Variation possibly, what you reckon?

rodp

I've sold one of the .22 LR's I had and the thought crossed my mind of applying for a variation on the empty slot while I send my cert off.

I have = .22 fac air, .22LR, .17HMR, .243. What else would be useful and what would be "good reason"? How about .17 or .22 centre fire ? Maybe something to replace the .17hmr

I know I don't NEED another rifle but that doesn't stop me wanting one.

Any thoughts gents ?

I've sold one of the .22 LR's I had and the thought crossed my mind of applying for a variation on the empty slot while I send my cert off.

I have = .22 fac air, .22LR, .17HMR, .243. What else would be useful and what would be "good reason"? How about .17 or .22 centre fire ? Maybe something to replace the .17hmr

I know I don't NEED another rifle but that doesn't stop me wanting one.

Any thoughts gents ?

I feel if you can't think of a 'good reason', than that means that you don't have a good reason!

I feel if you can't think of a 'good reason', than that means that you don't have a good reason!

+1 never really understood the don't need it but want it bit, rifle is a tool to do a job if you can't think of a good reason for adding another then you don't need it, if you don't need it why bother, what are you going to do with it? Look at it?

+1 never really understood the don't need it but want it bit, rifle is a tool to do a job if you can't think of a good reason for adding another then you don't need it, if you don't need it why bother, what are you going to do with it? Look at it?

I'll use it, at least to see if it would be better than an existing calibre. I obviously don't need another as I have all bases covered, but I may find a different calibre would suit my needs better ! Only one way to find out.

Several folk have said .204, which I may find more useful than the .17hmr.

:D I totally get the don't really need but want. I'm sure if we all tried really hard, we could manage with, say one rimfire and one centrefire. Where's the fun in that though?

I would suggest that if your .243 is a walk-around rifle then a heavier barrelled varmint in .204 or a .22 calibre would be a good idea. (I struggle when people get excited about the difference between .222 and .223, but I feel that .223 gives you a wider choice of rifles if nothing else.) Your 'good reason' might then be a rifle to use for longer range work off the car bonnet. If your .243 already fits this task, then how about a .22 centrefire to use with a permanent night vision setup?

Or, if you shoot larger deer, why not jump up in calibres and feed the .243 with 58gr ballistics for fox at impressive speeds?

regards

Ian

:D I totally get the don't really need but want. I'm sure if we all tried really hard, we could manage with, say one rimfire and one centrefire. Where's the fun in that though?

I would suggest that if your .243 is a walk-around rifle then a heavier barrelled varmint in .204 or a .22 calibre would be a good idea. (I struggle when people get excited about the difference between .222 and .223, but I feel that .223 gives you a wider choice of rifles if nothing else.) Your 'good reason' might then be a rifle to use for longer range work off the car bonnet. If your .243 already fits this task, then how about a .22 centrefire to use with a permanent night vision setup?

Or, if you shoot larger deer, why not jump up in calibres and feed the .243 with 58gr ballistics for fox at impressive speeds?

regards

Ian

So far only munties around where I shoot, which is not a million miles from you (Pensax way). I have seen what I thought to be roe but it was through nv and in scrub so no clear sight, big for a munty though. I know there's roe in Dunley, which isn't far as the deer flies.
The .243 is probably as big as I want, or need, to go.
I was told about boar over that way, have you seen anything?

In your opinion it is a tool but to most people that shoot it is a toy that does a job of work occasionally.And you cannot have too many toys.If you need to paint some window frames you could manage with a 1 inch brush but a 1/2 inch brush is easier to use.Guns are the same if you want to shoot rabbits or crows at 350 metres you could manage with a 223 but it is slightly easier with a 22-250 so why not buy both.Then you may need something a bit quieter so you can go and buy a 22 hornet,now you only need the 22-250 it will do everything you need but it is your hobby so why not

In your opinion it is a tool but to most people that shoot it is a toy that does a job of work occasionally.And you cannot have too many toys.If you need to paint some window frames you could manage with a 1 inch brush but a 1/2 inch brush is easier to use.Guns are the same if you want to shoot rabbits or crows at 350 metres you could manage with a 223 but it is slightly easier with a 22-250 so why not buy both.Then you may need something a bit quieter so you can go and buy a 22 hornet,now you only need the 22-250 it will do everything you need but it is your hobby so why not

That about sums it up, he who dies with the most toys wins :thumb:

Really? can't understand
how many screwdrivers do you have?
have more than one coffee cup in the house?

jeez if every FAC holder only had the rifle they "needed" the gun industry would be dead and everyone would have a .308!

