First fawn of the year?

JTO

I saw a doe looking broody a few days ago and last evening, April 30th, I think I heard fawns calling from two different spots within a hundred yards of where I saw her. How much earlier have fawns been born. I know we have a fairly mild climate down here, I've seen plum blossom buds on December 31st in the past.

I found twins in some bracken last year on the 30th of April down in east cornwall they were a few days old.

Saw a doe end of last week with last years buck follower still in tow. Saw her again this morning but no follower in sight so she's driven off last years offspring. Don't think it will be long before her new ones are here. Not seen any yet
Wingy

Saw a Sika calf on Wednesday night. Crap picture
1acac20c7f741372bfb9fb32afd78ef9_zpsafbrs8kn.jpg

Last edited:
Saw a doe at 2pm in middle of a grass park with fawn at her feet , few miles outside Crief .
1st time I've ever seen one so young

Paul

Does usually start dropping kids about mid April on my ground. First that I know of last year was 12th April

The does are still with last years fawns. They are looking heavy and it won't be long now before thet start dropping. Its been another mild winter here and i can't think of a year since i moved here thati have seen so many roe about.

Saw roe doe and fawn in a field beside A303 just south of stone henge yesterday morning, it was following mum so has been about a while

Was out a couple of days ago, saw a Doe with heavy belly, due any time.

Was out having a walk round three of my permissions, on one of them I came across a Doe with two fawns, I had seen her last week with the young ones at heel. They were going along a stock fence, me and my son went to ground to try and let them move off without disturbing them, but my son said he had seen something beyond the Doe coming along the stock fence, I glassed it and it was a dog. We backed off a bit hoping that the Roe would run past us, once they were past us I planned to step out to stop the dog following the deer, but the deer must have scented us as well. They froze against the stock fence, not going forward or back as there was also a small burn running parallel to the stock fence. The Doe jumped the stock fence as the dog ran at the three deer. The dog gripped one of the fawns, at that point I stepped out shouting and chased the dog off the fawn. The two fawns jumped burn and went north, I chased the dog back along the stock fence and caught up with the dog walker and told him what had happened. He was also a FAC holder and was just genuinely walking his dog. He knew I could have shot the dog, but obviously I didn't, he was apologetic, I told him he should know better ect. And away he went. I went back the way I came and double checked that the two fawns weren't trapped in the burn. I saw the Doe going back along the outside of the stock fence back towards where her fawns were so she should hopefully get them. The fence is along a railway line so there are a few lower points so she should get back over. There should be more awareness directed to dog walkers at this time of year. People shout a good shout about nature and conservation, but sometimes just don't think.

Keeping a close eye on a doe that had twins yesterday. She looked very rough after the birth.

Was out a couple of days ago, saw a Doe with heavy belly, due any time.

Was out having a walk round three of my permissions, on one of them I came across a Doe with two fawns, I had seen her last week with the young ones at heel. They were going along a stock fence, me and my son went to ground to try and let them move off without disturbing them, but my son said he had seen something beyond the Doe coming along the stock fence, I glassed it and it was a dog. We backed off a bit hoping that the Roe would run past us, once they were past us I planned to step out to stop the dog following the deer, but the deer must have scented us as well. They froze against the stock fence, not going forward or back as there was also a small burn running parallel to the stock fence. The Doe jumped the stock fence as the dog ran at the three deer. The dog gripped one of the fawns, at that point I stepped out shouting and chased the dog off the fawn. The two fawns jumped burn and went north, I chased the dog back along the stock fence and caught up with the dog walker and told him what had happened. He was also a FAC holder and was just genuinely walking his dog. He knew I could have shot the dog, but obviously I didn't, he was apologetic, I told him he should know better ect. And away he went. I went back the way I came and double checked that the two fawns weren't trapped in the burn. I saw the Doe going back along the outside of the stock fence back towards where her fawns were so she should hopefully get them. The fence is along a railway line so there are a few lower points so she should get back over. There should be more awareness directed to dog walkers at this time of year. People shout a good shout about nature and conservation, but sometimes just don't think.

Deer are not classed as livestock, so technically, no you can't shoot the dog, tempting as it may be...

Back