Rangefinding Binoculars

Ballistic Algorithm to 600 (so limited functionality for longer ranges,, can't find any data re if the RF is switchable between Yds and meters - anyone know if they are one or the other or both?

Whats the differences between HD-R and HD-B??

Found this while looking for beam divergence against the benchmark Vectronic Terrapin unit - some comparison testing with several other (including leica) RF

Vectronix Terrapin Review | PrecisionRifleBlog.com

Last edited:
Both have a setting for yds or mtr in the menu, only difference is the HD-B has the built in ballistics calculator

how are you finding the 10x ? I'm thinking of a pair but cannot decide between 8 and 10 power. Any problems with excessive shake or fussy focus?

My wife got me a pair of Geovids (8x) 9 years ago. She said the 8x would be better than the 10x when viewing from a standing position. They still work perfectly and I have no regrets, but if buying again, I would buy the 10x!

My wife got me a pair of Geovids (8x) 9 years ago. She said the 8x would be better than the 10x when viewing from a standing position. They still work perfectly and I have no regrets, but if buying again, I would buy the 10x!

I have 10x standard bins and all my rf bins have been 8x... there is slightly more image wobble with 10x which, in short bursts, is fine but if glassing for long periods gets fatiguing as your eyes are imperceptibly but constantly chasing an image round... field of view is better with 8x... you have more chance of seeing something and it is easier to find a target.. 10x does give you slightly more magnification so you would think that would be a huge bonus but if you get the chance, try some 8x side by side with 10x... the real world difference that extra magnification gives you whilst glassing is actually quite minimal and, in my opinion, isn't worth the extra fatigue and loss of FOV.

The other point to note too, which comes back to the image wobble is that, certainly with longer targets, that extra wobble will result in error readings from the RF.. Interestingly though, according to leica and most other manufacturers, 10x is the bigger seller, although I think those numbers are distorted by the biggest market, the US, where hunting ranges are far greater than those common in Europe.

I have tried 10x on the open hill and they were great, in forests, they put you at a distinct disadvantage over an 8x optic!

Last edited:
Both have a setting for yds or mtr in the menu, only difference is the HD-B has the built in ballistics calculator

The HD-B does not just have the ballistics calculator the other things that are different from the HD-R are that it is magnesium body not aluminium, different prism system and the range finder also takes into consideration angle to give the true ballistic range.

I have used mine a couple of times in the field, they are awesome.It is easy to programme the card with custom settings the only wierd thing with the programming side is that it will not allow you to change the height of the scope in the settings , it is fixed at 1.98...inches which is luckily very close to my set up. If it wasn't though it would have a large effect on the ballistics, it's funny how the bins are able to take into consideration air pressure and tempreture which have minimal effects but you can't set the height of your scope!
By all means tell me if I am doing something wrong.

The HD-B does not just have the ballistics calculator the other things that are different from the HD-R are that it is magnesium body not aluminium, different prism system and the range finder also takes into consideration angle to give the true ballistic range.
that sounds like the old HD-R, not the new type 402/403 which are both perger prism models

Ballistic Algorithm to 600 (so limited functionality for longer ranges,, can't find any data re if the RF is switchable between Yds and meters - anyone know if they are one or the other or both?

Whats the differences between HD-R and HD-B??

Found this while looking for beam divergence against the benchmark Vectronic Terrapin unit - some comparison testing with several other (including leica) RF

Vectronix Terrapin Review | PrecisionRifleBlogMm.com

yes switchable from yards with moa correction to m with cm correction (ie 0.1 mil by my reckoning which will suit all my scopes!). Presumably the inclinometer will still give a corrected range out to further than 6-700m so it is still ahead on functionality than the otherwise astoundingly capable Terrapin. I like the look of the big and bulky vectronix vector RF binos that range to over 30,000 yards but that may be excessive for my needs!

Will be be with me by end of next week so we can have a play at Ricks on some steel

I have used mine a couple of times in the field, they are awesome.It is easy to programme the card with custom settings the only wierd thing with the programming side is that it will not allow you to change the height of the scope in the settings , it is fixed at 1.98...inches which is luckily very close to my set up. If it wasn't though it would have a large effect on the ballistics, it's funny how the bins are able to take into consideration air pressure and tempreture which have minimal effects but you can't set the height of your scope!
By all means tell me if I am doing something wrong.

As previously posted (and straight from the horses mouth... Leica Germany) No ballistics computer other than ehr angle compensation (which only works out to 600yds not the full rf range as in the HD-B,) no environment sensors (so no temp or humidity,) Aluminium body rather than magnesium.. (although the specs from Leica USA seem to contradict this) Other than that... same binoculars, glass, prism etc..

so.. the saving effectively comes from the much less complex electronics package and (possibly) the chassis material..

As previously posted (and straight from the horses mouth... Leica Germany) No ballistics computer other than ehr angle compensation (which only works out to 600yds not the full rf range as in the HD-B,) no environment sensors (so no temp or humidity,) Aluminium body rather than magnesium.. (although the specs from Leica USA seem to contradict this) Other than that... same binoculars, glass, prism etc..

so.. the saving effectively comes from the much less complex electronics package and (possibly) the chassis material..

Maybe the Americans get a different spec than us , I have been trying to find it but there is a table somewhere with the specs side by side that's where I got my info from and I'm sure it was the 402 listed.

I have a pair of the Geovid HDR 402.
I have just checked in the manual ( under the English heading) and it states that the body is made from dia cast Magnesium.
Just to clarify.

I have a pair of the Geovid HDR 402.
I have just checked in the manual ( under the English heading) and it states that the body is made from dia cast Magnesium.
Just to clarify.

there you go then.. Price difference down to the electronics package only

Back