E-Cigs - Are they adictive?

FrenchieBoy

The trend towards using e-cigs rather than smoking is (I believe) growing at a rapid rate and is more socially acceptable than smoking cigarettes.
I quit smoking ages ago, long before I went into hospital last year to have some work done on my heart. Up until then I had smoked quite heavily for most of my life and I fully realise that smoking was the main contributory factor in my heart problems, and as such the damage done was self inflicted. I did manage to quit a few times but these periods of quitting did not last long and I restarted smoking each time. Yes, I know and I don't need to be told that I am lacking in will power and I am not be as strong (mentally) as some of you - I'm not too proud of that but willing to admit it.
Since I quit the last time I have been using an e-cig as "a prop" and because of this i have not had the slightest inclination to start smoking again - and I sincerely hope that this will last. However, I have however noticed that I am using my e-cig more frequently nowadays so I have to ask the question "While e-cigs are believed to be less harmful to the health than normal smoking is are e-cigs adictive and if so are they harmful to our health"?
Do any of you have any thoughts on this please?

E-cigs are addictive. They give you the nicotine your body is/can be addicted to. The heath difference is that nicotine in itself is not harmful per se (allegedly). It is the tar in smoking that causes the damage and using a purer form of nicotine and removing the tar in the e-cig may well reduce the health risks associated with smoking - apparently. It's more socially acceptable because there is no smoke/less smell and waste etc.

Yes they are addictive , probably less injurious to your health, but the jury is still out on that one,like you I was a smoker prior to my heart attack , smoked for forty years, really enjoyed my cigs, but knew I had to stop, almost five years since I last had one don't even think of them now, even though my wife is a smoker and there are cigs in the house, I am not even tempted.

E-cigs are addictive. They give you the nicotine your body is/can be addicted to. The heath difference is that nicotine in itself is not harmful per se (allegedly). It is the tar in smoking that causes the damage and using a purer form of nicotine and removing the tar in the e-cig may well reduce the health risks associated with smoking - apparently. It's more socially acceptable because there is no smoke/less smell and waste etc.

Is it though?
I think times have moved on and by and large it isn't acceptable outside of your own house/car.
My daughter manages a pub and the policy is "No e-cigs indoors" (and she smokes) whilst yesterday in Morrisons' till queue a bloke was "smoking" one.
Nobody would queue behind him even though all the other tills were busy and it meant waiting to use them.

I have smoked roll ups for over 40 years, never tried to give up, I like smoking.
But I also realise it is going to end up killing me, I also hate the general mess and the
smell that follows along with being a smoker.
Two months ago I went out and bought an e-ci and have not touched a proper one since.
So yes they do help, but as for saving money, not a chance.
The up sides are nice as well, I can smell thing I never could, everything tastes better, and no stinking ashtrays littering the place up.
Lets hope it continues to work for me.

Neil. :)

It is easy to give up smoking…I have given up thousands of times! Mark Twain.

Luckily for me the last time I gave up, five or six years ago, something got switched and the next time I was with a smoker the smell made me nauseous rather then envious.

I think that rather than consider it in negative terms of dying from it, try the positive one of how much better your life will be living without it.

No smell, no going outside in the cold and wet, hills become less steep and a shorter distance to the top…seeing your (great) grandchildren off to college.

Good luck with giving up. If E cigs or patches help then great, still cheaper/better than the alternative.

Alan

Is it though?
I think times have moved on and by and large it isn't acceptable outside of your own house/car.
My daughter manages a pub and the policy is "No e-cigs indoors" (and she smokes) whilst yesterday in Morrisons' till queue a bloke was "smoking" one.
Nobody would queue behind him even though all the other tills were busy and it meant waiting to use them.

I have to agree with you that smoking cigarettes etc or e-cigs in public places is getting to be more unaceptable by the day. As such so I choose not to use mine in places where others might find it "offensive" - Regardless of what any laws or by-laws might say, for me it is quite simply showing consideration for others!

Unlike cigarettes you don't "finish one" and then have that pause before lighting up another. As it's there ready to go (until the battery runs out) it is easy to just keep using it or a few puffs every few minutes.

