Highland region Scottish Police

levigsp

Hi All I refrained from posting this until I had the final outcome of my variation application for two new rifles and mods.
Giving me a total of no more than Ive had in the past.
Finaly today the FAC arrived, all correct etc, but it has taken 8 weeks.
Makes you wonder!

Last edited:
That's pretty odd - they are usually by return - sometimes whilst you wait.

My renewal didn't take that long.

They (more particularly the Police themselves) do seem to be very under-resourced.

I had my variation, renewal [with 4 extra rifles & mods] done in half that time.

I've never had any issues with Inverness. I know that routine Police Constables are struggling to keep up with their general workloads, which will effect the turn around for renewals.

I had another rifle and mod added with no problems at all from Inverness police station. I dropped it into the station in Inverness and it was posted back through my door ten days later and that was only back in February this year.

I have never had a problem in the past with Northern Constabulary, but this variation was a different matter.
The calibers were no different to what I used to have, with the two added I still will have less than 10 years ago and I could go on.
I am worried as my renewal is due the middle of December and I will be away hunting in Europe from the renewal date and the prospect of it not arriving on time, gives me nightmares.

I have never had a problem in the past with Northern Constabulary, but this variation was a different matter.
The calibers were no different to what I used to have, with the two added I still will have less than 10 years ago and I could go on.
I am worried as my renewal is due the middle of December and I will be away hunting in Europe from the renewal date and the prospect of it not arriving on time, gives me nightmares.

My renewal is with Central, the forms have been in for a while, and my ticket is due up on 8th June, came home from work this afternoon, and there was a section 7 waiting for me, dated till mid Sept..I was waiting till next week to ask for one BTW,..and a covering letter saying that they did'nt think my new ticket would be in to me on time, due to the workload they had...the letter tells me I can use/hold my guns as well as buy ammo, listed on the rear of said Temp FAC, ...:) IMHO, Good service from Central Police...:) So, From my experience today, you should have a Section 7 delivered before your ticket times out....But, have no idea if the new calibers would be on it, I've asked for a 270 as well as my other CF's, but it was'nt on the temp ticket...

Last edited:
I had the same problem - FAC ran out the day before I returned from Namibia.

It arrived with a week to spare - it did however require a good few phone calls and emails.

They do respond though I have to say and do genuinely appear to want to provide a good service - the police seem very hampered by lack of boots on the ground.

Back