DSC1 – Deer Identification

sandersj89

I have been working through the manual and the deerquest CD for my DSC at the end of the month but I feel I am lacking on the knowledge for Deer IDs.

My understanding is that the test is as follows:

Deer identification - an ability to identify the six species of deer normally found in the wild in the UK, being able to distinguish between the male and female of each species in both summer and winter pelage.

The manual includes colour photos but not enough of them to be honest. Is there any source, preferable on line, that will help me.

Are the pictures used drawn from a bank along the lines of the multiple choice questions?

Thanks

Jerry

When I sat my DSC1 the deer identifaction was 10 slides drawn from a bank of (I think) 50 or so. To be honest they were really very straight forward as I don't think they aim to trip people up. Most were taken to show the features commonly used to identify deer clear and herd species were shown in herds.

Lostinthewoods said:
When I sat my DSC1 the deer identifaction was 10 slides drawn from a bank of (I think) 50 or so. To be honest they were really very straight forward as I don't think they aim to trip people up. Most were taken to show the features commonly used to identify deer clear and herd species were shown in herds.

I believe the test has changed a little and it is now:

Candidates are shown 20 images covering the 6 species of wild deer in the UK. The species and the sex have to be identified for each image, and both must be correct to gain a mark. To pass, candidates must obtain at least 16 marks out of the possible 20.

Some practise would be great.

dsc 1

I have completed my DSC 1 In nov and there are plenty of slides shown through out the training days so if you have some knowledge of deer identification and sex you will have no problem.
regards paul

At my DCS1 last October there were 20 slides - first 10 were species, next 10 were species and sex, this gives a possible 30 marks - If I remember correctly you need 80% to pass = 24 correct.

In theory you are expected to get all the species correct = 20 marks and then you need at least 4 of the sex correct to pass - I did - just (24).

Good luck

Tonyc

The slide they often try and catch you out on for identification is a Jap Sika in summer coat, and a Spotted Fallow. They do look very similar, but the main difference is the metatarsal gland on the back legs on the Sika. Although in the field you hardly ever see them anyway as the cover is generally to high.

The other one they try and throw you on is Roe, from the back end. Dont forget the doe's have an anal tush which the bucks do not.

Good luck.

Sanders,

The current criteria for the visual test is as follows for DSC 1 .......

Candidates are shown 20 images covering the 6 species of wild deer in the UK. The species and the sex have to be identified for each image, and both must be correct to gain a mark. To pass, candidates must obtain at least 16 marks out of the possible 20.

For further info look up www.dmq.org.uk where they layout everything required of candidates to attain both DSC1 and DSC2

cheers
Rob

Hi sanders, i finished my course sunday 9th just gone... a relief as my wife was overdue and went into labour...
dont worry.. the course i attended was fantastic and throughout the examiners were more than helpful.. we had stacks of time going over diferent slides in revision..
relax study your manual and enjoy the course.. good luck

I have to agree with pheasant sniper, you get loads of time with the instructors going through all you need to know...and its not hard. Enjoy it.

Back