I havnt smoked for about 16yrs now i quit overnight,but my youngest son and misses carried on shes on ecigs now but my lad wont change while hes working he says too much trouble,other son and daughter never smoked,and yes i think they are addictive they will get you off the cigs tho,

I smoked roll ups for years and moved to an e-cig/viper about 18 months ago. Started with the high nicotine liquid and worked my way down to the zero nicotine liquid now and if I am honest I just use it out of habit in certain situations like driving etc. and often go for an entire day without using it which proved it is just habit with me now.

Hi sorry for this time for some facts.

1. E cigarettes are as if not more addictive than normal cigarettes
2. They are better in that you don't get any tar or noxious fumes from combustion so are less likely to cause cancer.
3. The nicotiene however will continue to damage the walls of the arteries leading to them blocking so increasing your risk of heart attack, stroke or blockage to the vessels in your legs meaning you cannot walk far.

E cigarettes should not be seen as an alternative but rather as another adjunct to stoping smoking.

BE

Frenchie,
Hi.
I too have struggled with giving up - years have passed and I am still hooked despite knowing its unhealthy and smelly and etc etc.
However, I decided I have no willpower and am quite useless at giving up but made a decision that vaping - e cigs wouldnt help and that I had to give up. Cutting down was a first step and walking a bit more helped me capitalise on that. I have (nearly) given up. (maybe 1 a week) Even I can see thats silly and it should be zero - maybe next week.
The phrase dont give up giving up applies here - you know the adverse effects just keep trying with a tiny bit of what might be the consequence for others if you dont.
Hard is not the word for it.

Hi sorry for this time for some facts.

1. E cigarettes are as if not more addictive than normal cigarettes
2. They are better in that you don't get any tar or noxious fumes from combustion so are less likely to cause cancer.
3. The nicotiene however will continue to damage the walls of the arteries leading to them blocking so increasing your risk of heart attack, stroke or blockage to the vessels in your legs meaning you cannot walk far.

E cigarettes should not be seen as an alternative but rather as another adjunct to stoping smoking.

BE

Maybe your facts are not facts, just a placebo to keep you happy ?

So lets try a couple of proper proven facts.
E-cigaretes are not addictive, but you can vape additive compounds through them.
If you vape no nicotine juice then you have little to worry about, and certainly no hardening of the arteries.
The most addictive ingredient in tobacco is not the nicotine, but the other rubbish that is put in tobacco.

Kicked , the habit and feel So , much better . Next Monday will , be a month. Very happy with -myself .

I have to say it has worked for me so far. Been smoking roll ups for 15 years. Never really wanted to quit.....i enjoy it.
However a relative bought me a e-cig and i thought i'd give it a go. Wasnt expecting much to be honest but i have to say i dont touch the tobacco now (despite still carrying it around in my pocket!). Had a few whiskies the other night and decided I'd have a " real" one and found it quite distastefull! Still early days for me but cant see me going back to roll ups.
The e cigs are easier to "smoke" more frequently though and I do wonder if im " smoking" more now than i ever have. The lack of concrete evidence regarding long term effects from e cigs does worry me somewhat but surely it is much better for me than roll ups!!??

I stopped 26 years ago cold turkey is the phrase I believe never had the inclination to start again.
The wife smoked from 16, she has now stopped for 7 years used the controversial drug champix
Along with a healthy dose of will power did her first 10 k run in 2013 I would have never believed it.

There are no easy fixes Just do it

As a smoker for fifty years I have only the following questions:-
if they are not addictive why are so many people still using them?
which accredited, recognised body has shown them to be both safe and non-addictive?
It is my opinion that those who use them in place of smoking are simply replacing one habit with another.

As a smoker for fifty years I have only the following questions:-
if they are not addictive why are so many people still using them?
which accredited, recognised body has shown them to be both safe and non-addictive?
It is my opinion that those who use them in place of smoking are simply replacing one habit with another.

Don't think anybody has said they non addictive, but even if you use one for the rest of your life it will do far less harm than smoking.

Smoked for 50 years and was superfit for a long while. Gave up the pipe a year ago as I was smoking full time and use E's now. I must admit I can get up hills a lot better without pausing to admire the view now, but every hour or so I vape. They bare definitely addictive but I no longer have to worry about being on top form so I am Ok about them.

Back