Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do You Remember Your First Fox

Do You Remember Your First Fox

So lads lets reflect do you remember ya first grassed fox?

Here's mine, 1966 I was invited to shoot rats on a sewage farm by a guy who was teaching me to shoot properly while I was doing my first pest control training, on the outskirts of Birmingham, my city of birth, he worked there, in those days there were circular sewage beds and heaps of dump settling as manure, the rats were dug in everywhere, I had an Original 50e I think, an under lever German .22 air rifle with me for the practice at the time. My tutor had a single shot bolt action .22 with open sights loaded with .22 short, the back stops were great these enormous piles of drying crap, we must have shot over 60 rats when I was offered a go with the rimfire, this I longed for as I remember it and we exchanged rifles, we were about 40yds from the targets when from around one of the round sewage beds walked Charlie, there were those revolving sprinklers running all around us so I think these muffled our sound, the guy nudged me and nodded toward the fox I lifted the rifle, lined the iron sights up at the base of Charlie's ear and pop, down he went. I was shaking as we walked the short distance to check him thinking he would jump up and attack us, it was the first fox I'd seen, at the great age of 16, being bought up in Brum city centre. Ah the good times eh.

What about yours?

same for me though early 60s ,i lived on what then walshaw estate west yorks ,and on a fox drive i was given a greener single martini 5 cartridges and told to watch down the gutter -grip and if a fox came down stand still and let it get close before firing ,well two foxes came trotting down the edge of the drain up to me ,i shot the one in front ,and it flipped over a couple of times then started galloping on its side ,and the other dropped dead on the spot ,then one of the keepers popped up out of a peat hag ,walked over and told me he thought i was never going to shoot ,and he got the second one , strange thing i never heard his shot ,the thing i remember most was the lovely still sharp frosty day blue sky and hot sun so its not just the fox its the whole thing , i have been back to the very same spot 50 years later and the ground looks flat ,i could hardly make out the gutter and the peat haggs have gone just very well kept heather

In my teens,we're hurtling round the stubbles in a transit van,after rabbits in the lamp, spots Charlie, unslips the 10 bore, two & a quarter ounces either side buckshot, no more Charlie.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

My first was only a couple of years ago and have only ever shot 2. Was out stalking roe and was coming up to a usual good spot (small walled field surrounded by conifers). It was a gorgeous morning mid summer and even at 6am it was hot. Had a peak over the wall and a movement caught my eye about 40yards down the other side of the wall. The fox had no idea I was there and was facing away, sniffing in the grass. To get a clear picture I had to shoot freehand standing and just before it entered the gorse I gave it a whistle. It only turned its head and with the crosshairs on the neck I pulled the trigger. He dropped instantly without even a kick. My heart was in my mouth!

Funny thing is I still feel sorry for that fox. Under no pressure to shoot them up there so still wonder why I did it. As someone who doesn't shoot many I think getting rid of a fairly large animal rather than using it for something didn't sit right. I know my dad has fed them to people at barbecues but that's another story!

I well remember it.
    We lost several free ranging chickens, dogs regularly came in stinking from the front lawn having rolled in fox tish and the quail all stopped laying and feathers gone form their heads where they were panic flighting up into the top of their run. This was happening regularly over several weeks.
    Let the farm collies round the buildings at all kinds of hour in the night or mornings, it still hung round. Trail cam caught it several points, set up ambush, nothing. Bloke who does most the foxing here round several times, shot a few foxes but not this bugger.
    Eventually I figured out to set myself up with the shotgun in a corner of a barn, with an old hole in the side about 5''x 8''. Set up a light on corner of the next building with a red shade over it. Left this on each night for a week along with a few scraps of donner kebab meat in the very narrow target area. (Twice the fox had got into bin bags for kebab packaging)
    Still had to sit out three nights for the fox to turn up on the spot. !0 tense minutes as it moved back and forth just out aim, then it came in. As I settled the gun it looked towards me and started to turn to skitter off, how it realised I was there I've no idea.
    Gave it both barrels as quick as I could. It flipped out of line of aim and I had to force myself not to run as I reloaded, out the barn, round the corner. As soon as I had a line of sight again I admit I gave it another barrel half expecting it to jump up and run off !
    It was a small, mature dog fox. I was very pleased to have finally got it but also a tad sad. I suppose it was almost the classic example of a cunning and cautious fox. Shame it had to ply it's trade round the buildings.
    (I had a good chuckle the next morning when I told the children I'd got it. We live near Great Missenden, where Roald Dahl is a local feature. My young daughter reckoned I was smarter than Boggis, Bunce or Bean, certainly more cunning than meddlesome Mr Fox !)

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisWill184 View Post
    Funny thing is I still feel sorry for that fox. Under no pressure to shoot them up there so still wonder why I did it. As someone who doesn't shoot many I think getting rid of a fairly large animal rather than using it for something didn't sit right.
    To feel sorry it had to die is natural, but if you have any serious qualms just step back and think about all the baby birds, dormice, voles, frogs, skylarks, hedgehogs and so on that didn't get eaten by the fox.

Was 13, at night with the lamp. Using a 22, totally misjudged the distance!!!! It was getting squeaked in and it stopped. I had an old 4x32 scope with a post, I aimed between it's eye and nailed it in the chest!!!!!!
    My old man went nuts, luckily I killed the fox!!!!!!!!
    Haven't been on that ground for 30years but I bet I could take you to the exact spot.

Rifle: Ruger No.1
    Calibre: 220 Swift
    Scope: Redfield variable 4 12

Distance: 80yards
    Time: Dusk

Still can see the muzzle flash!

My first was snared not shot so I don't suppose that counts first one shot was at sixteen with a shotgun on a fox drive being a youngster I didn't get to stand, shot a big dog fox as he broke back through the line.