OP
lots of vermin CF in .17-22 that would fit the gap
whatever you do don't let the slot just disappear, do the 141 now you can always change the actual calibre/cartridge at a later date

That about sums it up, he who dies with the most toys wins :thumb:

... and there are no pockets in a shroud (or so I am told.)

I haven's seen boar or evidence of any on my permissions, but there have been a few sighting reports from places nearby so we will see. We have very few Roe, so we are leaving them alone.

On top of my deer calibres, I would struggle to live without my Sako 85 Varmint Stainless in .223 as we have a very heavy fox population. We shoot a tremendous amount but the surrounding farms don't so it's a constant battle. As such, it's permanently set up with Norma .223 40gr Vmax and is wearing a Zeiss 6-24x56FL. Also very handy for long range crows and rabbits. :)

That's maybe the difference it was and is my job of work has been for fifty years managed with one rimfire and one centre fire,did have access to estate rifles but they were not a necessity, recently got rid of a couple of shotguns, so now one shotgun one rimfire and one centre fire, have never thought of guns as toys they are tools that enabled me to do my job a bit like a joiners hammer .

That's maybe the difference it was and is my job of work has been for fifty years managed with one rimfire and one centre fire,did have access to estate rifles but they were not a necessity, recently got rid of a couple of shotguns, so now one shotgun one rimfire and one centre fire, have never thought of guns as toys they are tools that enabled me to do my job a bit like a joiners hammer .

.... but you do remember somewhere in those 50 years getting excited about something at some point? :D

Fair enough, I can understand that :thumb:

.... but you do remember somewhere in those 50 years getting excited about something at some point? :D

I probably did but can't remember bloody alzheimers:rofl:

Seriously though I do feel slightly uneasy when words like toys and fun are mentioned in connection with guns.
Guns are most certainly not toys! there is nothing wrong with taking pride in your marksmanship nor enjoying the experience of what we do, and yes the feeling of excitement is part and parcel of that, but I do think fun is the wrong word when it comes to taking somethings life, anyone who thinks of the actual killing of something as fun is probably the wrong person to be allowed any gun or rifle.

Yes if you have a a use or a need for additional rifle or rifles by all means do so, I do believe if you are deemed fit for one full bore rifle you should be deemed fit for any full bore and and how many you have should not be an issue
as far as the law is concerned.

However I am still slightly disturbed by the individual who stockpiles rifles not because he has a use for them, but for no other reason than he wants them.

Last edited:
I probably did but can't remember bloody alzheimers:rofl:

However I am still slightly disturbed by the individual who stockpiles rifles not because he has a use for them, but for no other reason than he wants them.

What a great reply! :lol: I think the Alzheimer thing is hitting me early especially where car keys and my wallet are concerned.

I agree about the stock piling thing. I know shooters who have permissions and hardly ever go out on them even though the pests are out of control but keep a hold just to own the firearms. Makes no sense to me. Seems they should bow out and give someone else a go.

I don't see it as the case in this thread though. Seems the OP has an itch for another calibre or different style of gun and I am into that. There is another thread on here where a guy is wanting to scratch a 20 cal itch.

Whilst I know where you are coming from with the word 'fun'. (It seems out of place.) If the enjoyment of the engineering and precision of rifles, the thrill of being in the outdoors and the search for the quarry was drudgery, then we probably wouldn't do it.

What a great reply! :lol: I think the Alzheimer thing is hitting me early especially where car keys and my wallet are concerned.

I agree about the stock piling thing. I know shooters who have permissions and hardly ever go out on them even though the pests are out of control but keep a hold just to own the firearms. Makes no sense to me. Seems they should bow out and give someone else a go.

I don't see it as the case in this thread though. Seems the OP has an itch for another calibre or different style of gun and I am into that. There is another thread on here where a guy is wanting to scratch a 20 cal itch.

Whilst I know where you are coming from with the word 'fun'. (It seems out of place.) If the enjoyment of the engineering and precision of rifles, the thrill of being in the outdoors and the search for the quarry was drudgery, then we probably wouldn't do it.

Very true, it's just good to be out. I also like the finesse of shooting (or sometimes lack of) and it all adds up to fun.

Back