What makes a 85????

jase kaye

In peoples opinion what makes a Sako 85 inferior to a Sako 75 ? I have heard it a lot "oh the 85 isn't a patch of the older 75" I have owned both and to be honest apart from the mag release "TLC" I didn't see that much between them quality wise, in fact I can say I liked the rubberised feel to the 85's stock better than the plastic feel of the 75's stock, I only ask because I've got my heart set on a 75 in .270, but they seem to be few and far between, and having just sold a 85 in .25-06 I'm beginning to wonder if I did the right thing? I dare say if it had been in .270 it would still be here, opinions please.
Jase.

I have heard of some folk having extract problems with the controlled feed bolt of the 85.

I have both myself, 85 in .243 and 75 which started life as a .308 but I had it worked on, restocked and rebarelled to 7mm-08. I really like both of them.

If I have any niggles at all to report, I would say sometimes the bolt does not pick up the next round too well with the 75, but I think that is a bit of work wanted on the magazine and nothing to do with the action.

got both some say 75 some say 85 like both hate the bolt lock on the 75 but saying that it has't gone wrong as yet

John R : I also had my 75 semi custom 6.5x47 play up on the #2#4 round, found it to be the mag as I had a 22-250 mag and needed the lips to have a bit filed off on the r/h side to prevent the round laying down and diving into the action and not up to the chamber if that helps ,I just copied a .243 now works faultlessly .

Last edited:
There's a nice Sako AV with Swarovski scope for sale with a 22" barrel, Any good?

A nice rifle and a good scope.

However, Iwould tend to avoid barrels less than 24" in .270. You start to lose velocity quite fast as the barrel shortens - to the extent that you lose many of the (already quite small) advantages over something like a .308.

More importantly, the longer barrel really helps dampen the recoil and you get far less muzzle blast and flip. My .270 with a 24" barrel is just as nice to shoot as my .243 - both unmoderated (.243 is a Sako 75, and is a very lovely rifle indeed - just got in from using it to take first roe buck of the season).

Jase, got both 75 in .243 and 85 in 7x64, my only grumble being the 85 is noticeably harder to keep clean, ie Rust on the surface? ive always thought the 85s blueing has been sub standard and not durable enough! do however prefer the lack of key concept on the rifle! that said, if i could turn back time i would have bought another 75. I have seen many older Sakos and think as the years go by the quality goes down hill! The Finnbear being a cracking rifle! and setting a benchmark! Just wonder when someone will invent a larger Magazine for the 75/85?
Cheers
Chris

Thanks for all the feedback lads, no show for my cert this week, so I guess it gives me a bit more time to make my mind up :)

I have had both and user wise not a lot of difference between them , they both do what they are ment to never had an issue with either. When I got the 85 in 22.250 first thing came to mind was the bold was small but it works well.

I have had both and user wise not a lot of difference between them , they both do what they are ment to never had an issue with either. When I got the 85 in 22.250 first thing came to mind was the bold was small but it works well.
What's a bold?

Jase, got both 75 in .243 and 85 in 7x64, my only grumble being the 85 is noticeably harder to keep clean, ie Rust on the surface? ive always thought the 85s blueing has been sub standard and not durable enough! do however prefer the lack of key concept on the rifle! .......

Chris

I didn't know when I had a Sako 75, but it's possible to get a replacement bolt shroud for the key concept shroud. There was a thread on here at some point about where to source replacement shrouds for a Sako 75.

Regards

JCS

Chris

I didn't know when I had a Sako 75, but it's possible to get a replacement bolt shroud for the key concept shroud. There was a thread on here at some point about where to source replacement shrouds for a Sako 75.

Regards

JCS

Cheers for that! didnt know they existed! will have a search for the topic!

Chris

Back