Thread: Game bird preparation costs

Game bird preparation costs

Does anyone pay for their game birds to be prepared and delivered back to the shoot? If so what price do you pay?

Many thanks

I don’t know about costings but one thing to check on is the quality of the returned product. I used to have to prepare oven ready birds for the guns and family and they had to be perfect. There is no way that I could have given game dealer prepared birds to the guns. I doubt if any game dealers pull sinews anymore which is essential for top quality OR birds. I used to reject about 30% of pheasants to achieve this standard, less with partridges and grouse. A proportion of these rejected birds could still be breasted off so not a total loss.

To be honest I'm surprised that most game dealers get away with selling some of the birds, if they were subjected to the same standards as a poultry processer then a very very high proportion would have to be rejected.

Sorry, didn't answer your question just made some random statements, must have seen too many election interviews!