Licensing delays in Tayside

With so many forces obviously struggling to meet targets on renewals and the like, one wonders whether this is due to the cutbacks in funding, a sudden surge in demand/interest in shooting sports or an agenda.

Interestingly, I was talking to my neighbour, who recently had his visit for renewals of SGC. He was questioned thoroughly on exactly why he needed each shotgun and whether he might consider reducing the number of guns held. The FEO stated that there was a push from Glasgow (Police Scotland main HQ) to reduce the numbers of guns legally held.
So much for paying higher fees for a more efficient service eh ?

With so many forces obviously struggling to meet targets on renewals and the like, one wonders whether this is due to the cutbacks in funding, a sudden surge in demand/interest in shooting sports or an agenda.

Up here it seems to be the latter with cutbacks too. I know that my local FEO is snowed under, which is a bit frustrating. Goodness knows that it will be like when he has to deal with air rifles too.

Last edited:
I was speaking to the guy that has just done my renewal....3 full-time FEO's are to go from Dundee, being replaced by 1, the enquiries being done by uniformed officers amongst their other duties. They think the changes will start to happen in August.

God knows what it'll be like when the Air weapon licensing is added....he thinks it can't work. I suppose one answer is for every-one to buy and sell a cheap air weapon once a month until it all collapses!

I was thinking more along the lines of everyone applying the same week for their licence to begin and then adding the above would just blow the system wide open

come over to northern ireland and try out psni firearms dept your gun becomes an antique before you get your cert back

Back