Advise needed

Wingy

Got a Weimaraner which is now 13 months old and is coming on well with training. She's tracking blood & foot scent ok at this stage but the problem I'm having is I can't stop her chasing (anything) off the lead she will walk just ahead of me and if she scents or sees something stationary she will stand and point but if it moves she's off for the chase. Things she has chased are deer, birds of all sizes, leaves that blow across her path and even her own shadow.
If kept on a lead she will lunge forward or rear up onto hind legs and has already cost me a few shots. I can't not take her out as that would defeat the object of having a dog. My last Weimaraner would just stand until after the shot where she would then run and hold the deer, but she just did it without me doing much.
Any advice welcome
Thanks Wingy

Get in touch with Adrian Slater at Kipperridge Gundogs, he's at Wigan, a real top notch bloke and a proper gundog man with all breeds, for a few quid, he'll put you on the right tracks. You'll not regret spending the money in 6 or 8 years time.Welcome to Kipperridge Gundogs

Last edited:
both good advise , but straight away , back to basic like said ,if she runs after owt ,blow the stop/sit whistle , if she ignors it go straight after her then drag her back to where she was when you blew it , you would be better to do it with a pal to create a distraction ,be very persistant and keep it all simple , ignor me and I will catch and drag you back , soon she will learn , just like she has now learnt she can get away with it !good luck ,it will all fall in place .

Get in touch with Adrian Slater at Kipperridge Gundogs, he's at Wigan, a real top notch bloke and a proper gundog man with all breeds, for a few quid, he'll put you on the right tracks. You'll not regret spending the money in 6 or 8 years time.Welcome to Kipperridge Gundogs

both good advise , but straight away , back to basic like said ,if she runs after owt ,blow the stop/sit whistle , if she ignors it go straight after her then drag her back to where she was when you blew it , you would be better to do it with a pal to create a distraction ,be very persistant and keep it all simple , ignor me and I will catch and drag you back , soon she will learn , just like she has now learnt she can get away with it !good luck ,it will all fall in place .

Cheers I've emailed Adrian re advise, training & costs just waiting a reply

Thanks Aaron, still putting the blood, skin & feet to good use. Hopefully won't be long and the dog won't be messing up many opportunities
Wingy

First thing i'd do is stop taking ur dog stalking. It's hard to concentrate on both dog and stalking and the minute u think dog is doing ok and concentrate on stalking dog will know and take the p**s again. Most dogs have a 6th sense for knowing when ur not paying ful attention to it

All the above advice is spot on, personally i would be keeping the dog on lead and doing a lot of boring heel work and sit on whistle work on lead till very obediant and only then would i move up to recall and also picking places with no distractions working slowly in small steps to small confined spaces with distractions/game so u can chase the dog down and catch the dog as arron said. Just gort to be careful it does not start to enjoy the chase as a game.

A lesson/s will be the right way to go and look at it as an investment into ur dog as it will only get worse otherwise and will be a right pita when ur trying to stalk with it for the next 8-10+ years. Worth every penny

I'm no expert here, but my cross (also 13 months) had/has a similar habit. I have taken to putting her on a LONG length of strong cord (2mm climbing accessory cord) one end on her collar, one end tied to my belt (so that I don't have to try and hold the thin cord if she does a runner)
I let her drag it around whether she's at heel or whether I'm letting her have a romp. If I blow the stop whistle, or recall her, or she sees something she fancies chasing and she ignores me, I can either give a little tug (in the case of the recall) or step on the line and stop her in her tracks. That way she can't gain anything by ignoring me, but she gets the chance to obey before I use the line (which most of the time she does). I gave up on then running up to her and dragging her back or chastising her, I just repeat the command if it's a recall or if it was stop then I make her stay until I've taken my time to walk over to her and praise her.
I always recall her or make sure I catch her up before running out of cord, so because she never reaches the end she doesn't treat it like a lead and just go as far as possible.

I also forgot to mention always finish on a good note with the dog , these are things I have been taught by a guy who is unbelievable with dogs , and it has worked well for me ,best of luck and as country boy has said , its an investment well worth putting in to , Arron.

I've got a 2.5 year old HWV. He is pretty full on, but coming on really well now. I have worked him since he was 14 months, on the hill and on the grouse. He has always come stalking with me as I believe there is no better training than on the job. I have lost a few deer because of his over enthusiasm, but the frustration is now paying off.

I got the basic training sorted before he was 12 months and still go back to it regularly. When we started on the grouse moor he trailed 30 ft of washing line behind him, when stalking he dragged 15 ft of biothane. It enabled me to stop him quickly if he did decide to run in. Either grabbed it (leather gloves a must) or stood on it if the ground was hard enough. He soon learnt.

The most important thing is not to give the bugger the opportunity. Don't trust him. Always presume he's going to run in and have a plan if he does.

And after I had shot 20 or so deer with him he started to understand the game. If he behaves and you get a shot off he gets to track it and a treat after the gralloch.

Walking to heel, sitting and not chasing are the two most important things to get right. You can't move on to the next stage before these are sorted.

I took a friend out to the high seat last week for a Roe buck. Bear sat below for 4 hours with rabbits, pheasants, hare, munties, even a squirrel running past him within about 10 ft without moving a muscle. A bit of shaking involved admittedly. After the shot he got a track and a bit of heart. Very happy dog.

He's not perfect yet, but is now turning into a great stalking companion. In a few years he might even be "good".

All good advise.Remember your dog is a HPR and that they are slow to mature and that she is still a baby.She is too young to take out at the moment although I understand your keenness.
Go back to basics.
Go out with her and leave the rifle at home, concentrate on the dog.
At about 18 months the brain cells will start to function at 2.5 years she will have developed into a mature dog.
Arthur my HWV finally turned on at 2.5 yrs as obviously NigelM's has.
Best advice to take is Go slowly,don't panic,

Thanks I know she's still a baby and my last one was the biggest pain in the A##E until she was 2, then it all clicked almost overnight and she was the best dog I've ever had. Unfortunately her life was cut short age 6 1/2 when she was a fantastic all round dog. The new one was a replacement somewhat forced on me when I wasn't quite ready as I still miss what I've just lost.
I'm however determine to put the effort in and give this one the best I can then someday I'll enjoy many a stalk with dog by my side

View attachment 56108

Going back to the basics is a very good idea and when you will teach her the basics then with the passage of time she will learn that too which you are expecting her to do. Do not worry.

I keep forgetting this with my GSP she is only 14 months ! good advice !

All good advise.Remember your dog is a HPR and that they are slow to mature and that she is still a baby.She is too young to take out at the moment although I understand your keenness.
Go back to basics.
Go out with her and leave the rifle at home, concentrate on the dog.
At about 18 months the brain cells will start to function at 2.5 years she will have developed into a mature dog.
Arthur my HWV finally turned on at 2.5 yrs as obviously NigelM's has.
Best advice to take is Go slowly,don't panic,

Back