Long Nose Roe

Bez

Quick question.

When cutting a Roe Skull long nose should the dividing bone in the nose be left in or removed?
Or is it down to personal preference?

I have been taking mine out as when I cut it has been making a mess. They look fine just wondering what others do.

Cheers

What exactly do you mean by dividing bone? I cut them taking a line from the ear just above the front molar to the nose the saw blade exits just in front of the molar leaving the roof of the mouth in front of that intact.

If I'm reading you right, most of that dividing bit that runs the length of the nose is cartilage. I take as much of that out as I can. Not sure how it fares when it dries out. Might not be what you are talking about though.

What exactly do you mean by dividing bone? I cut them taking a line from the ear just above the front molar to the nose the saw blade exits just in front of the molar leaving the roof of the mouth in front of that intact.
DSCF0023.JPG
Right ok in that case I've been cutting to much. Iv been going from the ear canal to the tip of the nose using this as a guide.

I'll try and hijack a picture of the web to show what I mean

Last edited:
If I'm reading you right, most of that dividing bit that runs the length of the nose is cartilage. I take as much of that out as I can. Not sure how it fares when it dries out. Might not be what you are talking about though.
WATW_Roe_Deer_Skull1.jpg

This picture shows what I mean I loose the thin slither of bone in the nose when I do my long nose cut. Should it be intact or is this right that I should angle the cut more not to disturb it?

Last edited:
Can't open the attachment,but in the your previous pic my cut is just under the bottom black line leaving the nose intact I remove everything in the nose cartilage and there is a a bone that runs down the inside of the nose i remove that not sure if that's what you mean though.

Should have said there is nothing wrong with your cut, and if you are happy with it that's fine. there are many that don't cut at all they just remove the bottom , however my clients like them to be cut,my cut leaves a little more strength in the nose area where they are liable to break than yours does.

But there are several cuts long nose short nose skull top can't say one is more correct than another
Europeans usually insist on a long nose cut while quite a few of my American clients wanted a skull top mount

Its personal preference at the end of the day.

Should have said there is nothing wrong with your cut, and if you are happy with it that's fine. there are many that don't cut at all they just remove the bottom , however my clients like them to be cut,my cut leaves a little more strength in the nose area where they are liable to break than yours does.

But there are several cuts long nose short nose skull top can't say one is more correct than another
Europeans usually insist on a long nose cut while quite a few of my American clients wanted a skull top mount

Yea no problems pal, was just wondering what others do, or what the `proper` way was.

I'll take a pic of one of mine in a bit and show how mine are cut.

Mk

This is one of mine, are yours similar

KINDLE_CAMERA_1430771345000.jpg

Arrr right ok. No problem good to hear what others do.

Cheers for the input matey

Never actually seen it cut like that before but looks quite good. Yes mine are all now like the earlier photo. The wee ones i just cap.

Back