Thread: Remington 700 AICS - Rifle Basics trigger mod (Pic heavy)

Remington 700 AICS - Rifle Basics trigger mod (Pic heavy)

I put my Remmy 700 SPS Tactical in an AICS chassis over a year ago now and havent really looked back. It is a lovely piece of engineering and has improved the performance of my action tenfold. I replaced the trash stock trigger and its an awesome tool now.

If the AI designers spent a month designing the chassis..... they spent 15 mins on the skins. This was (i presume) between 1645 and 1700.....on a Friday before a Bank Holiday..... whilst looking through an office window at a beer garden........ full of cheerleaders......on a sunny day!!!

They are horrid.

I havent really found anyone with a good word to say about them (I prepare to be proven wrong), and the sheer number of Viperskins that have been sold backs that up. The form and fit on the chassis is poor with gaps and edges protruding. The palm swell is all wrong and the thumbhole positioning seems to place almost everyones trigger finger a long way forward of the trigger blade face.

My main gripe is the trigger finger position. I have girly hands but still my finger pad sits naturally 1/2"-3/4" forward of the trigger blade.

A) Modify skins. Plastic putty, sanding, priming, re-spray skins.

B) Modify trigger blade (make shoe, drill trigger blade (!) and mount.

C) Suck it up and stop bitching.

Decided on option B. Scary proposition as it meant drilling holes in a £125 ish aftemarket trigger!!

Here are the results and I'm quite happy. Trigger face is now directly under my finger pad and MUCH more natural. New shoe is screwed and thread locked in place and after loads of dry runs I'm taking her out this weekend.

I highly recommend it!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2515.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	298.2 KB 
ID:	56064Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2513.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	183.1 KB 
ID:	56065Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2512.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	213.2 KB 
ID:	56066

Saw this mod for the chassis on a US website. It removes a small portion of the plastic forward of the magazine housing and provides a much better rest when firing off fence posts etc. Before the sloped skins didnt allow you to 'lean-in' as if loading your bipod when shooting upright, now you can and it makes a BIG difference in the field.

Name:	IMG_2497.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	329.4 KB 
ID:	56067

Name:	IMG_2498.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	309.9 KB 
ID:	56068Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2499.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	217.1 KB 
ID:	56069

All it need now is a re-spray/touch-up.

All the best gents and keep up the good work!!

Last edited by Deanot2000; 02-05-2015 at 12:41. Reason: Spelling!!

Good idea, only thing one should watch out for is if one changes the weight of moving parts on a trigger unit one could alter the safety. Lets say you have the safety on fire position and drop the gun hard on the but, the inertia of the extra weight on the trigger could be enough to release a shot on a lightly set trigger.

Totally agree. Its been subjested to a phalanx of extra 'butt slams' for want of a better term. I manufactured the shoe from 6000 series aluminium and it only adds approx 5g to the trigger blades mass. Unbeknownst to me Rifle Basix trigger blades are VERY hard steel with a not inconsiderable mass in themselves. Having passed all these test i'm confident its not affected the safety aspects.

Well if you had fitted a GC universal then you could move the trigger blade to suit your needs. Nice conversion however.

Brave is the word. Well done on the work you've done