Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coalesced Roe Buck

Coalesced Roe Buck

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2787.JPG 
Views:	358 
Size:	559.3 KB 
ID:	56440
    Shot this chap recently - was wondering if you could give me any info on the rarity, cause, etc of this head?

It's a bad photo - but its a very symmetrical head and a 6pointer (one of the points is hidden by the bad angle)...

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    Very rare.
    Thought I had one once, but on cleaning you could see light through it.
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

Speak to Chris Rogers at Euston, he has a few on his wall taken on the estate, seems to be a local genetic tendancy there, sure he will be able to give you more information if you send him a message....
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Truly coalesced very rare as the guys said. I think I have seen a few hundred roe over the years and only ever seen one, on a wall of the big hoose on an estate in Moray.

Be interesting to know if you are near enough to Euston for it to be from the same gene pool.

Very interesting never seen one in the flesh.

Hi NickJ, that's very interesting to hear about Euston... Yes, there is only one farm separating me from Euston! I will take it down there and get some more info.

I shot one in Wiltshire a couple of years ago and sent the photos in to the Shooting Times. Due to it's rarity it actually got published with an article written about it. Sadly I chucked the magazine out in my latest move by mistake. Basically (so the article said) it usually happens in old bucks where their coronets are very wide/large. The coronets merge together as one and therefore the antlers start growing so close together that they merge into one antler at the base as they grow too. The expert said that despite seeing 1000's of roe heads for measuring over the years he had seen less than a dozen coalesced heads. I guess that gives an indication of rarity. Your's looks bigger than mine too
    Last edited by baguio; 16-05-2015 at 20:49.

Absolute cracker! You need to have that mounted.

very special.

my brother in law once shot one with 7 antlers, 3 on each side and one in the middle, i think it was an 11 pointer all in all. never seen anything like it.

Thanks all for the replies... Have finally taken it down to Euston and also asked everyone I could... It seems as mentioned above it's from a very old buck. No mention of specific gene pools from this part of Suffolk though. I am having it boiled out and measured. Will let you know if it does anything on the medal stakes. Also, I think it will be interesting to have a closer look at the teeth to gauge age...