Where have all the stags gone????

LW_Norfolk

A little bit of background info. I currently have permission to shoot a smallish (1200acres) estate in Norfolk, this is bordered by a large estate. We have a very large prolific Red deer population that transits through the estate.

I was out the other evening watching the reds walk along my boundary, I counted a total of 83 head, this was an awesome sight to see so many animals together. As I was watching I began to realise that there was a distinct lack of mature premium stags, out of the 83 that I counted there was 6 males, a mixture of prickling and 6-8 pointers, nothing that I would consider to be a "premium" animal.

I have a suspicion that I know what the answer is to this question, but is it normal to have this many females gathered together without any "premium" stag company at this time of year. I know from this time last year and what I have seen throughout the winter that the big stags were out there. Or have the premium animals been removed from the equation?

I take it that you are aware that the larger stags will have cast their antlers about now? Still pretty distinctive though. It is normal for herds to separate into mainly male and mainly female through the summer. Feeding will still be having an effect at this time of year too. I know what you mean about it being an awsome sight, I still find it exciting to see such large wild animals roaming our crowded little island. JC

i know what you mean im in norfolk too and mine have buggered off too ! ive not seen any stags since a month after the rut , but the hinds have been very active during the winter , biggers herd ive seen is 70 all hinds and calfs .

mine were last seen 3 weeks ago and ive not clapped eyes on them since !

cheers lee

I take it that you are aware that the larger stags will have cast their antlers about now?
Yes there were two stags that had shed their antlers. Having a talk with the keeper from the neighboring estate this afternoon, he was very cagy when asked about the missing large stags. Something is very amiss here.

Would this 'large estate' be just to the immediate east of Thetford whose herd is sometimes seen grazing in the fields imediately south of the A11?

Last edited:
Would this 'large estate' be just to the immediate east of Thetford whose herd is sometimes seen grazing in the fields imediately south of the A11?

my guess the large estate in question is either ! elverdon or shadwell !? there the only really big estayes i can think of !

Loving the monkey buck, there are some absolutly smashing bucks out there for the taking. Used to drive through the forest every night about 3am, and the amount of awesome bucks in there was unbelievable, could have popped off 3-4 massive gold medal heads every night... Shame drive by monkey shooting is off the cards.

Back