First buck of the season

Met up with Bandit Country on one of my permissions 5 mins up the road last night. Decided to have a walk round some boundry hedges where I have spotted a couple of does through the winter, stalked the boundry, slots all along the headlands but no deer spotted.

Made our way through a spinney with a small stream running through it, signs of a buck marking on a few sapplings and looked fresh. Great job a buck in residence, but he didn't make an apperance. Crossed the stream to glass some rape fields. Nothing showing, but the BC spotted charlie making his way down the headland back towards the spinney. Rifle up and started to squeak but he was not interested and disapeared into the spinney. Looks like a trip round with the lamp next week.

I then decided we should to go back to wood which is close to the main house, we drove to the gateway, on the way we have to drive past the end of the wood and I spotted a doe on the edge, we split up and BC made his way over to a field on the far side of the wood which over looks the backside of the wood. I made my way to a high seat which is in the middle of the wood where we spotted a family group ( mum, daughter and son ) during the winter

By this time is was 8 o'clock and not that much light left, the wood was cleared out 3 years ago, it was all planted in rows consisting of oak and conifer, they have cleared all the conifer out and have left the oak. all the brash has been left in the rows so stalking it is a nightmare:evil:.

As soon as I got up the highseat I spotted a shape 200m up the ride, bins up it was the doe we spotted from the road, she was making her way slowly down the ride browsing as she went. Then she was joined by a buck, they both started to come towards my position, the light was now fading and keeping them both in sight was a job.

It's amazing how they just seam to blend in to any surounding they are in, they then made there way accross to the next ride behind some briers and I lost them for a split second, S**t they completley vanished. After some frantic scanning I spotted some movment and the doe was now on the next ride over, where was the buck?

Yet again after some searching he appeared from behind some briers by this point the doe was making her way down the ride which finished 50m away just off my centre to the right, then the buck caught her up to follow her 5 m behind, rifle was up at this point and was fallowing him in the scope and then the moment came as he paused long enough to send the 100gr core loc to the boiler room( a little low ). Thud came back as the reaction to the shot looked good, he ran 10m and paused,. By this time another round was in the chamber but wasn't needed, he just fell over and kicked a couple of times. The doe just hung around until I made safe the rifle and got down. Went over to the buck, tested for reaction with the sticks, nothing. Made rifle safe again. Result,first buck of the season and the one we had planned on taking out from this wood.

Jon148.jpg

Jon149.jpg

Weighed in at 38lbs ( head and feet off )

Jonathon

Last edited:
Well done young Jonathon, that put a smile on your face :):). Hope you and the family are all well. Let me know if you want to come down this way ;) give me a bell.

Sikamalc

Well done mate! :D

Job's a good 'un...

Does that compensate for your little game of 'who blinks first' the other day??;)

Well done Jonathon, good write up and to get the one you were after is always a result.

Hope all is well.

TJ

Well done mate! :D

Job's a good 'un...

Does that compensate for your little game of 'who blinks first' the other day??;)

Merlin

It was on a different patch to the other week but you know where this one was taken very well as you have beaten the wood a few times;), just below the house with the pen in it.

Hopefully if you are down on work duties I'm sure we can get out!

Sikamalc
Cheers mate, family all ok, have another stalker in the making the oldest is dead keen on anything deer related. Skinning thr hrad out this afternoon and he was as ever by my side. not bad as he is only 4!!
just let me know and I will get a pass out to play;)

Jonathon

Last edited:
Nice write up, sounds like you had a good evening.

Did the old man (BC) manage to keep up with you;)

Brian

Back