222, or another 20tac, I have a 20 tac so it would save me having more dies more brass etc so I have found a new 20 tac that I would like to have but selling gear is not easy for anyone,

I'm not a fan of the 223 but I do like the 222 its well know for its accuracy and the component parts if you reload are cheap or if you don't load the ammo is ok price wise. it will run out to 200 with ease and be accurate enough for you not to worry or struggle with confidence of taking the shot in dark conditions.

I wish you well in your search

regard's

bob.

sorry a bit the topic but what are your ideas on the nv? scope type? i tried the yukon and could not see clearly pasted my garden gate.

Spotter or rifle scope ?
did you use extra IR ? Like a T20 or better ?

I have a few units, never had an issue ( other than the ATN X SIGHT) out to 200m +

50gr at 3000+ fps will buckmost winds and at 200yds you can point and shoot without worry

The 17 centre fires are superb foxing calibres :banghead:..
Something to reassure you of its capabilities on an animal over twice the weight and size of the red fox.

http://www.rmvh.com/Movies/17with17.wmv

The 17 Centre fires slap foxes down for fun. I have shot hundreds over the years and speak directly from experience.

For the record - a 50 grn bullet at 3000 fps will drift and drop far more than the 17 CF (comparison below)

50 grn Vmax (BC 0.242) Velocity 3000 fps range 250 yrds - Drop 7.9 ins - Drift 8.7 ins (10 mph) - 487FPE

17 rem
25 grn Vmax (BC 0.230) Velocity 4040 fps range 250 yrds - Drop 3.2 ins - Drift 6.2 ins (10 mph) - 455FPE

ATB
Alan

Last edited:
The 17 centre fires are superb foxing calibres
50 grn Vmax (BC 0.242) Velocity 3000 fps range 250 yrds - Drop 7.9 ins - Drift 8.7 ins (10 mph) - 487FPE

17 rem
25 grn Vmax (BC 0.230) Velocity 4040 fps range 250 yrds - Drop 3.2 ins - Drift 6.2 ins (10 mph) - 455FPE

am sure it is...but comparing a 17rem to a video of 17predator chucking 20% heavier bullets is like comparing the .222 to the ,220swift!
but also those figures are heavily skewed in the favour of the .17

zero them both at a more realistic 200yds and the difference at 300yds is 2" at 250 yds its less than an inch!

I have never missed a fox (or roe for that matter) due to the trajectory being "loopy"

17rem 25gr factory ammo is only 3850fps, am sure it can be and is loaded hotter but at what cost
Remington UMC Ammo 17 Remington Fireball 25 Grain Jacketed Hollow

I push 60gr at 2950fps from a 20" barrel so 50's are a bit swifter

.222 hornady 50gr can be bought at 3400fps before you get fruity handloading
Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Ammunition :: Rifle :: Choose by Caliber :: 222 Rem :: 222 Rem 50 gr V-MAX® Superformance®

at this off the shelf level the energy at 250yds is 650ftlbs vs 450ftlbs

but its not a ****ing contest, its just physics and personal choice, I use mine for everything from crows to roe deer

50gr at 3400fps vs 25gr at 4100fps

i will take the 50's every time (actually I find 52gr Amax much better! :D)

Bewsher -i agree with you thats why when its windy out comes the .22br or 6x47 QUOTE=bewsher500;959930]then .222/.223 seems an obvious option to me

50gr at 3000+ fps will buckmost winds and at 200yds you can point and shoot without worry[/QUOTE]

am sure it is...but comparing a 17rem to a video of 17predator chucking 20% heavier bullets is like comparing the .222 to the ,220swift!
but also those figures are heavily skewed in the favour of the .17

zero them both at a more realistic 200yds and the difference at 300yds is 2" at 250 yds its less than an inch!
! :D)

Brewster, There no skewing figures on my part whatsoever But I think your mixing your 17 rem with ya 17 FB.

