FAC Copy?

Sam

Does anyone know if a copy is enough to take stalking with you? Or do you need your actual licence? Is there any way you could prove it (legislation etc)?

Thanks

Sam

I usually take a photocopy of my FAC whenever I go shooting (stalking or rabbiting). The original is normally in the car. A copy should be enough if you were stopped for any reason, as all they really need is your FAC number, then they call in and have the database checked.

Like Pippa, I took a copy of my FAC and a copy of my permission and my insurance membership cards with me.

TJ

Is there a requirement in law to carry any of these documents?

If you can't produce your FAC or atleast a copy, if stopped by the police, I think they would take a very dim view of it and you'd probably get your firearms removed from your posession, as to insurance and a copy of permission, then no requirment, but makes life easier if you are stopped by Joe Public on the ground or the police.

TJ

As TJ says.....this from the Home Office Guidance:

23.8 Section 48 of the 1968 Act provides that a constable may demand from any person believed to be in possession of a firearm or ammunition to which section 1 of the 1968 Act applies, or of a shot gun, the production of their firearm certificate, or, as the case may be, their shot gun certificate. Section 48(2) of the 1968 Act provides a power to seize weapons and ammunition in cases of non-compliance.

Naturally a lot will be down to the interpretation of the local constable, but personally I always carry my FAC/SGC with me when out stalking or shooting.​

willie_gunn​

Last edited:
Thanks folks. I always carry my FAC when stalking (or any shooting). In march I was out foxing with my mate who got issued his licence about a week before-needless to say into the bog he went, FAC in back pocket! :rolleyes: Anyway it made me think that maybe a copy woould be better on my person with the real McCoy back at the truck/lodge whatever.

Cheers

Sam

Well, I live and learn.

No requirement to carry it, but a requirement to be able to produce it; which suggests that my (when I remember) practice of putting the FAC/SGC in the vehicle is probably a good one, as it keeps it relatively easily 'producable', but protects it from the rigours of the chase.

I have to say that I would probably not be inclined to show FAC or letters of permission to shoot to Joe Public, even if I carried them.

I'm not sure what use a copy of an FAC is given the requirements of S48 of the Act.

Dalua

I'm with you so far as showing it to Joe Public - what has it got to do with them??

The son of a friend of mine was recently approached by a member of the public when he was shooting ducks. Joe Public demanded one of the cartridges so that they could 'prove' that it was non-toxic and take it to the police. Son of friend then asked if Joe Public had a Shotgun license. On being told 'No', he told him that he would be breaking the law if he provided someone without a Shotgun license with a shotgun cartridge. Full marks to son of friend, 'nul point' to Joe Public!!

willie_gunn

I had a discussion with a lawyer on this some time ago and as far as I can remember the conversation it was that the law says that you must be "in possession of" and in law that does not necessarily have to be on your person. You can be in possession of a firearm that is in your property even if you are far removed from it at the time. In this respect it is very similar to the need to be in possession of a driving licence to legally drive a car but as we know you don't have to carry it with you.

I have a laminated credit card sized piece of card that I keep in my wallet that has my SGC details on one side and my FAC details on the other. I take my FAC/SGC with me in the car but do not go crawling around the countryside with an eminently losable document, also susceptible to being damaged, in my pocket. I also have a scanned copy of both documents on my computer.

Last edited:
Let's not also forget that any policeman can instantly check on whether or not you have a certificate, and the status of that certificate via his radio. All he has to do is ask his control for a PNC check on you.

I always have my original docs plus my insurance in the car if I go out, and a colour p/copy of my FAC/SGC 'on my person'. What I have also done is scrawl 'copy - for reference only' on the ones that are with me to make it blindingly obvious that they are exactly that - copies, not an attempt to pass them off as the original (although the watermarking on the originals that you can see on a p/copy should do that sufficiently well. Belt 'n' braces....:confused:)

As far showing my tickets to anyone that fancies having a shufty - I don't think so mate!! What's it got to do with you? I'll produce them to anyone that has a legitimate justification, and that's got to be a fairy short list hasn't it?? Plod, landowner, gunshop,etc.

And someone requesting live ammo for proving it's non-toxic? I'll hand over live ammo of any sort to some total random stranger that doesn't have grounds for having it the day monkeys fly out of my arse!!:eek:

harrymac : i was stopped by plod to do a tank dip a year ago, after they admited they could not check my tank as it would not accept thier tester they then informed that i was an Ex firearms holder! i assured them that i was still a firarems holder and i had a safe full of guns. this brought suspision to thier faces and i was told to go and check with my FLA as the computer was telling them "NO"..
so much for modern technology.

Skipp.

I have a FAC copy with me when out and about. All the personal sections are blacked out in case I lose it, as obviously I don't want someone finding that I live at xxxxxx and have a xxx guns at my address. I keep the original in a lock box in my car. The law states your FAC is suppose to be in your possession. Well at home counts as in your possession. However personally I think anyone would be silly to go out with there FAC in the car or on you. The police data base is only as good as the person in putting the data, plus as we all no computers often crash. I know my file did say I lived at Portsmouth which I don't. If the computer has crashed and you don't have your FAC with you, or have some official photo ID to prove who you are instead or your FAC it could complicate things if stopped by police.

I keep my original FC with other important documents locked up at home .
I have a photo stat of it that I keep in the pouch on my gun slip which i roll up and place in a locker, should i be approached by a police officer to produce.

I dont carry it the field and any reasonable police officer who questions your holding authority would in my view accompany tou to your vehicle to obtain sight of that information so he could check it with information on the data base.

I should add in 30+ years stalking i have never been stopped by anyone to produce my F.C I suppose there is always a first time though.

Last edited:
We were out lamping rabbits with shotguns a few years ago (a good few years ago...) and two young coppers turned up in a dinky little panda car. Neither of us had out SGC's with us as we were within spitting distance of home. Anyway, plod confiscated the guns to be collected from the local nick next morning. Wasn't worth making a fuss as it was getting late by then and it was all pretty amicable and friendly. You should have heard these two spotty young coppers over the radio...

"confirm WEAPONS HAVE BEEN SEIZED, I repeat, WEAPONS HAVE BEEN SEIZED. Suspects have been DISARMED".

What actually happened was we handed over the guns in their slips and offered the coppers a couple of bunnies to take with them, but I guess the reality didn't sound nearly exciting enough to report to the control room :rolleyes: :D

Back