Tendure price

purplepig

Hi chaps just wondering what people would pay as a yearly tendure fee for a 180 acre wood? -small population of fallow and roe and muntjack having been heavily controlled. I know its a bit hyperthetical but am intrested to see what people would think was reasonable. I would think you'd shoot 10 a year. It's in shropshire

Last edited:
If it where me nothing!,,,,till i knew exactly or as much as possible whats using the wood species ,numbers if any at all,if its safe ,dog walkers ramblers etc footpaths roads,see if you can try it for a season and share 50/50 with landowner /farmer,,,,,but thats me ,,,good luck atb doug,

If it where me nothing!,,,,till i knew exactly or as much as possible whats using the wood species ,numbers if any at all,if its safe ,dog walkers ramblers etc footpaths roads,see if you can try it for a season and share 50/50 with landowner /farmer,,,,,but thats me ,,,good luck atb doug,

Daft answer that ain't it, how much deer shooting do you have again? And how many deer have you shot?

Hi chaps just wondering what people would pay as a yearly tendure fee for a 180 acre wood? -small population of fallow and roe and muntjack having been heavily controlled. I know its a bit hyperthetical but am intrested to see what people would think was reasonable. I would think you'd shoot 10 a year. It's in shropshire
What ever you would be comfortable with!! as said do you have any more?? I would of thought £3-500 would be cheap if there was the chance of fallow. Always a bit of a gamble new land just try not get in a bidding war over it!

Why is it a daft answer he hasnt said that theres defo deer on there,so no one can say,and i havnt shot any deer at all as you well know or you wouldnt be jumping on my answers ,and yes i do have land and deer shooting not that its any concern of yours,!but obviously it is, i appologise purplepig for my reply and dragging a troll along,

Last edited:
from my experience the price seems to reflect on the venison value.
From your figures I would guess about £800.

Seems a bit steep for 180 acres?

i know of a 30 acre wood with red, roe and muntjac (the red are not resident they just pass through) stalking and game shooting that just gone for £6000 !!!!

Yes you did read it right thats £6000

So i would have said £900 was cheap

So

Over here that would go for a fortune! Is the lease only for stalking, or does it include the rest of the sporting rights?

i know of a 30 acre wood with red, roe and muntjac (the red are not resident they just pass through) stalking and game shooting that just gone for £6000 !!!!

Yes you did read it right thats £6000

So i would have said £900 was cheap

So

Wow, bargain at £900 then!

That would only mean culling 8-10 fallow to cover the cost.. It depends if you want to make money or just have somewhere to stalk when you have time. I would guesstimate how many deer you think you could could cull there and work it out from that.
Seems a bit steep for 180 acres?

Morning

i have free stalking and I have paid stalking if your paying for stalking then please factor in the ENJOYMENT you'll get from going to a parcel of ground YOU have the right to stalk on .
i guess if your going to see some deer ,stalk some deer ,and hopefully put a deer or two in the larder then I guess £300 - £500 a year wouldn't be out the way but in one SD members defence I'd want a walk around before hand am and pm before breaking out any ready cash as I can go to the local pocket park and see some wildlife and enjoy it .
being able to get up on a Sunday morning and decide if the weathers good to go or not and there's not a guide waiting for you to take you is worth a lot to some and for others it's a just normal ,
please factor in the enjoyment and liberation it gives as well as the amount of ££ it will cost you to break even .
ive NEVER broken Even going out with a guide but I've had an awful lot of ENJOYMENT stalking with good guides and on my own on ground I'm permitted to stalk .money spoils things but it makes the world go round for me ENJOYMENT IS KEY and sometimes you can't put a figure on that or at least I don't want to .
good luck hope you get the ground and enjoy it .
norma

Last edited:
One thing to also consider is how many footpaths, if any, go through the land. If there's a lot you may find your ability to stalk - and your enjoyment - compromised.

