Steyr Scout users

Monkey Spanker

What scopes are you using?
I'm not sure I get the forward mounted long eye relief concept.
I'm thinking small and compact, probably illuminated for low light woodland use.
Any ideas, preferably based on experience welcomed!
MS

I had a tactical elite, if I remember rightly I had a Swarovski 3-12x50 on it, can't remember what rings I was using. I think I just had the scope as far back as possible towards the objective end. Having a lower mag scope would no doubt help with less eye relief. What scope do you have on there at the minute?

If you fancy really embracing the Scout principle I have a Leupold VX-III 1-4x20 on my dart rifle which I'm not using at the moment. You are welcome to borrow it to have a play. It isn't a long relief so would need to be mounted on the receiver as normal. It's 1"tube.

I had a tactical elite, if I remember rightly I had a Swarovski 3-12x50 on it, can't remember what rings I was using. I think I just had the scope as far back as possible towards the objective end. Having a lower mag scope would no doubt help with less eye relief. What scope do you have on there at the minute?
Haven't even got the rifle yet!(arrives Tuesday) Been looking at some of the options though. There's a Leupold 2.5 x 28 Intermediate eye relief scope that gets great reviews, but I just can't imagine shooting with such a low mag?? I'm used to Z6i's on my other rifles and don't really know which route to take. It's such a compact light rifle that I'm drawn to a smaller scope, possibly fixed mag. I'm tempted by the Swaro 8x50 Kurz for sale on here at the moment, but I'd rather have an illuminated variant. I'll be using it mainly in woodlands at very low light.
MS:confused:

Last edited:
Haven't even got the rifle yet!(arrives Tuesday) Been looking at some of the options though. There's a Leupold 2.5 x 28 Intermediate eye relief scope that gets great reviews, but I just can't imagine shooting with such a low mag?? I'm used to Z6i's on my other rifles and don't really know which route to take. It's such a compact light rifle that I'm drawn to a smaller scope, possibly fixed mag. I'm tempted by the Swaro 8x50 Kurz for sale on here at the moment, but I'd rather have an illuminated variant. I'll be using it mainly in woodlands at very low light.
MS:confused:

That 8x50 Kurtz looks good and the price is quite good. The thick No4 reticle would make up quite a bit for the lack of illumination. I had a 3-12x50 Kurtz with a No4 on my. 308 for years.

The other obvious option is go back to basics with a 6x42? I have a Swarovski 6x42 on my .22 that you are also welcome to borrow as I never really use it other than for RTC's.

Last edited:
That 8x50 Kurtz looks good and the price is quite good. The thick No4 reticle would make up quite a bit for the lack of illumination. I had a 3-12x50 Kurtz with a No4 on my. 308 for years.

The other obvious option is go back to basics with a 6x42? I have a Swarovski 6x42 on my .22 that you are also welcome to borrow as I never really use it other than for RTC's.
You've hit on the ultimate dilemma there mate! Thick non illuminated reticle versus thin illuminated! As you know I'm a bit of an accuracy fanatic and I can't be doing with a thick reticle that obscures the target for load development zeroing and on the range. I quite simply have to have a fine reticle! That in turn means that the only practical option is illuminated so I can see it in poor light.
Your offers of loans of expensive equipment are truly quite humbling and speak volumes as to you as a person! Speak soon.
MS:thumb:

Before we had illuminated reticles I always used to have at least two completely different deer rifle set ups; a .243 with a fine, high mag leupold on it for park work and a bigger calibre or two with thick reticle Swarovskis for wild stuff. I used to put a spare 20x leupold onto the wild deer rifles for load development. All a bit of a pain in the bum, a 3-18x50 Z6i does it all now.

Never worried about lending people kit and the better it is the harder it is to break. I have never damaged a scope yet including when dropping a rifle out of a highseat and having it stick in the ground like the arrows on the strongbow advert!!

I've got a couple of Z6i's including a 3-18 x 50, but it would be too much to be in keeping with the scout principle. I hate parallax adjustment too as I always forget to do it! It rarely moves from100m!
I think fixed power fine reticle illuminated is the way forward. Probably no bigger than 50mm objective.
MS

I had a Kurz on my Tactical elite and it was a good scope with that rifle. If your used to Z6i I would go for the 2.5-15x44, saving a bit in weight and not hampering yourself with fixed mag. If your putting a mod on the rifle which one you going for, presuming it's gonna be light weight!

