Advice on scope choice for .22 rf

NBF

Hi,

I just can decide on what scope to buy for my .22 rf...that's where you come in!
Budget is around £250.
& I use the rifle for rabbits daytime, evening & lamping over distances from 30 yards to 75 yards.
Parallax? or don't bother with Parallax adjustment?
Fixed magnification or variable?

I've half thought about a Leupold VX 1 3-9 x 40 or a Redfield Revolution 3-9 x 50 or maybe a MTC Mamba scope or a S&B 6x42....?

Cheers:cool:

Hi,

I just can decide on what scope to buy for my .22 rf...that's where you come in!
Budget is around £250.
& I use the rifle for rabbits daytime, evening & lamping over distances from 30 yards to 75 yards.
Parallax? or don't bother with Parallax adjustment?
Fixed magnification or variable?

I've half thought about a Leupold VX 1 3-9 x 40 or a Redfield Revolution 3-9 x 50 or maybe a MTC Mamba scope or a S&B 6x42....?

Cheers:cool:

S&B 6x42 all the way for me.

I've a cheap Hawke 3-9x40 on mine with a mil-dot reticule.

Glass quality isn't great but I rarely lamp with it so don't worry about this. It holds it zero so I can't complain.

X9 mag is enough for me. I usually use it like a fixed power scope anyway.

The best aspect of the scope is the reticule - the 'dots' help me compensate for the rainbow trajectory of the subsonic ammo at longer ranges. Probably not a must, but something for you to consider.

£250 will get you a very nice scope for a .22LR!

hh

mtc genesis is a nice scope,the AMD reticle is very good and not to cluttered,also the hawke sidewinder 10 halfmil dot gets very good reviews,although both are slightly more expensive than your budget

all ive got on mine is a old 3-9x42 nikko stirling, i dont think you have to go to mad on a scope for a .22 and as all ready stated a 6x42 would be good especialy if its from schmidt ziess or swaro if you can find one to fit your budget if not what about a meopta 7x50 im sure you could find a non iluminted 1 inch tube model for your money

any scope will do
depends on what you plan to do
range and dial, guess and hold, guess and hold with mildots?

personally any rifle I use at night i moved to a fixed scope, 6x42, 7x50, 8x50 all similar spec in meopta (has a graduated reticule), vintage nikko stirling (bog standard No.4 ret) to the higher spec S&B or Swaro

overkill in the scope department won't make you hit more bunnies

After much deliberation, faffing and fooling I ended up with what I should have started with: Meopta 6x42 with the B4 ret.

Amazing brightness and clarity, extra aim points if you want to use them (second aim point is just about dead on at 100 assuming a 50 yard zero with subs) and nothing to mess about with in the field

You might want a side focus scope if you plan on using a night vision add-on, otherwise I'd take the brightest scope possible which, by definition, will get more from less lamplight. When lamping I am a great believer in as little additional light as possible - this contrasts directly with a few of my friends who seem to want a lighthouse strapped to their gun, that can illuminate the next county...

Mil dots on .22 subs are next to useless IMHO unless you go up to high magnification.

50 yard zero with Ely subs using mil dots on 7x gives around 87, 122 and 154 in the first three mil dots.
At 14x the mil dots would be around 66, 87, 104, 122 (ish) but who wants to use 14x magnification in the field ?

In my experience you can more or less aim dead on from around 20 - 60 yards with .22 subs. Multiple aim points will depend on whether you want to use them and whether they are close enough together to be of use at reasonable magnification.

A good friend of mine uses a plain ret 6x42. He either uses holdover or, when doing longer range shooting in good light he lasers and clicks the vertical adjustment to dial the shot in.

As always, your mileage may vary, but I wish you good luck no matter what you decide on.

mtc genesis is a nice scope,the AMD reticle is very good and not to cluttered,also the hawke sidewinder 10 halfmil dot gets very good reviews,although both are slightly more expensive than your budget

I have a mtc genesis that i am looking to move on if you decide on that

I just have a cheap Simmons fixed 6*42 on my .17HMR. I think it only cost about £80 about 10 years ago. Has held zero and I don't tend to miss much. £250 is a lot t spend on a .22RF scope that you're using inside 100 yds.

mildot scopes used in conjunction with a range finder are excellent as in using corresponding mildot marks and distances,i rarely miss a shot like this as it takes all the guess work out,(up a bit /down a bit),and is alot quicker than dialing in

Bushnell AR Optics Trophy 2-7-x32mm .22 LR with BDC reticle, exposed turrets and side parallax adjustment.

Bushnell Legend BDC 2-7x32, comes in 35 and 75 yard parallax. ( on sale for $110.00 USD)

Nikon P-Rimfire .22 with target turrets, 2-7x32mm Nikoplex reticle.

Nikon P-Rimfire .22 with target turrets, 2-7x32mm BDC 150.

Vortex Crossfire 2-7x32 BDC

Burris Fullfield 2-7x35mm BDC or 3-9x40 BDC. ( I have both )
Burris MSR with .22 LR BDC reticle.

Hawke 4x32 Mil Dot or 2-7x32 Mil Dot AO. ( I have both ). Zero at 50 yards, and at 7x the first dot down
(5 MOA ) below is on at 100 yards, halfway in between at 80 yards.

----- or, go simple, as others above do ----

If you just have one .22 and a favorite deer rifle, set up the .22 give the same view as the centerfire. I use a 6x42 Kahles on a .308 and a less expensive 6x42 duplex on a .223 Howa, and on a .22 LR. You can to the same with variable power scopes. I shoot Burris with Bplex on several rifles, and Burris Bplex on a .22 LR.

Last edited:
Swarovski 6x42 keeps It simple ... Glass Is so good that I can shot longer without a lamp ... Bang on at £250.00

Back