Some other things you might want to think about that may affect its attractiveness:

• How far it is to travel - if it's 2 hours to get there you may find the initial excitement slowly ebbs away
  • How many access points and where are they (think about different wind directions)?
  • Is someone currently controlling the deer - if so who, how much are they paying, and why are they stopping?)
  • Any sort of shelter for storing kit and/or carcases?
  • How many deer have been shot there in the past (you say they've been heavily controlled - how heavily?)
  • How enclosed is the wood (fencing, roads, waterways, etc)?
  • What is the adjoining land used for - arable, livestock, etc?
  • How heavily controlled are the deer on neighbouring farms/estates?
  • Is the wood used for pheasants? If so, how does this compromise access?
  • If there's a game shoot, how many days do they shoot per season and what's the relationship with the keeper like?
  • Is there any covenant or control over the condition of the stalking rights?
  • Can you stay there overnight if necessary (late evening/early morning stalks)?
  • What access paths/tracks are there and can you use them - carrying a big old fallow out from the far end of 180 acres may detract from your enjoyment!)

being able to get up on a Sunday morning and decide if the weathers good to go or not and there's not a guide waiting for you to take you is worth a lot to some and for others it's a just normal ,
please factor in the enjoyment and liberation it gives as well as the amount of ££ it will cost you to break even .
ive NEVER broken Even going out with a guide but I've had an awful lot of ENJOYMENT stalking with good guides and on my own on ground I'm permitted to stalk .money spoils things but it makes the world go round for me ENJOYMENT IS KEY and sometimes you can't put a figure on that or at least I don't want to .
good luck hope you get the ground and enjoy it .
norma

Best advice I have read on here in a while :thumb:. Freedom has 'free' in it, but it does cost. Good luck securing the lease.

Agree with Norma 308
Its about enjoyment. I paid 180 for a day of fallow hinds with a guide. There was no guarantee of success but I would have enjoyed it either way. A few trips like that and the pounds add up.
Perhaps have a walk around to see whats on the ground before making a tender. You could always re-negotiate for the following year if it doesnt live up to expectations. Just my thoughts.

a 180 acre plot of wood is always going to attract and hold deer if they are in the area as for what its worth, its worth what ever somone is willing to pay for it and somone is always willing to pay more than you, if it was reasonalbly close to me i would be looking at no more than £600-750 but would start by offering £500 especialy as you dont know the ground and maybe ask the owner to concider a 3 or 5 year lease in the second year if the 1st went well and state that you keep the carcase's from the word go. if it has as you say roe fallow and muntjac on it theres a lot to be had and every man and there dog will be after it and i dont know what your relationship is with the land owner but if you do get the land i wouldnt be shy to push the odd joint of venison his/her way or even better get a deer turnt into sausages and make the venison go further giving them a dozen sausages from the freezer every now and then and a bottle of somthing at christmas this ontop of you doing a good and humane job on the deer control will put you in favour with them and if they like you they are more likley to turn away anyone who comes knocking on the door offering more money than you as trust will always beat money with land owners in my experience. Its ok for all the lucky ones who dont pay for there stalking myself included to turn around and say "i wouldnt give anything for it" but if you have nothing or very little somtimes you have to bit the bullet to get yourself started and then when you have a peice it can then lead to others which may even come for free

Last edited:
One thing to also consider is how many footpaths, if any, go through the land. If there's a lot you may find your ability to stalk - and your enjoyment - compromised.

Some other things you might want to think about that may affect its attractiveness:

• How far it is to travel - if it's 2 hours to get there you may find the initial excitement slowly ebbs away
  • How many access points and where are they (think about different wind directions)?
  • Is someone currently controlling the deer - if so who, how much are they paying, and why are they stopping?)
  • Any sort of shelter for storing kit and/or carcases?
  • How many deer have been shot there in the past (you say they've been heavily controlled - how heavily?)
  • How enclosed is the wood (fencing, roads, waterways, etc)?
  • What is the adjoining land used for - arable, livestock, etc?
  • How heavily controlled are the deer on neighbouring farms/estates?
  • Is the wood used for pheasants? If so, how does this compromise access?
  • If there's a game shoot, how many days do they shoot per season and what's the relationship with the keeper like?
  • Is there any covenant or control over the condition of the stalking rights?
  • Can you stay there overnight if necessary (late evening/early morning stalks)?
  • What access paths/tracks are there and can you use them - carrying a big old fallow out from the far end of 180 acres may detract from your enjoyment!)

Willie you forgot to ask if there.s a '' kitchen sink Available'' :lol:

The other thing no matter how many deer are in the wood, is their suitable spaces/open areas/rides to cull them in the wood?

It could be choc full off deer but no real areas to cull them and the people who shoot the surrounding fields effectively manage them.

Plenty off good advice offered above. Like anything only worth wot UR willing to pay and can afford.

Back