I had a Kurz on my Tactical elite and it was a good scope with that rifle. If your used to Z6i I would go for the 2.5-15x44, saving a bit in weight and not hampering yourself with fixed mag. If your putting a mod on the rifle which one you going for, presuming it's gonna be light weight!
Yes indeed! It is coming with a Roedale precision which tips the scales at about a mere 200g! I think anything heavier would probably bend the barrel as it looks fairly flimsy!:lol:
MS

My .308 is ever so light with the Roedale on. I've run Swaro 8x56 Habicht, Bushnell Tactical Elite 6-24x50 and Pulsar N750 on mine.
I'd go for a fixed Swaro I think- definitely embraces the scout principal.

Bushnell on .243
dad33e4b38e828015f81f4014a555ecf_zpss2fzcyr5.jpg

Swaro on .308
29f6ffc4dff029f0b8b8c71f88b43b32_zpslem0gwih.jpg

What scopes are you using?
I'm not sure I get the forward mounted long eye relief concept.
I'm thinking small and compact, probably illuminated for low light woodland use.
Any ideas, preferably based on experience welcomed!
MS

I have a Steyr Scout .308W which is set up specifically for dense woodland deer hunting, with an Aimpoint 'Hunter S34' red dot sight.
Why not a traditional scope? Because I found virtually all my shots are at 40-60 yards, and I like the concept of 'both eyes open' shooting, as with a shotgun, for much increased field of view and peripheral awareness. Due to my working hours I also find myself hunting a lot midday rather than early AM or late PM, so a x1 magnification and 'light gathering' qualities some attribute to scopes ;) are not relevant for me.
A good quality red dot sight will be 1 or 2 MOA at 100 yards so the red dot covers only a very small proportion of the kill zone, therefore at my typical culling distance it is more than adequate. Also, in a dense woodland scenario, I shoot unsupported (no sticks or bipod) but I do use a Ching Sling for additional stability.
There are disadvantages to a red dot sight:
1. Long distance shots are tricky as the magnification is x1, and sometimes you have to let one go rather than place a bad shot.
2. At low light conditions you have 10-15 min less available daylight than when you use a more traditional scope, so maybe not ideal for typical UK lowland woodland high-seat deer hunting.

The 'Scout scopes' are a good compromise between a red dot sight and a more typical traditional scope, so to make the most of the Steyr Scout (short, light, pointable all-round rifle) I would stick to a Scout scope, quite far forward mounted, as intended when designed. the Leopold VX.R 1.5-5 x 33 FireDot would be my choice.

Last edited:
The more I look at this, the more I become strangely drawn to the Intermediate or extended eye relief concept!:eek:
My main concern though is the low light capability of such scopes and the lower mag at extended ranges.
Anyone use these?
Nikon do a 2.5-8 x 28 which is probably high enough mag but what would it be like at low light? Is there another illuminated variant?
MS

I have a Steyr Scout .308W which is set up specifically for dense woodland deer hunting, with an Aimpoint 'Hunter S34' red dot sight.
Why not a traditional scope? Because I found virtually all my shots are at 40-60 yards, and I like the concept of 'both eyes open' shooting, as with a shotgun, for much increased field of view and peripheral awareness. Due to my working hours I also find myself hunting a lot midday rather than early AM or late PM, so a x1 magnification and 'light gathering' qualities some attribute to scopes ;) are not relevant for me.
A good quality red dot sight will be 1 or 2 MOA at 100 yards so the red dot covers only a very small proportion of the kill zone, therefore at my typical culling distance it is more than adequate. Also, in a dense woodland scenario, I shoot unsupported (no sticks or bipod) but I do use a Ching Sling for additional stability.
There are disadvantages to a red dot sight:
1. Long distance shots are tricky as the magnification is x1, and sometimes you have to let one go rather than place a bad shot.
2. At low light conditions you have 10-15 min less available daylight than when you use a more traditional scope, so maybe not ideal for typical UK lowland woodland high-seat deer hunting.

The 'Scout scopes' are a good compromise between a red dot sight and a more typical traditional scope, so to make the most of the Steyr Scout (short, light, pointable all-round rifle) I would stick to a Scout scope, quite far forward mounted, as intended when designed. the Leopold VX.R 1.5-5 x 33 FireDot would be my choice.

I think you just answered my last post as I was still typing it!:lol:
I like the Firedot!!!:thumb:
Cheers,
MS

I'm considering open mounts too so that I can use them! They'd be great for close range humane dispatch or the annoying muntjac that walk right under your seat that you can't see properly through a conventional scope!
MS

That has to be 'suggestive advertising' at its finest!
The Minox you have for sale already mounted on my actual rifle!:rofl:
I might have those rings though!:D
MS

That has to be 'suggestive advertising' at its finest!
The Minox you have for sale already mounted on my actual rifle!:rofl:
I might have those rings though!:D
MS

Yes indeed, sits on that as sweet as...I might have to buy a scout now to fit that scope in the true sense of it being a Scout like Jeff Cooper said. :D

The rings won't cater for a bigger objective... ;)

Back