7mm rem mag, roe and red

Kernow_Stalker

Hi all

Looking at getting a 7mm rem mag for the above 2 species, just wanted people's experience who have actually shot either of these with the above calibre?

planning on using 150ish grain bullets at the lower end of 7mm velocitys.

Also so what's the recoil like with a decent moddy compared to something like a .270?

Cheers

Bought a 7RM for similar reasons. Only had it for a few months and shot a couple of roe with it. Started off with Sierra 150gr gamekings, way to destructive to chest shoot roe. Doesn't help that my rifle is most accurate on near max load. I have some 160gr nosler accubond on order which I hope will do the trick for both species.

Recoil is very tolerable, I don't honestly see what all the fuss is about.

Good to know with the recoil carper

i guess it is rather fast with 150gr would be interested to hear how you get on with the 160's. Have you any photos of the meat damage from 150 at all?

Had one a few years back. Used it for a year and shot 30 or 40 deer with it, mix of Roe Red and Sika.

I found the recoil a bit too much. It affected my accuracy. I know I was shooting .5 MOA on a bench but it went well outside 1" in the field with the odd flyer.

I used accubonds to try to reduce carcass damage, both 140 and 160. However, carcass damage was significant, even on Red. I even had the Stalker on the estate I go back to every year for the Reds ask me very nicely to bring something else with me the following year.

You really don't need anything as powerful as a 7mmRM for stalking any species of deer in the UK at normal stalking ranges.

I used 140grn Sierra flat base bullets at the lower end load, shot loads of red and roe damage to roe was no different than the 243 with 90 grn bullets, got some dies and cases to sell if you are interested

Unfortunately no, took out an exit hole maybe 8" sucking out the lungs, liver and rumen (which miraculously stayed intact!) Bit of damage to the back strap as well. I have taken to neck shooting now until I get a new load cooked up. The gameking is a relatively thin jacketed bullet designed to expand rapidly. I think a solidly constructed bullet is going to be a must for this calibre, especially if you take many sub 100yd shots.

Hi all

Looking at getting a 7mm rem mag for the above 2 species, just wanted people's experience who have actually shot either of these with the above calibre?

planning on using 150ish grain bullets at the lower end of 7mm velocitys.

Also so what's the recoil like with a decent moddy compared to something like a .270?

Cheers

I had one for a bit. It didn't kill things better than the 7x57 it replaced but all the deer shot with it where within 150 metres. As I'm probably 11 stone soaking wet you'll appreciate recoil was a problem. As most Cornish folk are a bit bigger than me I hope it works well for you

I cant speak from much experience, but think that you'll need to go for 175gr bullets to keep the velocity at reasonable levels, or look at sturdy premium bullets (of which the copper variety are meant to cause minimal meat damage, even at very high velocity). There are a few folk on here who seem to have no problems with the 300 win mag which is similar(ish) to the 7mm.

Nigel, point dusky noted however as daft as it sounds it's the calibre that ticked the majority of my boxes. I realistically have red ranging from 100 (about as close as I can get) to 300+ should my shooting be up to it.

carper, that really is some serious damage! I was thinking of going partitions.

Awmc, yes I'm about half your weight again so have some extra cushioning for the recoil lol how did you find the meat damage compared to the 57?

I use Barnes in mine, either TSX or TTSX 140gr as for damage I think you'll be surprised at just how little there is and the recoil isn't an issue either.......give them a try, they aren't cheap but well worth the money!

Nigel, point dusky noted however as daft as it sounds it's the calibre that ticked the majority of my boxes. I realistically have red ranging from 100 (about as close as I can get) to 300+ should my shooting be up to it.

carper, that really is some serious damage! I was thinking of going partitions.

Awmc, yes I'm about half your weight again so have some extra cushioning for the recoil lol how did you find the meat damage compared to the 57?

Then you'd probably be a "proper" size
Can't say there was any more or less damage on chest shots.
I was reloading Speer 145 gr which all exited normally. I'll look up the load and PM it to you if you want?

I've got a 7mm Rem Mag and killed 14 head of game in South Africa very recently. I also use 160 grain Nosler Accubond going just shy of 3000fps.

The rifle and load worked fantasticly knocking everything over, most animals fell on the spot. The smallest animals I shot were Impala ewes, the biggest a kudu.

