What is the public's perception of deer stalking?

megsjockey

If you'll forgive me for saying this, I have read a lot of slightly introverted and paranoid comments on this site about 'the public' and their 'perception' of deer stalking and gun ownership and how, in effect, 'they' (whoever 'they' are) would like shut us down and only allow 'professional' deer control. The thing is, I've only very rarely encountered this type of attitude myself (except here). In fact, most people I talk to seem very interested in what I do. They accept that deer and other wild animals cause issues which make it beneficial to us and the animals themselves for the numbers to be controlled and equally those people seem to accept that a gun is frequently as good a tool as any for the job. Even my few vegetarian friends accept this. None of the people I talk to have any problem with country folk and even non-country folk owning and using guns, provided it is done safely and responsibly.

A particular, recently started, thread on this site mentions 'public perception' of stalking in terms that suggests there is a problem for us. Now, I can see that there are fringe groups who do object very noisily and rather hypocritically, like those hunt saboteurs (who preach pacifism and condemn the hurting of animals and then put Masters of hounds in hospital by beating them unconscious with iron bars) but I have never regarded such trouble making extremists as any sort of fundamental threat to shooting sport, a worrying and violent nuisance definitely but not a threat to responsible gun ownership.

So what really is the 'public's perception' of deer stalking?

Never had a problem. I have had the odd "why would you want to shoot a fox" thing but just reply with the truth, that they run off with newborn lambs and piglets and kill for the fun of it. Most (all?) then agree the best thing is shoot them as there's too many anyway.

I have put a few post on the topic you mentioned. I find most people are ok with it as long as they don't see piles of bloody bodies or heads blown to bits etc etc.
How anyone can take pictures of that and post it anywhere is totally beyond me.
Unless we keep our hobby or job or whatever it is to us, as humane and clean as possible we will be branded as murderers, monsters, killers and worse

Don't ever forget we kill things and a lot of people object to that, and I don't blame them. So cowboys and inhumane shooters you are ruining it for the rest of us.

Some people enjoy the notoriety of being involved with an 'edgy' pursuit and seek to cultivate that wherever possible.

Whilst some people just take opposition at face value and try and educate and inform as best they can. You won't convert everyone but it's surprising who will come around in the face of a calm and reasoned argument.

I have no qualms about discussing my profession (single handed gamekeeper) with anyone. I'm incredibly proud of the standards I set for myself and the quality and integrity of the days I put on.

Oh, and if you get invited into my kitchen, you'll find a tasteful picture montage of three of my favourite fox kills from my early keepering days that my mum had framed for me :)

I stalk some very urban areas.
Recent conversation with two walkers.

Me: "Good morning." ( inside deer fence, walkers on road.)
Them: "Are you supposed to be there? Who gave you permission? What are you shooting?"
Me: "Mr *** gave me permission to cull some deer as he was having problems"
Them: I thought he wasn't culling them. I shall have a word with him. I hope you fail."

There are many people that will not accept any excuse for shooting. Most reasonable people will accept what you do so long as you are polite and are willing to take the time to explain what you do, the legalities and don't go looking like you've just signed up to the Taliban militia. Sometimes you have to also put them right like the bloke who said he was going to buy a crossbow and have a go, on my permission. I had to put him right.

My next door neighbour is anti, she would quite often have ago if she saw me with my slips or a box full of rabbits, her husband on the other hand, used to apologise after she had gone, and said he understood everything needs to be controled, thankfully she doesn't speak and just ignores me now.

I think most people are sensible and know everything needs to be controlled,

Good thread. We have lots of different people from all over in are butchers shop and generally the one that live in the country understand the need for the culling of deer in fact if I had a pound for every time someone said ,you can come and shoot the muntjac in my garden I would be a rich man .its the people from the city's that don't seem to get it but if you spend a little time to explain why we do it the most of the time they can see the good that comes form stalking and often buy some venison as well as we always have a good stock of it , as for meeting people when out out stalking most of the time they say ,well they need thining out as there is to Manny ,but there will always be one that hates what we do normally a dog walker who is down for the weekend from London but I just smile and be as polite as possible

The public perception of deer stalking will be directly influenced by how we as deer stalkers (recreational and professional) carry out our sport/profession. We generally meet two types of people, those who genuinely want to know why we have to kill deer, and those who have already decided that we are 'murdering b******s'.

The former can be influenced by how you justify what we do - and if they are prepared to listen then we should be prepared to explain why we do what we do, and the consequences of us not doing it. The view of the latter cannot be changed.

There is a lot of hypocrisy out there. So many times I have heard guys 'claim' that they are taking the place of the wolf and the bear, but then are quite happy to go out and kill the buck/stag for no other reason than it had the biggest antlers. Not really the selection criteria used by a wolf or bear!

In general, I think the public can stomach the fact that deer NEED to be controlled to promote biodiversity of native woodlands, and help ensure the survival of many other species of flora and fauna. They are less happy about the idea of people doing it purely for sport, even though the sale of sport is a crucial income stream for many estates.

I think there will be some interesting changes in the next few years, and those changes will be influenced by public perception. Its really up to us (all of us) to shape that public perception.

Regards,

Mike.

