Thread: Roe Buck and Boar

Roe Buck and Boar

The Roe Buck season opened here on 2nd May.I was fortunate enough to shoot a boar and roe buck yesterday. He is quite big by Swiss standards, well his head is anyway but he weighed only 18kg. My mandate was to shoot any mature bucks as we have quite few this year. I used Barnes 80gr TTSX which dropped the animal immediately but his heart was pulverised. However, he let out a few barks then crawled into some thicket. I was pretty surpised as the shot was true. ^There was no real meat damage and the bullet expanded perfectly with an exit wound of just over an inch.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 13439d24-9e40-40c7-9f05-93002d75a9c5.png   b4632489-c6f7-45fa-8d6e-4fae54c897e7.png  

Mods, can you please move to the correct Forum? Still tired from a weekend in the forest! Apologies

Nice buck well done
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory." LLAP Leonard Nimoy 1931 - 2015

Nice buck Conor! You do look pleased in the photo!!

What were you using - 6mm or 25 cal TTSX & what muzzle velocity do you drive it at?

It is always good to hear that Barnes do the job.

Nice roe buck mate, was it a good stalk to get him as well?

I was using standard factory loads. The accuracy is fantastic in my Match barrel. But sadly my barrel will not stabilise heavier bullets due to its 1:12 twist. I have found the Barnes to be fantastically accurate and consistent in all the calibres that I have tried, 243, 308 and 300WM.

It wasn't stalked in the classic sense as I was in a high seat. I was very pleased because last year the bucks eluded me throughout the Summer as I only saw Does! I saw 2 in the morning but one was 500m away and the others was too young.

Quick question. I shot the buck in the heart and he dropped on the spot. Then he started barking and crawled into thicket. It took a minute to find him as he was well camouflaged. Upon gralloching, we could see that the upper half of his heart was destroyed. Ever happen to any of you chaps?
    Last edited by Conor1; 03-05-2015 at 19:02.