The exits were no worse than what I have with my 270win with a cheaper non bonded bullet.

A friend of mine has a 7mm RM, he was using 154gr SST as I recall, they were travelling at 3000fps+. They literally exploded on impact, so the entry wound looked more like a shotgun wound, absolutely no penetration whatsoever. He obviously changed his load immediately and now will only shoot bonded bullets.

IMO, Like others have advised select a heavier bullet, 160gr plus.

I shoot mine with no mod, but with a muzzle brake. The recoil again is no worse than my modded 270, I am yet to shoot my 7mm RM with a mod on.

Good luck with the 7mm rem mag. I love mine and will be taking it on many other hunting trips at home and abroad.

I have just seen a picture today of a skinned red carcass that I shot a couple of months ago at about 120 yards with a 162 SST and the damage was considerable. Shame really because they were accurate. Back to the 140 TSX for me but I may also try the 160g partition and 160 accubond

Hello. I've addressed this with the fact that you are wanting MODERATE VELOCITY 150 GRAIN BULLET performane from the 7mm RM.

So on those terms I cannot see ANY benefit (unless you are getting a quality rifle dirt cheap) that using 150 grain bullets in a 7mm RM will give you and many disbenefits. You already have a .270WCF and whilst I would not advise you to go down the .280 Remington (as it is too obscure here in UK) route here's my 2 pence's worth:

1) You can already get decent, good, 150 grain bullet loadings in the .270 as factory ammunition. These will give you what you want to achieve with your 7mm RM but additionally you will have one extra round capacity in the rifle and no feeding issues through the useless and unnecessary belt on the 7mm RM. I tried some years ago a P-Hale 7mm RM. It fed the first round from the magazine well enough and the second with reluctance. It jammed on the third round. Every time.

2) If you handload you will be using more powder in your 7mm RM to get exactly the same velocity that your .270 will give for less powder. And no issues of maybe, or maybe not, needing to use magnum rated primers.

3) It will be a bitch to sell here in the UK. On the plus side used 7mm RM dies from the USA bought off eBay will be cheap.

Now, if you are talking using 160 grain or 170 grain bullets that all that changes. Except of course that RWS now does 155 grain Evolution loads and SAKO did do the 156 grain Hammerhead (and component bullets too) in .270. And your template calls for merely 150 grain bullet loadings.

So it is only if you are going to heavier weight bullets that the 7mm RM offers any advantage and that, only, because it takes .284" diameter bullets.

So in conclusion:

a) Stick with your .270 and just buy or load 150 grain bullets.

b) Whilst .280 Remington does it well enough, better than the .270 IMHO, it is too obscure here in the UK.

c) The 7x64 is brilliant and you'll get all that factory TIG, TUG, H-Mantel and other German "exotics" as factory standard.

d) If you do want another calibre other than .270 the bog standard ordinary 30-06 will do it all, without fanfare, with the least bother and at the least cost with 150 grain bullets at moderate velocity.

I've a .270 and a .280 and have just put in for a variation for a 7x64. But the feeding issue and the loss of a round capacity puts me off the 7mm RM. And the waste of powder...

Here in UK?

If you want a 7mm RM on the basis of wanting a rifle to fire moderate velocity 150 grain bullet loads? Get a .30-06...it will do ALL that and go up to 180 and 200 grain bullets too at moderate velocity.

Last edited:
Just to interject, Kernow Stalker does not have a .270 nor did he say he did. Your points are of course still valid I just wanted to clarify.

I don't have a 7mm RM but I do have a .270 (in fact 2 of them) and a 300WM

Recoil first - its just physics - force vs. weight. chuck heavy bullets faster in a lighter rifle for more recoil.
Stick a mod on a light rifle to reduce recoil
Make a poorly fitting rifle fit properly to reduce perceived recoil

Damage - POI, bullet choice both weight and construction and speed will determine carcase damage -
-I have shot roe with 130gr .270 Interlock loads and shots that go through shoulder bones are very destructive on exit.
-I have shot yearling red followers with 180gr 300wm Corelokt rounds pushing 3100 fps , chest shots missing shoulder bones are no more destructive than 130gr rounds with a .270 or even slower/smaller rounds like a .243 with less solid bullet

Back