I feel we have three type were I am the 20% that understand the countryside and support us in what we do (IF WE DO IT CORRECT AND FOR THE RIGHT REASONS) we then have the 60% who do not know anything about deer stalk apart from what they have read in the media they are interested and if we put our case across they will accept it in the main. Then we have the 20% who do not like any kind of past time or job that ends with and animal be culled. I feel it is looking ok for us as long as we do our part professional and private.

I have spoken to a few people who I work with, most had no knowledge of deerstalking and actually thought it didn't go on. When I told them a bit more about it, they seemingly understood the reasons for it but still showed genuine disinterest!

The term you are looking for is "the continuum of public acceptability". Where does deer stalking sit on this continuum? Is is getting worse or better? Is anyone actually tracking it? If you don't know the trends its hard to make changes.

Down here in NSW the continuum rose in favour of deer hunting from the decade following 2002. It has declined rapidly since 2013 in NSW. However I believe its the highest ever in Vic. Now we know this trend its easier to see the things which effects the continuum the most. No surprises when I say its positive or negative media which has the greatest effect on Mr & Mrs Average.

Sharkey

As an outsider I ran into two very different reactions while in the highlands. On fine day we decided to tour two distilleries, Glen Morangie and Balblair. At each we were asked "what brings you to Scotland?". At each we gave the same answer," deer stalking".

at Glen Morangie the twit responded with "oh, so you have no conscience"
at BalBlair, "excellent, I hope you have had some luck".

The public perception of deer stalking will be directly influenced by how we as deer stalkers (recreational and professional) carry out our sport/profession. We generally meet two types of people, those who genuinely want to know why we have to kill deer, and those who have already decided that we are 'murdering b******s'.

The former can be influenced by how you justify what we do - and if they are prepared to listen then we should be prepared to explain why we do what we do, and the consequences of us not doing it. The view of the latter cannot be changed.

There is a lot of hypocrisy out there. So many times I have heard guys 'claim' that they are taking the place of the wolf and the bear, but then are quite happy to go out and kill the buck/stag for no other reason than it had the biggest antlers. Not really the selection criteria used by a wolf or bear!

In general, I think the public can stomach the fact that deer NEED to be controlled to promote biodiversity of native woodlands, and help ensure the survival of many other species of flora and fauna. They are less happy about the idea of people doing it purely for sport, even though the sale of sport is a crucial income stream for many estates.

I think there will be some interesting changes in the next few years, and those changes will be influenced by public perception. Its really up to us (all of us) to shape that public perception.

Regards,

Mike.

With reference to the wolf and/or bear. You then find that the same justifier has posted a trophy shot of himself having killed a wolf or a bear.

I would suggest most people are totally unaffected by it, it doesn't impinge on them and have very little opinion. When presented with a logical argument generally understand it, but wouldn't want to be involved. This in my experience is the norm.

The hardcore veggie types will have a brutally strong, badly reasoned opinion and be totally mis informed and unswayed. What they cannot reconcile is our enjoyment of the process, and quite simply they don't want to listen to reason. I have engaged a good few in debate, and you just go round in circles. So I don't bother.

Point 1. We kill stuff for fun, we must be sick in the head.

That's your start point. Your behaviour and ability to communicate any other point of view may influence that thought process but no matter how reasoned your argument the Vegan Elite over at Animal Aid etc are feeding the press very persuasively with the counter argument.

Then there is the urban belief that only the bad guys have guns. Why would you want a gun? See point 1.

As has been said, the problem I always encounter without fail is that many just do not understand the countryside and how it works. I must admit I take every opportunity at work and with friends to talk about what I have been doing in my off time and many of them have no idea unfortunately. When talking about shooting crows I was asked why, what does a crow do to anyone? Or foxes for that matter? We all know they don't rake bins in the countryside and are ruthless predators, but the other side don't. Those who don't know the countryside are far removed and its something that Countryfile isn't going to change that's for sure, even if they wanted to watch it.

On deer stalking, for a start, a lot of folk don't even know the term. Told my new neighbour I was out stalking the other day and she looked at me like I was a filthy perv and without fail that word always gets a snigger at work which I find disappointing. When I started working in an office and talked about stalking (or deer 'shooting' as the term hunting seems to have been lost also), most of them asked what I did with the deer once I shot it. Then I get looked at as if I am mental when I say I take it home , butcher it and eat it. Only once I have brought in a final bit of the product on a tray or in a bag wrapped in clingfilm for them to try do I get then get asked more in depth and positive questions. Then, when am I getting more!

There are always going to be those that hate the idea of killing something and are very hard to sway, even the ones who eat meat which does my nut it! I have found the majority just have no idea about it but that isn't their fault. Many just need a little educating because they have had absolutely no exposure to it. If we present our side of the coin, the facts, we can at least let others decide for themselves providing they are prepared to listen. I have had a good many friends and co-workers out with me to witness first hand what we do and has always been a successful event. Some came away not wanting to see it again but were better off knowing the process and understood the reasoning behind it. More so that we are not gun toting nutters blasting creatures off the face of the earth for no reason.

Gone off on one I know but to answer the original question, I think that it is definitely leaning towards a positive perception but needs a push in the right direction. I am sure I heard that last year venison sales were up 400%. People love it and having the knowledge of where it comes from cannot be bad for the cause.

Back