Pile of dead animals found.

Most of what was listed are pest animals and we dont know if the deer are roadkill, poorly shot etc. It looks like a monster midden especially if there are snares around it. Things like that are usually pretty far from the beaten track tho so either a careless user not hiding it well enough or a pretty nosey walker could have just stumbled on it. Hope its nothing more than that.

Just sounds like he found a rather overzealous keeper's pile of victims to me? He also found a minefield of set snares?
Species present reads:
deer, rabbits, hares, squirrels, foxes ,stoats and weasels, crows, magpies and jays

Nothing illegal as long as deer are in season. Not the best method of disposal though by any means and a very bad image to portray, but I doubt there are grounds for prosecution.
MS:cry:

Most of what was listed are pest animals and we dont know if the deer are roadkill, poorly shot etc. It looks like a monster midden especially if there are snares around it. Things like that are usually pretty far from the beaten track tho so either a careless user not hiding it well enough or a pretty nosey walker could have just stumbled on it. Hope its nothing more than that.

Thats a pretty likely explanation but still inexcusable if its on a legitimate estate especially in Lowland Hertfordshire. I'm afraid with friends like this who needs enemies. The fact that if was off a footpath and the person who found it was probably being 'nosey' is irrelevant; you have to assume that nowhere in the countryside is private these days.

I couldn't see any reference to Mk4 Fenns? Can other people see more of this article or more photos than I can?

Nothing illegal as long as deer are in season. Not the best method of disposal though by any means and a very bad image to portray, but I doubt there are grounds for prosecution.
MS:cry:

Probably no grounds for prosecution with the initial incident but there might be when the Police knock on the muppets door and find a loaded .22 mag on the kitchen table and a bottle of roundup in the shed? Then they knock on the Underkeepers caravan door and he's not there but his shotgun is. Then the Police ring the FSA /Trading Standards/RSPCA etc because they need advice on the possible animal/food issues and it all kicks off. Probably still ends in 'no further action' but with a lot of grief along the way.

I'm only being the devils advocate here and may be well off the mark but you can see how things can be seen by other's?

Last edited:
Yep, no bears there that I could see. It did look a bit grisly though. I can understand anyone not being able to spell properly. But you know things are bad when you look at the amount of mistakes journalists make these days.

Surely its simply a midden? While not the prettiest sight, I can't imagine any crime has been committed and I'm not sure why we're jumping from this to imaginative suggestions of illegally held pesticides and breaches of firearms regs.

The pheasants, deer etc are likely roadkill. But of a surprise for the nosey dog walker, but I can't see it going anywhere.

Afaik middens are legal, unless anyone can tell me otherwise? Granted they may be unpalatable to some, but I don't see why we should place more onerous obligations on those involved than are actually required by law.

Novice

Surely its simply a midden? While not the prettiest sight, I can't imagine any crime has been committed and I'm not sure why we're jumping from this to imaginative suggestions of illegally held pesticides and breaches of firearms regs.

The pheasants, deer etc are likely roadkill. But of a surprise for the nosey dog walker, but I can't see it going anywhere.

Afaik middens are legal, unless anyone can tell me otherwise? Granted they may be unpalatable to some, but I don't see why we should place more onerous obligations on those involved than are actually required by law.

Novice

Yes, thats all fair enough but let me give you an example. I used to do guided walks all through the summer with 50+ people on them, give talks to numerous groups, run badger watches, guest lecture at colleges, train work experience students, attend country fairs and schools days etc and none of these things ever get more than the briefest mention in a local paper.

One thing like this is all over the local paper and on Facebook etc. See the point I'm making? The shooting industry is it's own worst enemy.

It would be interesting to know if the bird watcher was trespassing or on a footpath. If the latter, although probably not illegal, it really doesn't help portray shooting in a good light to be as indiscreet as this. If the finder was trespassing then it's just unfortunate.

I'd say the modern media is shootings worst enemy, why make anything of the good work when they can sensationalise a non story like this..

In l seriousness, I appreciate your frustrations glyn, especially given the good work you've done in the past. Unfortunately I believe the media have done a great deal in the past 20 years to jump on any negative shooting story. I believe the tide has changed slightly, but there's a long way to go.

Now wouldn't it be nice if the police came back and confirmed that the only crime committed was aggravated trespass...

Novice

Probably no grounds for prosecution with the initial incident but there might be when the Police knock on the muppets door and find a loaded .22 mag on the kitchen table and a bottle of roundup in the shed? Then they knock on the Underkeepers caravan door and he's not there but his shotgun is. Then the Police ring the FSA /Trading Standards/RSPCA etc because they need advice on the possible animal/food issues and it all kicks off. Probably still ends in 'no further action' but with a lot of grief along the way.

I'm only being the devils advocate here and may be well off the mark but you can see how things can be seen by other's?

Am I being thick here ? What's roundup got to do with the law ? You can buy it in B&Q (I think ?)

Thats a pretty likely explanation but still inexcusable if its on a legitimate estate especially in Lowland Hertfordshire. I'm afraid with friends like this who needs enemies. The fact that if was off a footpath and the person who found it was probably being 'nosey' is irrelevant; you have to assume that nowhere in the countryside is private these days.

I couldn't see any reference to Mk4 Fenns? Can other people see more of this article or more photos than I can?
Hi Glyn 1 click on photo then you will see three photo's.
Jim

I'd say the modern media is shootings worst enemy, why make anything of the good work when they can sensationalise a non story like this..

In l seriousness, I appreciate your frustrations glyn, especially given the good work you've done in the past. Unfortunately I believe the media have done a great deal in the past 20 years to jump on any negative shooting story. I believe the tide has changed slightly, but there's a long way to go.

Now wouldn't it be nice if the police came back and confirmed that the only crime committed was aggravated trespass...

Novice

Ur spot on taboids want to make anything into a story. As long as a reasonably distence from pathway he's done nothing wrong.
The big problem is folk are so scared of killing things yet are happy for there dogs to free range throu long grass at this time of year when birds are nesting causing untold damage.

To be fair with roundup pesticides etc loads of rules ur meant to abide by to do with storage, use by dates etc sometimes polis will charge keepers with pesticide offences when its really quite random minor stuff

Am I being thick here ? What's roundup got to do with the law ? You can buy it in B&Q (I think ?)

As Countryboy says, the misuse and incorrect storage of pesticides and firearms are classic offence that 'keepers are charged with when they come to Police attention for other matters. Very often the original enquiry goes nowhere but it's the add on offences that result in prosecution. You are correct that you can buy roundup in B&Q and as a private invidual you can do what you like with it, keep it in your fridge if you want, but as an employee you must store and use it correctly and your employer and supervisor must ensure that you do (and have been trained to do so).

Like I said, I am only playing devils advocate and trying to help people to understand the possible consequences of bringing yourself, your estate/employer and the shooting industry in general into the public eye in a negative way.

It seems that most people don't give a toss and would rather criticise the walker for finding the pile of dead stuff than the person that put it there; fair enough, I am big enough to admit that my views and opinions on this matter aren't shared by others. Each to their own.

But wot option do keepers have then? Should all middens be banned? If its off footpath and fairly well hidden wot more can he do?
If its in full view or fairly near path then it has been badly sited

For me the problem lies in lack of education on both the reporter and birdwatcher. It's not that long ago that the 'gilet' was widely seen, posibly stopping sing them to try not to offend people was the wrong thing, some people will be offended wot ever we do and some are only happy when being offended

Back