Moderators

dropmdead

Hi folks, I was wondering if you can clear something up or offer advice.

I was speaking to one of my shooting buddies the other night. He went in to his local rfd to change over his well used and decidedly dead moderator for his .270. It's been a while since he'd done changed anything on his shooting rig (he is rather tight fisted I might add.....).

He was told that to replace/swap his moderator for a new one, he would have to do a 1-4-1 variation.

If this is the case for him, it may mean a 3 month wait for the variation and no shooting since his .270 is his one and only rifle, and the moderator had been entered on his licence with a make, model, pitch thread. His land owner insists on all rifles to be moderated.

If this is the case, should we all have 2 moderators for each rifle since there is a good chance that the moderator will "wear out" before the rifle will?

It is correct that he will need a 141. Pain in the rectum which many RFD's sidestep by just doing a swap, although legally they really shouldn't.

speaking for myself all my mods are the same thread so i can swap if need be,no help i know,and yes hes supposed to do a 1 4 1 but on here theres a few lads that have sensible/or not? rfd,s that will do straight swaps,atb doug,

Last edited:
It really makes our already over burdened feo's work load greater than necessary, not to mention my shooting buddy out of work for 3 months......

With this in mind, should we all have 2 moderators for each rifle on our licence, one space filled with the moderator you use, and the space available to buy as and when necessary to continue your tasks required by your land owner when you change your moderator via 1-4-1 and want to continue shooting.

It's madness having moderators as Section 1 anyway. The SAK is a perfect case in point....buy it for an air rifle & it's non-FAC. But stick it on a rimmy without it on your ticket & you're in the sh1 t??? Complete lunacy :cuckoo:

Or buy a totally strippable moderator such as the wildcat and just replace the bits as and when. A bit like Trigger's broom - 6 new heads and three new handles. :lol:

Hi folks, I was wondering if you can clear something up or offer advice.

I was speaking to one of my shooting buddies the other night. He went in to his local rfd to change over his well used and decidedly dead moderator for his .270. It's been a while since he'd done changed anything on his shooting rig (he is rather tight fisted I might add.....).

He was told that to replace/swap his moderator for a new one, he would have to do a 1-4-1 variation.

If this is the case for him, it may mean a 3 month wait for the variation and no shooting since his .270 is his one and only rifle, and the moderator had been entered on his licence with a make, model, pitch thread. His land owner insists on all rifles to be moderated.

If this is the case, should we all have 2 moderators for each rifle since there is a good chance that the moderator will "wear out" before the rifle will?

I believe some forces will word one for ones "may purchase.... on the sale of ....." which would enable your friend to keep his mod in the meantime (unless it's really really dead of course?)

If it is, then it might be worth a firm but kindly worded phone call to the firearms department explaining the situation and seeing if he can drive down for a one for one whilst he waits.

Or is theref another silencer on an estate rifle he can use whilst on the estate in the meantime?

Its a good reason to have the same thread on all your barrels- I can use my .308 silencer to tide me over on all my other rifles :)

Last edited:
unless your RFD was willing to "replace under warranty"........
no 141 required, I also suspect that as the moderator is unlikely to have a serial number it would be entirely down to the RFD in question

You don't need a 1-4-1 for a like for like rifle (sell/px old .270 and replace with new .270) IF it's just handwritten on the chit.
The RFD just crosses one out and writes the other.
The problem only arises when the rifle is in print on there for any reason.

Thats the advice that my FLD gave me. They do not require you to send your chit in when you add a new rifle so they can add it in print either.
Unless it is in print it works the same way as a shotgun chit basically.

I would presume (but don't know) that they would operate the same with a moddy.

You don't need a 1-4-1 for a like for like rifle (sell/px old .270 and replace with new .270) IF it's just handwritten on the chit.

Thats the advice that my FLD gave me. They do not require you to send your chit in when you add a new rifle so they can add it in print either.

i doubt the legality of the above but am prepared to be corrected

I don't know who told you that Jim but I think that they are very much mistaken.

done 1-4-1 with rfd's at the shop few times as mod has mvm/ no number walk in with one mod xyz walk out with new mod with mvm no number give over old one , so still only got one on cert !! tube of steel new for old swap out. its just like having your barrel changed same cal for same cal .

:eek:

I don't know which chit you're referring to Jim, but you might well end up in the sh*t if you follow that course of action.

Irrespective of whether an entry is still handwritten on your FAC or printed on it following a variation or renewal, you still can't just swap it over without a 1-4-1.

Home Office Guidance S.10.61 applies:

10.61 A variation is always necessary if a certificate holder wishes to change one of the firearms,
even if they wish to purchase one identical to the one they are selling (Wilson v Coombe,
Queen’s Bench Divisional Court, July 1988). “One for one” variation refers to firearms that
are authorised to be acquired following the disposal of a firearm or a request to change
an existing authority to acquire.

In addition S.33 of the Fireams Amendment Act 1997 covers notification of transactions and if you don't comply you could face a severe penalty.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1997/5/section/33

It's a minefield out there - tread lightly!

EDIT TO ADD:

I should have mentioned that in the dim distant past, failure to comply with this procedure was rammed home to me and the seller rather forcibly when I bought a mint S&W K22 after disposing of a very accurate but unreliable Britarms 2000 UIT pistol without, you've guessed it, obtaining a 1-4-1. No doubt in today's more sensationalised times I'd be doing time, or at the very least would have lost my FAC. As it was I endured an uncomfortable 'interview without coffee' as the error of my ways was pointed out.

Last edited:
Well it's a good job I never did follow their advice!!

Obviously a massive misunderstanding on their part. Both my RFD's are very knowledgable so likely as not wouldn't have allowed it anyway.

Good to know the true story and backed up by HO guidelines quote as well.
I do like that document.

just as an after thought ,maybe your mate can get in touch with jacksons as im sure someone on here said they do a rebate/reduced buy for his old one for new one,any condition,

They do but without a 141 the only way they can legally do it is to "replace a faulty" one!
i have had a faulty one replaced and had it mailed direct to me so have first hand experience of this

As far as I was led to believe from my buddy is , the rfd basically said that for the last while he has been only accepting moderator purchases and 1-4-1 ie. With a free slot......
I suppose an rfd's angle is he has to account for the possible destruction of dead moderators and has "nothing" of them coming in the shop.....

If you sell a .270 but dont replace at the time do you need a 1 4 1 to replace it later.

Back