Feeding old frozen game

Hales Smut

I probably have 20/30 kg of old game in the freezer. ( 2006 / 2007 / 2008 pheasants,hare,....... ) I consider feeding it to the dogs . Would this be better raw or coocked? Bones!!!!!!

I have fed frozen game and other stuff a few years old plenty of times, but probably not that old. It cant be bad if it's frozen - maybe stale.

Definitely NOT cooked. Thaw a bit thoroughly and try it. I reckon the mutt will love it.

If you are going to feed it, make sure it's raw ( cooked bones can be dangerous for dogs)
probably best if the dog is kennelled ( farting)
people sometimes forget what a dogs natural diet should be

Just moved the lab 3 weeks ago to raw ... Difference is amazing ... Very little scour, half the amount of faeces as before .... Just shows what some kibble is filled with bulk fillers ... In & out !
As said above Bones must be raw !!
Some folk state that some raw better to be frozen for couple of weeks to kill off bacteria .
Defrost & have a sniff ...
As a guide if I wouldn't eat it I won't feed it to the dog .

Paul

Surely of that age it would have freezer burn there for I'd be throwing it in the bin.

Raw food gives my dogs the squits.

Very surprised at the number of people advocating feeding raw game from frozen, especially when bird bones are mentioned, any bird bones can be dangerous, cooked or raw.
if it is that old it will probably be as dry as an old boot and benefit from cooking

I personally would cook them all together and debone them, then use any generic biscuit mixer for carbs and fibre.

As for volume of faeces that is just standard for the low quality dog foods

boil the birds up with a couplke of cups of rice and then run it all through a mincer the bones mince up small enough as not to be dangerous the dogs will love it better than and more natural than cheap dry food as a change.

I feed my labs and terriers raw but bones out never had any problems since when have foxes and wolves had it cooked

I am a little (only a little:D) surprised at the emergence of some old furphies here. Please note that no wild canine:

1/ Has its food cooked.

2/ Eats rice, unless it is present in the gut of its prey.

3/ Passes up a bird meal

4/ Has its food deboned.

No commercial dog food is as good at meeting the natural requirements of a dog as raw food.

Bones are the source of much of the canines mineral requirements. I have fed thousands (yes - thousands) of bird carcases, many, many, deer ribcages and many. many rabbits to dogs. Check the rabbits for hydatids, then chop the rabbits in half with an axe. One half equals a meal - feet, fur, head, guts - the lot. Never a problem. although I am sure my gut wouldn't fare so well.

and I have 30 years of living with a vet who put 3 kids through private school on the fees from surgery to remove chicken and poultry bones from "pets"...not wolves or wild dogs,

You can feed them what you like but I won't be sticking bird bones in my dogs bowl. period

as for natural which part of the majority of overly engineered and genetically malformed breeds that we call dogs do you think is natural?
Surely such fierce wild beasts shouldn't need the protection of drugs and parasite control?
just chuck em a dead deer every now and then and give em a kick for good measure......

We could all survive on road kill, sleeping rough and living without sanitation..... doesn't mean its the only way or the best way

it's no surprise some 'gundogs' only live to about 1/2 their otherwise expected life expectancy. Feed them well with good dryfood and some good cooked rice, vegetables and other meats like fish and chicken, and beef/venison, don't overwork them and exhaust them, don't let them jump into cars or run up and down stairs too much, and most good breeds should make a nice old age. Labs, I've seen working dogs treated like 'working dogs' live to not much past 7..my labs that we've had in the family have gone to around 14, never less, but they get treated very well too of course.

as for feeding frozen game. I do so, but stick in the aga for a few hours then shred the meat off with a fork to remove bones and keep the meat easily digestable..would probably set the limit at 2012 / ie. 3 yrs or so..but then, I'd personally be happy eating 3 year old frozen game and have done so many times.

this is not a judgement on those treating their dogs differently to what I do, just my thoughts and experiences and observations.

and I have 30 years of living with a vet who put 3 kids through private school on the fees from surgery to remove chicken and poultry bones from "pets"...not wolves or wild dogs,

You can feed them what you like but I won't be sticking bird bones in my dogs bowl. period

as for natural which part of the majority of overly engineered and genetically malformed breeds that we call dogs do you think is natural?
Surely such fierce wild beasts shouldn't need the protection of drugs and parasite control?
just chuck em a dead deer every now and then and give em a kick for good measure......

We could all survive on road kill, sleeping rough and living without sanitation..... doesn't mean its the only way or the best way

I don't doubt that the vet to whom you refer has removed bones of some description from pets. I do doubt that itwas a sufficiently common occurrence to provide the levels of income to which you allude. A wee exaggeration ?:D

I would suggest that nowadays that vet may well make more money performing dental and periodontal work on dogs that have been fed on dry food - the dry food that, here at least, is sold by vets. Maybe, maybe not ??

One thing that seems to have not been unduly affected, if at all by all the buggerising around and physical modifying of dogs to which you refer is their digestive tract. I'm no scientist, so I would be happy to learn of evidence that suggests dogs don't have similar dietary needs and digestive processes to those that have existed for hundreds, if not thousands, of years.

If the digestive tract operates in the same way, and the nutritional needs are the same, surely it makes sense to provide for those needs in accordance with the original design. If there is evidence to suggest that these aspects of a dog have changed, I'm happy to learn. I continue to wonder at how a dog can crunch up what it does with no cut gums, and no other problems, but they do, and do so very well, because they are set up to do it, regardless of breed. Even the squashed face things like pugs and pekes seem to digest it fine once they have been able to chew it and get it down.

We can certainly improve the way those inherent and natural needs are met by providing bones etc from a cleaner source than available in the wild. This is easiest done by obtaining raw food from sources certified as fit for human consumption. Appropriate treatment for whatever parasites are a problem wherever you and the dog operate is an obvious precaution.

Also happy for anyone to explain what there is in rice for dogs. Oats have more protein, if you must feed a grain. The fact that it is popular, doesn't mean that it has any value.

And whats' wrong with road kill ? :DProvided its not rotten or bruised, or wasted, it tastes fine and poses no risk to man or beast. Ditto for freezer burn. It may be stale and unappetizing, but please explain how it can be harmful ? Surely the worst it can be to a dog is useless.

The OP was looking for some help. More research and thought, and less obfuscation and vociferation would increase the chance of getting that help.

Back