New Zealand Trip

Jonesie

I was wondering if anyone may be able to offer any advice

Me an two mates are going out to New Zealand next year on a hunting/fishing trip. We are planning end of April beginning of May for three weeks. I have a mate who lives out there who has a boat and truck etc, so he is helping us with the fishing part. I was wondering if anyone had any advise on the hunting side. we are planning 1 week fishing on the coromandel, 1 week in the Taupo area for the Sika roar then a week in the mount cook/south westland area for Tahr.

I spent 3 weeks flying fishing around the south island about 4 years ago so roughly know my way about. Managed a bit of hunting too for goat and reds in the Kiakoura area.

Do you know how easy it is to bring over rifles and what the procedure is with the airlines.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Jonsie

I was wondering if anyone may be able to offer any advice

Me an two mates are going out to New Zealand next year on a hunting/fishing trip. We are planning end of April beginning of May for three weeks. I have a mate who lives out there who has a boat and truck etc, so he is helping us with the fishing part. I was wondering if anyone had any advise on the hunting side. we are planning 1 week fishing on the coromandel, 1 week in the Taupo area for the Sika roar then a week in the mount cook/south westland area for Tahr.

I spent 3 weeks flying fishing around the south island about 4 years ago so roughly know my way about. Managed a bit of hunting too for goat and reds in the Kiakoura area.

Do you know how easy it is to bring over rifles and what the procedure is with the airlines.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Jonsie

Hi Jonsie,

me and a friend did a similar thing a few years back now. We both flew with our .308s and it was quite straightforward on the way out (flew air New Zealand). You get a firearm visitor pass on arrival which lasts a year, so very tempting to just stay! We hired a camper for our time there, just over a month, and was ideal as both transport and accomodation and the country's well set up for campers.

we hunted mainly DOC land to start with, both north and south, around the kaimanawas near taupo which is good for sika, down the godley in the south and all over really. To be honest we weren't very successful on doc land! Although the cabins set up for hunters and fisherman are a great experience. As we found out the areas we went to had been heavily shot out and poisoned with 1080. It wasn't until we hooked up with a guide that we got into some beasts! And still on Doc land. I'd recommending finding someone who's in the know and can take you to the right places. The terrain and bush is vast and challenging. Find a good guide at a reasonable day rate and they can make life easier for you. Thar hunting is fantastic, a real physical challenge, but again I'd get someone to go with who's in the know, and ideally a chopper in and walk down option!

the only problem we had was flying back out via Hong Kong. We were taken off the plane and taken to a kind of interrogation room with armed police, they broke into our rifle cases and the whole thing was a bit scary. Despite all our relevant paperwork it was like we were terrorists! I'd never go via Hong Kong again.

anyway, if you want more info or photos mail me, As you can see i could waffle on about it for ages.! I love the country.

Boar boy,

Can you tell me a bit more about the visitor firearm permit?

I get a fair amount of time off in June and July and have been starting to plan a 30 day trip, archery and/or rifle. I have a few contacts there but not as many as I need to make it a go, yet.

www.police.govt.nz/advice/firearms-prohibited-offensive-weapons
Go here there is all the
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]information you need on firearms in NZ it's quite straight forward, ammo is not a problem most calibre's are available, I can help out with ammo if you need,
I am 45 minutes north of Taupo, 2 and a half hours from Auckland,
Robert.
[/FONT]

Thanks Robert kind offer,

I might take you up on it.

I spent a bit of time in that area before, near matamata, didn't manage any hunting did some fishing.

Jonesie

www.police.govt.nz/advice/firearms-prohibited-offensive-weapons
Go here there is all the
information you need on firearms in NZ it's quite straight forward, ammo is not a problem most calibre's are available, I can help out with ammo if you need,
I am 45 minutes north of Taupo, 2 and a half hours from Auckland,
Robert.
That site needs to be removed immediately. A government built and hosted site that is straight forward and logical - what are they thinking? I actually got on, and figured out what was what in 5 minutes. That can't stand. They need to hire an American or Brit Bureaucrat to muck up the site with legalese and pointless links that cause more questions than they answer.

seriously though, thank you. What a great and helpful link.

Yeah we tend to be straight forward and helpful, if you come down here bring a nice rig and sell it to defray some of the cost it will probably be easier than returning to the States with it,
Robert.

