Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: two firearms licences in EU ?

two firearms licences in EU ?

A few years ago I was moving from England to Spain .I had a Firearms certificate in England and had just also obtained a firearms license in Spain.
    Having a British F/A license was a great help towards getting my Spanish license and the Spanish did not mind me having licenses in both countries.
    I then tried to renew my license in England and despite still having an English address was told that I could not have two licenses.
    I was moving house in UK from one police area to another and tried the new force and they told me the same .
    I had wanted to share the guns with my son keeping them at his address and using them when I came to visit,so the license would have been at my address and the guns at his.
    I therefore did not pursue the renewal and the license lapsed .
    I was later told by a couple of people who were firearms authorities (Well known people not someone in the pub on a Friday night,) That this was a problem that had arisen before and the Police were wrong.
    To be honest I could not be bothered starting the application all over again and could not be bothered arguing the toss with people who do not know what they are talking about.
    They then returned my application fee to an address I had not lived at for 10 years and told me I had to go and collect it even though it was 70 miles away ?
    So just a word of warning if you do move abroad keep your UK certificate as it shortens the process certainly in Spain and you can own two certificate as long as you have an address in each country .

Sounds like more hurdles for the fac's than dual nationality situation could throw up?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Finnbear 270 .
    Not quite sure what you mean ?

It would seem easier to obtain dual nationality than two fac's.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Was your address in the UK let out to someone or did you have the option to reside there?

I kept the house for a while and used it for trips back to England.Let it out about 2 years after certificate had expired .

FB 270.
    It should not be the case but it was.

If your house is let then you cannot be classed as resident in the UK. If on the other hand your house is vacant and you have the option of residing there then you can be so classed.

At the time I was refused the license the house was not let,but that was not the issue ,they stated I could not have two licenses in the EU.

Then they were wrong on both counts.

why would they even know you have a Spanish FAC?
    I lived in Japan for 3 years and was not technically resident in the UK, no issue and my renewal was dealt with like any other
    the firearms were listed on my father's FAC as well

Sounds like the usual cr@p we are fed from people who don't always know what they are administering