.222 and the lee loader

Home Loader

Hello all
I have a cz 527 in 222 rem what a lovely little tool. I have had great results with factory ammo, but my home loads using using rcbs scales and dies have left a bit to be desired, a little while back I bought a Lee Loader. So I followed the instructions and set it up and just flung together some Norma brass cci primers a scoop full of n133 and a 50 grain hornady sp, just banged the bullet in until it fitted the magazine and fed nicely. I wandered down the range and promptly shot a ragged one hole group. And I have no idea how long it is or to the last 10th of a grain how much powder I used.
It has just proved to me that I dont need to spend hundreds on kit just need to find one in .260 and .308.

I just bought my brother a .38 spl Lee loader recently and it worked a treat. Really impressive little kits!

I can't speak of the Lee Loader, but I've done a lot of load development for the .222
Some of the groups I've managed have been truly outstanding. . . The .222 is so forgiving that if you filled the case up with custard powder it would probably shoot under an inch.

Great wee underrated cartridge.

Its a fantastic round I just wish we could use it on Roe down here! Until the lee loader I had got around the inch but couldn't better it I had thought I could measure the weight and lenght, but why bother as it works.

preaching to the converted here
have produced ridiculous ammo from the "whack it" technology in .222, .243, .270 and .308
borrowed 22hornet kit and did some for that which is yet to be shot but expect it to be similar

Hello all
I have a cz 527 in 222 rem what a lovely little tool. I have had great results with factory ammo, but my home loads using using rcbs scales and dies have left a bit to be desired, a little while back I bought a Lee Loader. So I followed the instructions and set it up and just flung together some Norma brass cci primers a scoop full of n133 and a 50 grain hornady sp, just banged the bullet in until it fitted the magazine and fed nicely. I wandered down the range and promptly shot a ragged one hole group. And I have no idea how long it is or to the last 10th of a grain how much powder I used.
It has just proved to me that I dont need to spend hundreds on kit just need to find one in .260 and .308.

I gave a Lee Loader and a Remington 700 Classic .222 to a preacher buddy of mine. Five shots you could cover with an aspirin tablet from the start.

Your load has proven two things: Powder weighed to a tenth of a grain is not usually necessary, and seating X-thou off the lands isn't needed either. If you adjusted the seater and locked the ring then your OAL is set. The dippers can be very accurate with consistent technique. Keep at it and have fun.~Muir

Ditto, I put a single shot .222 R together in 1992 and after a brief play with loads it shot sub 1/2" groups at 100yds. I've never changed the load and only once used a different bullet. It shot the same with both. 21.5gns 2207, CCI Magnum Small Rifle Primer, Sierra 53gn BTMH and 50gn Nosler Ballistic Tips. It is now a .223 Rimmed and has had 1 barrel crop and a rechamber to freshen the throat. It is still pinpoint accurate. Same load, same primer, same bullet just a fraction less pressure.
"When you are onto a good thing, stick to it".

Last edited:
Back