Sourcing robust freezer bags

User00023

Sourcing robust freezer bags 2

Can anybody point me in the direction of somebody who sells freezer bags both strong and large enough to take muntjac or roe joints? I was given a few butchers bags just recently and was amazed at just how much thicker they were than off-the-shelf domestic bags. Trouble is, they seem only to be available from trade outlets and in trade quantities. I have no access to the former and have no need of the numbers supplied with the latter.

My thanks in anticipation of any suggestions you may wish to offer.

Last edited:
You could ask your local butcher to add a few to his next order and pay him what they cost. Alternatively, I've recently bought a vacuum packer off ebay for £79.00 and the bags are thick and the finished result is brilliant. I was very suprised as more than one person said that the cheap Vac packers were rubbish.

Cheers chaps!

Lee, I took a look at the Tesco variety on my last visit. Seems I shouldn't have prevaricated after all. I'll try them for starters but will keep the other suggestions on file for future reference.

Oh, and by the way, they'll be Norfolk deer in them bags if I'm lucky. Had a 'phone call last night from over your way, "There are munties everywhere!". Sounds like the breeding programme is still working then. :D

Lidl do strong freezer bag which will take roe haunches no problem.They are called Aromata ;)

Cheers chaps!

Lee, I took a look at the Tesco variety on my last visit. Seems I shouldn't have prevaricated after all. I'll try them for starters but will keep the other suggestions on file for future reference.

Oh, and by the way, they'll be Norfolk deer in them bags if I'm lucky. Had a 'phone call last night from over your way, "There are munties everywhere!". Sounds like the breeding programme is still working then. :D

tell me about it mate !

i was out last night and bagged a couple of the blighters , bucks were chasing does all over the wood i saw 10 at least !

cheers lee

I have a load of extremely tough bags about 24"x18" from a mate who works in a dairy. They use them to vacuum pack / heat seal the large bulk blocks of cheese. I actually use them as liners for my game bag or for buck's heads etc.

They may even be a little too thick actually as I've used them in the past to haul a load of rubble :eek:, but I'd be happy to send you some if they'd be any use.

Alex

Thank you, Alex, for your very kind offer. Your post, however, has given me an idea. Your mention of hauling rubble reminded me that my local DIY store once sold thick ploythene sacks for that very purpose and would, I'm sure, be perfect for the job. :idea: I'll try and pop in there and see whether they are still available. Thanks again but I hope you will forgive me if I decline your generosity for the moment while I find out if I might "B&Q it"!

Ok, no worries. :thumb:

My local Waitrose stocks extra thick polythene sacks too, they are with the bin bags etc. The only thing is that they are solid blue so you can't see what is in them. The cheese bags are clear.

Alex

Back