Advice on binoculars

Catchup

Hi guys wondered if anyone could give advice on binoculars. A friend has a pair of old Swarovski slc's habichts 7x42's he says he will sell me for £500, or I can get a pair of meopta Meostar hd 10x42 for £700 brand new. What should I go for? All help would be much appreciated.

If it were me? I'd buy the Swaros as they'll still be worth £500 in a few years time, whereas the Meoptas might tank in value... Swaro have stunning aftercare service as well - just search on here for loads of positive feedback. You could always buy the Swaros and get them sent off for a service, and they'll come back as new. Ok, you might get charged the £200 difference, but you'll have a set of bins that will outlive you if looked after

I would go for the Swarovski as they are top notch and as already mentioned will hold their value and last all your days. I ended up buying Leica only because I couldn't find any Swarovski for my budget at the time.

Thanks for the comments guys. I've sent off the serial number and found out they were manufactured in 1995. Do u think that their age would be a negative against them what with technology evolving? For example are the optics, mechanisms etc gonna be as good on a pair of 20 year old slc's compared to a present day meopta? Also the meoptas are a 10x42 and the slc 7x42 any benefits from having a higher mag?

If woodland stalking the 7x42
If hill stalking 10x42

But
That's just me....... But some folk don't like 10x due to not being able to hold steady with higher mag.

Best thing if you can .....look thru both first.... But my gut tells me the swaro

Paul

If woodland stalking the 7x42
If hill stalking 10x42

+1 to that. If you're woodland stalking you'll be hard pressed to beat 7x or 8x. The additional field of view will be of great benefit.

20 year old optics? With quality glass like Swaro, Zeiss or Leica I wouldn't give it a second thought. For example, I had a look through my 30x75 Swaro Iralin (one of these: Swarovski IRALIN 30x75 telescope military - army-store24) the other day and the optics are still crystal clear and bright, and the scope is probably around the same age, if not older. I'd be more than happy spying on the Hill or examining a buck in a field with it, and it's a darn sight handier than my STS65. I could read the very small print on a label on an oildrum about 150m away. I was surprised myself how good the image was, and I'm pretty picky when it comes to optics. I have some Zeiss Jena Notarems and they are more than adequate - all I really lose against my Swaro EL's is about 5 or 10 minutes at first/last light, but for the £1,500 price difference I could live with that.;)

Swarovski from me too, but, and it's a big but....... not as big as the wifes:evil:! I looked as th e Meopta stall at the shooting show this year and was hugely impressed with the Meopta scopes and more so the binoculars.

Like everyone else I would say go with the Swarovskis.

The only thing that I would say, and I'll probably get shot down for this, is that £500 for 20 year old 7x42 SLC's is top end of the money, not saying they aren't worth it but its secondhand retail price not mates rates.

There's a pair of 8.5x42 El in this months sporting rifle, 2/3 years good condition for £820ono, good deal that.

There's a pair of 8.5x42 El in this months sporting rifle, 2/3 years good condition for £820ono, good deal that.

That seems a good price. Got a pair of these and there are good.
In saying that I've got a pair of Carl Zeiss Jena Jenoptem 8x30W worth about £50 which are very very good.
Are the Swaros worth 18 times more, of course not!
It's basically just how much money do we want to chuck at our hobby.

It it were me i would Grab the swaro's asap before he changes his mind, i have sat in highseats with many clients and compared all makes of binos, none of them were better than my 7 x 42 slc's, dont worry about the age and £500 is a fair price for them, trust me you will not regret the purchase,

I have a pair of 10x42s bought new in '94 and they're still going strong,but they are heavy. Get ELs if you can find a pair for reasonable money,but the SLCs will do everything you'll ever need them to. I'm a big fan of Meopta scopes,although I've never looked through their bins and I don't intend to. Swaro every time and spend as much as you can afford.

I would go for the swaros every time....I have 10x42 swaro el range even though they were a fortune they will last forever. As others have said Swarovski aftercare is one of the best, they serviced an old habicht scope I bought and it came back good as new all free of charge you can't beat that really

Back