Ultrasonic cleaning solution

247sniper

Hi guys,

What ultrasonic cleaning solution do you use and find what works best?

Cheers all

Steve

check back a few threads earlier this week i think ,,,they where on about sonic cleaners and fluids,seaclean?,,,,atb doug

There is good review of the various solutions on 6mmbr (or similar website) he ended up reckoning the cheapest and best was white vinegar, a pinch of salt and dish soap. I presume dish soap is US American for washing up liquid. (Found the site again... UltraSonic Case Cleaning )

I have just acquired an ultrasonic cleaner and have tried the stuff that came with it. I am going to try the home brew tonight to see if it is any better.

One of the big things I have discovered from my recent readings is that you can put your cartridge cases in a beaker or zip lock bag along with your preferred cleaning solution and put that into the tank which you fill with clean water, it saves having to empty and refil the tank every time you want to change from acid to alkaline solutions and means the tank stays clean.

I used a jam jar, which took 20no. .308W cases all standing upright.

Alan

ps pilot with a gun you tube video shows similar. Homemade Ultrasonic Solution for Reloading (comparison) HD - YouTube

Last edited:
Cheers thanks so far guys, good video as well Alantoo.

Will using white viniga be ok to use in a cleaner......not going to damage it no???

Cheers thanks so far guys, good video as well Alantoo.

Will using white viniga be ok to use in a cleaner......not going to damage it no???

Depends what your cleaner tank is made from but it would be a pretty poor machine that had a problem with a mild acid like vinegar. Especially diluted one to one with water as per the recipe in the web site review. Stainless steel tanks are used to contain heavy duty pickling tank acids.

Any way as I said above, the smart thing is to put the vinegar and the brass into a seperate container and sit that in your basket. As long as nothing rests on the bottom of the tank it won't harm the transducers. And if the acid is inside a glass jar it won't be in contact with the tank....have two or three jars on the go, one with vinegar/acid cleaner, one with soda bicarbonate to kill the acid , and one clean water to rinse.

To make it crystal clear...The cases are in jars sitting in the basket in the tank. The tank is full of clean water which transmits the vibrations through the glass of the jars, through the solution inside the jars to interact/oscillate the cases. I read somewhere that the thinner the glass beaker/jar was the better. Mine worked fine with a jam jar, the cases were rotating, it has a 240watt ultrasonic power unit.

Alan

Last edited:
Alantoo is spot on, it's exactly how I do it and the cases are free of every last bit of dross. If the primer pockets are clean so are the interiors.

Well if I can find the link I read at 4:30 this morning as I could not get to sleep, a bloke in the midlands posted on a American web site that he uses water sea lean adds rinse aid and then when finished he washes them of dries and re loads,

I use sea clean water and a pinch of concentrated washing up liquid, cycle rince dry in a grill on a sheet of tin foil, I don't see the need to change it as it does what I need it to,

Bob

Hi Bob - how much Sea Clean do you use per litre of water?

Ian

Hi Ian, I hope you are well sir,

I think I use about 1 cap per ltr of water then I use a lidls concentrated was liquid but that is just a drop as it can get a bit foamy :doh: If you use to much, I can't recall the maker of the wash liquid as our local lidl has been closed for a long time so now I use a concentration from fairy liquid,

I love it as I can just set the time for about 30 mins, and crack on with prep or loading for the next cal, then I take the brass out and shake it like they do in a chip shop just above the machine then back in for another 30 mins etc,

Ps; I'm a tight Rs and I use collected rain water from my water but in the garden :)

Bob.

I use a 50/50 solution of Lidl Lemonade and water, with only one or two drops of washing up liquid. Works well in my cleaner. I add cases and solution to a glass beaker and stand that in the cleaner tank with water added to the tank. This keeps it all clean and minimises amount of solution needed,

Back