Jonesie i am happy to take you out stalking when you are in New Zealand. For Sika i would flight by helicopter here is one company http://www.helisika.co.nz/hunting-blocks/

If u have a search on here will be similar threads to this. I'm hoping to get out in next ew years for a 'proper' hunting trip. Last time i was out it was the wrong time of year (wedding) and still too much snow on the hills (Nov) to go after Thar

I'd advise have a look on the DoC website quite good and shows all the DoC (free hunting) land and where huts are
Also the Spot X book is quite good, basically a book with a list of 'X's where some of the good hunting areas are and wot species are there, think other books for fishing too

Jonesie i am happy to take you out stalking when you are in New Zealand. For Sika i would flight by helicopter here is one company http://www.helisika.co.nz/hunting-blocks/

Predator,

Thanks for the offer I would like to take you up on that, where you based?

I've though about the helisika thing, I like the idea of getting a block to ourselves but will probably fly with them whether into one of their blocks or DOC land.

Cheers

Jonesie

If u have a search on here will be similar threads to this. I'm hoping to get out in next ew years for a 'proper' hunting trip. Last time i was out it was the wrong time of year (wedding) and still too much snow on the hills (Nov) to go after Thar

I'd advise have a look on the DoC website quite good and shows all the DoC (free hunting) land and where huts are
Also the Spot X book is quite good, basically a book with a list of 'X's where some of the good hunting areas are and wot species are there, think other books for fishing too

Country boy,

Spent alot of time looking at the DoC website and have bought the spot x book. I think they offer a good starting point. I bought the john Kent book for fly fishing in the south island, it's a brilliant reference guide of most of the rivers of intrested.

The problem is just trying to narrow a few locations down as there is so much land and not enough time to see it all or even a tiny percentage of it.

I will give you some info when I get back from our trip that will hopefully be of assistance.

Cheers

Jonesie

When you start to assemble your kit, pack light, take the essentials and leave the rest. I did 3 weeks there in 2008 and you don't need masses of kit. That what you feel you may have forgotten can be picked up on location as there a some excellent shops in NZ, very friendly and helpful folk with a healthy approach.

Cheers.
I'd second wot Jeagger said above but the prices in NZ have went crazy from the 1st time i was out there, and decent outdoor gear is very expensive, which shocked me for such an oudoor country.

I know u will be tight time wise but the Routeburn Track is well worth a walk, absolutely stunning scenery, meant to be 1 of most famous/best tracks in world or something. I done the greenstone the 1st day and onto the route burn the 2nd, met a copuple of hunters up the greenstone and seen a few fallow, think they close it throu the walking season thou.

Sure there is a forum siimilar to this as well over there?

My final tip is get as fit as u possibly can, and then get fitter,can be quite hard country esp if ur off trail

Yes indeed, forgot to mention fitness...it's not for the faint of heart in the bush. When you've trained and you're fit, start over and double up...rucksack full of rocks and get out in the hills.

Also, choose your boots carefully, don't scrimp and buy the best x 2, wet and dry.

Cheers guys,

I am slowly putting together bits of kit, tent, sleeping bag, jetboil etc. Yes when I was last out there everything did seem expensive.

I'm pretty fit as I still play rugby but plan to get fitter and do some mountain/hill training with heavy packs.

Would like to get up into the greenstone, some good fishing in that area too.

Cheers

Jonesie

Shooternz ( or any other Kiwi wanting to chime in)

Couple questions, first - reading through DOC rules, it seems that there are very few restrictions on game, but they mention no rim fires and no shotguns in many area? What is the deal with that? Seems like a shotgun would be a nice addition if staying back in a hut along a river?

Secondly, the Lake Taupo area seems to be the best area for sika. Are there other species present in that area, such as pigs, reds, small game, etc...?

Jonesie, have you signed up on the fishnhunt forum yet? Loads of helpful Kiwi's on there.

Cootmeurer. I may not be 100% correct but until a kiwi corrects me.

Depending on wot ur using the shotgun for. Think the birds are pretty well protected and have fairly strict seasons for the ones u can shoot (non lead shot for ducks now 12g, ok to use lead in a 16g or smaller) as most birds are all native whereas almost all mammal species are introduced and non native so essentially vermin so very little rules or seasons.
I know there is certain 'bird' shooting areas of DoC land i think in most others all birds are protected even the 1's u can shoot

Some popular blocks have 'draws' on during the rut/roar to restrict hnter numbers, but more for safety. Also if u read any kiwi hunting mag they always tell u to carry any trophy upside down or put a high viz on it just incase u become a target if someone sees the antlers moving throu the brush

Back