Factory rounds in the 17 rem are stated by the manufactures as 4040 fps for a 25 grn Bullet. (Wasn't that the figure I used ??? - No skewing there) Hand loaders can get significantly faster if they desire. My current 20 grn Load for example is doing 4380 fps - And that not me loading red hot - in fact the max book load is listed as 4460 fps for that bullet (Hodgdon)

Factory ammunition specs

• Calibre: 17 Remington
  • Bullet Weight: 25 Grains
  • Muzzle Velocity: 4040 fps
  • Case Type: Brass

The difference between the 17 pred as shown in the video and the 17 rem is only about 150 fps with the same bullet . Also remember the 17 rem can also shoot 30 grn bullets same as the 17 predator - so lets compare apples with apples.

Its actually like comparing a 223 to a 223 Ackley ( which it is - the 17 pred is a 17 rem Ackley by another name) - Nothing at all like comparing the 220 Swift and the 222. (Now who's Skewing sir )

Without turning this thread into a " Dick waving contest" and despite your comment that you are "Not convinced about CF.17 options for fox in foul weather" It is actually worth bringing some facts in here - and these are (however inconvenient) the 17 rem - WILL drop less and Drift less than the 222 shooting a 50 grn Bullet-IN FOUL weather or any weather for that matter.

The energy argument is not an issue anymore than it would be , to state that because the 223 is more powerful than the 222 - it must kill foxes better - in reality the fox wont know , or care which calibre the shot originated from.

The video was to demonstrate the effectiveness of a 17 CF which you said you were "NOT CONVINCED OF" on a predator twice the size of the red fox.... I think it does just that...

Here my 17 cal in action

Nice to debate with you :british:

OH - yes back to the thread - My shooting buddy has a Drone Pro x 10 mag - its very very good.

ATB
Alan

Factory rounds in the 17 rem are stated by the manufactures as 4040 fps for a 25 grn Bullet. (Wasn't that the figure I used ??? - No skewing there)

It is actually worth bringing some facts in here - and these are (however inconvenient) the 17 rem - WILL drop less and Drift less than the 222 shooting a 50 grn Bullet-IN FOUL weather or any weather for that matter.

The energy argument is not an issue anymore than it would be , to state that because the 223 is more powerful than the 222 - it must kill foxes better - in reality the fox wont know , or care which calibre the shot originated from.

no but you did state the factory .222 50gr was a 3k MV which is over 400fps less than it should be

the drift and drop facts are clear.....but how important is that? the figures are marginal at best. 1" at 200 yds, very few people I know can hit a 1" disc at 200yds so its beyond the accuracy of most shooters (christ most of the dot of death results are off 1" at 100yds!)

the 222 vs 223 argument is irrelevant....apples to apples
the .17 vs .224 argument is....apples to oranges

its WAY less energy at the extreme end of the ranges it is required and that for me is the killer.....and not to the fox...to the choice
but if I could justify another rifle i would probably give a 17 or a 20 a spin for the experience
just not MY first choice :tiphat:

no but you did state the factory .222 50gr was a 3k MV which is over 400fps less than it should be

Sir - I do believe that it was you who mentioned a 50 grn Bullet at 3000 fps - Not me. (Post 8) It was within the same post that you stated that your not convinced of the 17 CF in foul weather.

My post was simply to point out, that a 50 grn bullet @ 3000 fps it will be significantly more affected by gravity and wind , than the 17 Rem that your unconvinced about.... seems odd to me.

The energy thing - just isn't an issue for either calibre - all the 17 cals - 20 cals and 22 CF are more than sufficient to humanely kill a fox. But if it is Muzzle energy that floats your boat - then the 222 is small fry and is beaten comprehensively by the 20 cals and most of the other 22 cals (with the exception of the 22 Hornet)

Anyway - we will agree to disagree on it - the world would be a boring place if we all thought the same :tiphat:

ATB
Alan

Last edited:
rifle scope,used the photon xt with tracer 400 led ir,
ATN x sight no good either!
whats the pulsar Challenger GS like?
or the
Pulsar Sentinel?

Back