Blaser R8 Options & Barrel Specification

gurus5000

Hi Guys,

I have been looking at a R8 Professional in 308 and just wondered what options people have asked for & the barrel to pick. It will mainly be used for stalking and maybe a little bit target. Someone had recommended I went for the short barrel on it rather than the 23" as standard? What do people think? Also the profile you can get 17mm or 19mm.

I am stuck whether to take the plunge with the Blaser or get another Sako 85 in 308 as I have one in 6.5x55.

Thanks in advance

Not that i can comment on buying an R8 but have had an 'interesting' experience from Blaser while ordering an R93. Its still ongoing, so i wouldn't want to air the problem on here at the mo, but would be happy to tell you some of the pitfalls i've had via PM.

Hi Guys,

I have been looking at a R8 Professional in 308 and just wondered what options people have asked for & the barrel to pick. It will mainly be used for stalking and maybe a little bit target. Someone had recommended I went for the short barrel on it rather than the 23" as standard? What do people think? Also the profile you can get 17mm or 19mm.

I am stuck whether to take the plunge with the Blaser or get another Sako 85 in 308 as I have one in 6.5x55.

Thanks in advance

Have you tried the Blaser? If not I'd suggest going somewhere to try one out first, as not everyone necessarily gets on with them.

I don't have an R8, but my R93 has the standard profile barrel and neither the deer nor the boar have had reason to question its efficacy!

I have an R8 pro success in 270. The standard barrel length will still give you a shorter overall rifle than a short barrel in a turn bolt. The standard barrel has proven to be very accurate and generates full 270 velocities which was my red line.

FWIW I also had an interesting purchasing experience with Blaser. Nothing went wrong, the rifle turned up on time and as ordered. It worked right out of the box with all ammunition tried so far...just lucky I guess.

Atb

Thanks for the replies I am trying one next week hopefully so I can see what I think then.

Thanks

My r8 with a standard 23in barrel is an inch shorter then my varberger with a 18in barrel not that im saying dont go for a tracker/ short barrel as thats what im going for next in 308

I have two match barrels in 308, both standard length which is 60cm I think. Both screw cut 18x1. Only one barrel has seen any use and it has been used on both the hill and the range. The match barrel is not light but then you wont need a moderator on the hill as it is very easy to shoot. The extra weight negates the low recoil. They shoot Privi HPBT 168grains and Barnes TTSX in 150 and 168 grain very well.

I spoke with Andrew at WMS Training and he said that the short barrel is very good so I think I will go for that one in 308 as its always handy having a shorter rifle.

Cheers for the replies.

Hi I've got the R8 pro success in 308 with a semi weight fluted short barrel it's got a wildcat type mod on it is very well balanced and shoots my 130gr hornady reloads very well. Overall length is the same as my 17" barrelled 243 sako 75 with a T8 mod !

Ive had just about every rifle possible. Now have the r8 success and its the mutts nuts. Use the standard barrel with no mod. Just shoulders perfect.

No R8 but I use two R93's Pro's in .223 (for fox) and a .270.
The .223 has a full length 22mm Match barrel and the .270 has a fluted 17mm standard barrel. Both have Aetec maxim mods, the .270 has two additional baffles.
I love both. Yes the .270 has recoil but its not an issue.
The match barrelled .223 is heavy but recoil is almost non existent to a point where its like shooting a PCP air rifle !
I have considered upping the .270 to either the .270 WSM or a 300WM in a 19mm Semi barrel or the 22mm Match but weight is a major consideration as most of my stalking is hill work in Argyll and Ayrshire.
I've also looked at the 7mm Rem Mag but Blaser dont do the caliber in Semi or Match which I would prefer. They do however do the 7mm Blaser Mag in a Semi barrel but I dont want to be tied into Blaser ammo which is expensive and maybe has a limited future ?
After all this consideration, the .270 keeps producing the goods and ammunition choice is plentyfull so I'm thinking...... Why Change ?

Has a footnote, I have successfully used the LSR2 in 300WM which was an experiance but I didn't have to carry it on the hill and wouldn't really want to !

Last edited:
Blaser six shots.JPG
six shots from my R8 in .308 the three at the top were me holding either side and smack in centre, then the three in the bull were after holding slightly low to compensate the target being blocked out by my reticle( s+b 3-12 x 50 A4 in FFP,)
very happy with gun just wish i could shoot like this all the time!!

R8 Pro Success in 270 standard. Very good. Might look at 223 as well. The synthetic thumbhole stock is excellent.

Back