Cleaning Rifles.. Trade.

Calvin

Dear Traders.. sellers.

I have purchased 1/2 dozen rifles recently as i lost my license and i am now just filling my cert with some used rifles, some for me and some for a fellow friend. Now each gun i have initially picked up has been ok on the out side.
Pull the bolt out look down the barrel and there dirty, Now i can live with a bit of fouling and a bit of copper turning color .
But when you can not get a rod and patch down the bore, this must be getting on to Dangerous.

I am talking mainly used second hand rifles. Do gun shops ever clean a rifle on part exchange... a shotguns easy to clean.. but how many can honestly say they clean the bore of a rifle.. check the crown. and clean the chamber.. prior to selling.

ATB

Calvin

I hope the situation continues because, I'm at the cheap end of the market and have been surprised how shops sell guns which just need a little fettling. My first £50 O/U shotgun was transformed by Action Blaster and simply tightening the screws. My 243 was £200 with mod but needed re-crowning (£30). Now my £75 with scope 10/22 - well that needed the stock refinishing and a good clean. There is good value to be had by those who dare.

But are there people out there buying similar who cant put such things right?
And if I paid more would I get guns that are properly sorted or not?
What about basic safety checks and how can a shop knowingly handle a rifle that's not presented as well as reasonably possible?

And then they stick a cleaning rod down the barrel, if a short one, so it will sit in the gun rack without falling over. Along comes Nobby No Clue and gives it a good twist to inspect each side of stock and action as he/she can't be arsed to seek the Assistant's attention.

Multiply that by who knows how many times and rest assured I won't be buying what was a lovely new Krico 22 rimfire with a now burnished crown of irregular value.

K
:doh:

Last edited:
Perhaps a large discount and a re-crown could be negotiated if its a really nice rifle?

I am talking mainly used second hand rifles. Do gun shops ever clean a rifle on part exchange... a shotguns easy to clean.. but how many can honestly say they clean the bore of a rifle.. check the crown. and clean the chamber.. prior to selling.

Caveat Emptor applies here
gunshops cant be cleaning and servicing any old tat that comes across the counter, would cost them a fortune in time and materials

are you saying a patch won't go down because of the fouling? presumably the last bullet that caused the fouling managed

I am with Gaothead on this one.
many a rifle I picked up BECAUSE it looked tatty and the bore was filthy!
good clean and some tweaking and they shoot well
long may this continue!

It's all right if you know what you are getting yourself in for.

For the novice it would be possible to pick up something that could be a disaster waiting to happen.

Good to go into these things with both eyes open and someone with you that knows their way around a gun.

picked up an FN supreme recently in 22-250, now the action alone is worth around £600. Krieger cut rifled varmint barrel, 1:9 with target crown, bedded and with the finest tuned trigger I have ever come across. Rifling is literally like new.

cost me a massive £225 as far as I recall...

picked up an FN supreme recently in 22-250, now the action alone is worth around £600. Krieger cut rifled varmint barrel, 1:9 with target crown, bedded and with the finest tuned trigger I have ever come across. Rifling is literally like new.

cost me a massive £225 as far as I recall...

That wasn't an R.B PYBUS built rifle by any chance? Saw a beauty on guntrader a couple months back.

Back